What's new

Will males continue to drop pollen if seperated and left in the dark?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I want to collect a nice amount of pollen but don't want to risk any uncontrolled pollination, what's the best way of doing it when you don't have a dedicated male flowering chamber
The way I control male pollen is to pick out the best male. Then I prune it down slowly to reduce the vegetation all over the plant. I can start pruning a week before flipping. In the end, I will only have a few chosen branches left to collect pollen from and watch everything closely. It only takes a little.

Old Piney

I wouldn't put it in the dark. I watch the male closely and hand pick the first flower buds off before they open .Do this until there is a good flush ready to open and then isolate and collect pollen. When the buds start to hang down and have a little stem they are about to open. Just room light is good for isolating but better is just a compact fluorescent in a closet. A little pollen from just a few flowers can go a long way especially if you cut it with flour to help spread it

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Best way I've found to keep a male in the flowering area the longest... pick off and eat the striped pods every day. When you're picking and eating a handful, you should have a massive number of ripening pods.

THEN move it to a dark area for pollen collection and you'll get plenty. ;)

ZK7

I got paranoid about pollen dropping so removed the males. Loads of flower clusters are appearing now

Latest posts

Latest posts