What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Wild Releases?

ScythianGold

Anybody else do wild releases? I want to make sure they can never make this shit illegal again and go and seed a couple thousand mixed seeds way out somewhere in the middle of nowhere. A couple of places actually.

goingrey

I did it once and nothing came of it, the spot ended up flooded in fact, and I'm pleased with that because maybe it's not such a great idea to mess with ecosystems in this way.

ScythianGold

I did it once and nothing came of it, the spot ended up flooded in fact, and I'm pleased with that because maybe it's not such a great idea to mess with ecosystems in this way.
Hmm interesting take. Definitely something to consider. Hemp has already been introduced across the US. Lots of other plants have been introduced, ornamentals, etc. Not sure cannabis will cause more damage but I will think about the possible side-effects.

doublezero

I also did it once a few years ago. Thinking about a reason it was more like a statement "Look, cannabis, what a nice plant, *they* should not be against it", something many people agree with, some silently. Whenever you see people see or smell a cannabis plant the corners of their mouths go up and not down, right?

I did not control all the spots along 20km of my bicycle ride back then, nor do I remember them all. I had quite a few seeds of euopean hemp varieties with me :)

That said, those domestic varieties may have spred around, but no "This x That" high THC would have spread around, would it?
Of course the hemp varieties also have been altered over time but they would fit more into my region I guess.

I still have a few thousand seeds. Will I spread them again? I don't know. Maybe I will instead choose some dedicated spots to make them look nicer or place them on my balcony as a bamboo substitute :D

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
We had a seeded crop of blueberry one year. Saved all the seeds and spread them across a wooded hill out in the sticks. Huge area 1000's of seeds. We were hard pressed to find a single plant come fall. It was fun though.

CannaZen

The wild hemp leftover specially adapted and small colonies along an untouched River bank or something, look them up. There was a time I wanted to plant seeds all over the place I was so enthusiastic, same thing.

ScythianGold

Yes I am skeptical they will be able to reproduce successfully but I have some Himalayan landrace in there and they have the seed shattering genetic trait so I think it may work. I have had volunteer plants pop up the past few years.