What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do experienced growers still use plastic pots?

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Out-fucking-standing!

I'm trying to bank up as much as I possibly can now, because I'm getting to the age where I'm starting to wonder how much longer I can keep it up... so to speak. :ROFLMAO:

The thought of actually purchasing a cannabis product is repugnant to me.

I've got a bunch vacuum packed and stored in mason jars. I've done BHO extractions for real long-term storage but I'm going to keep growing as long as I can, and keep banking it up for when I can't do it anymore.

in all honesty nests , we did g a little overboard in the garden a couple years ago

but here was our reasoning: Covid had hit and business were shutting down , new rules everywhere , and there was talk that they would close dispensaries

not that that would be a problem for us , but we saw an opportunity to help others , others being medical cannabis users…..and we did

we called it our Covid Crop of 2020 😂😂😂

Runoff was bad in fabric pots, keeping the pots moist enough meant coming back to full drip trays after every watering. Did the plastic liner. It just concentrates the mold in one area.

So here's what we started doing:

fabric-in-pot1.png

fabric-root-prunes.png

faster-transplant.png

time-flexibility.png

CharlesU Farley

Runoff was bad in fabric pots, keeping the pots moist enough meant coming back to full drip trays after every watering. Did the plastic liner. It just concentrates the mold in one area.

So here's what we started doing:

View attachment 18977609

View attachment 18977610

View attachment 18977613

View attachment 18977615
Now that was a brilliant idea, respect.

I never overwater but sometimes shit happens and I get run off, that just collects in the tent liner and evaporates. Definitely makes the mold problem more prominent.

I may give that a go at some point in the future, thanks for posting!

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
we are smoking some 2+ yr cured Durban Poison x Triangle Kush

so yeah , we have plenty of medicine to last us a few more years

dried and cured properly , double sealed vacuum packed and into the fridge/freezer it is amazing how long cannabis will last

we also make all our own concentrates and edibles

good medicine for us , no bucks , we are retired and in our 70’s…..

cheers
big

View attachment 18977315
We aint payin for no stinkin cannabis products either.
😆

CharlesU Farley

I dont know why people are afraid of runoff. I flood the pot so it forces the stale air out of the medium and sucks in new fresh air. Usually 10-20% runoff.

As long as the soil is 1/3 perlite or equal drainage, rice hulls are great, there is no problem watering to runoff.
I'm not afraid of it, I just don't like the mess.

I don't agree with your premise of "flushing stale air out, sucking new air" but as is _always_ the case with growing cannabis, whatever works for you, is what you do.

I just can't imagine ever analyzing any type of runoff fluid for any EC or any other measurement that would be of any benefit to me, whatsoever.

When you're busy doing all of those measurements, checking your apps, fine tuning your fertilizer strategy, trying to make sure everything is just perfect, is when you miss this:
21e13806-4a4c-4ac8-b99a-0b80017d9cec-1_all_2383.jpg

That's the only section that has any PM, out of this tent:
21e13806-4a4c-4ac8-b99a-0b80017d9cec-1_all_2426.jpg

I know everybody thinks this is hippie dippy bullshit from back in the day, when there was peace and love, when everything was so perfect, and everybody loved each other, blah blah blah blah blah, _but_:

..if you listen to the plant and take care of the plant, it'll let you know what it needs and it will take care of you.

If I was measuring and calculating all that runoff shit, no way I would have seen this.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
each to their own...
these are the things that i dislike about airpots.
They dry out too quickly and leave a layer of soil that is useless to the roots.
Hard to evenly re-wet.
They lack rigidity and cant really be moved once the plants are in or you will risk root damage.
They don't stack neatly :D

VG :tiphat:

Mr Jay

Veteran
Uh, so, I keep seeing people mentioning the fabric pots vs plastic pots like the fabric itself isn't plastic and I'm wondering if I missed something?

CharlesU Farley

hey charlie, use potassium bicarbonate and soak your plants...mildew is gone in seconds...I follow up every other watering for it...
Been doing that for many years now Boo, guess you haven't read the website? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I'm not aware of a whole lot of people using KCO3 for PM, and especially botrytis. Two tablespoons in a 2 gallons of spring water, a little squirt of Dawn and an extra squirt of canola, and I'm good to go.

I'm going to be starting to thread here in a while about what I've been trying to accomplish with a branching Type II cannabis pheno I've been working on. I know from another thread you mentioned _structure_, and that's the primary, motivating purpose of what I'm trying to do. Multiple, branching bud stalks with no need to top, fim, etc. to get them to spread out:
orange_bud_outside (1).jpg

branch_fans.jpg

This is from the current grow, and so far most of the plants are doing what I want:
1000010898.jpg

Boo, hope you'll join in, could use your experience and we might be able to teach the younger ones that you don't have to do douche everything with STS to develop quality cannabis.

UB, could use your input too, even though I know you're a firm believer in topping. I just never couldn't bring myself to hack the apical meristem. o_O

CharlesU Farley

Uh, so, I keep seeing people mentioning the fabric pots vs plastic pots like the fabric itself isn't plastic and I'm wondering if I missed something?
It's not the material it's constructed of, its the roots reaction to the container that it's in, that this thread is about.

Not trying to save the world by using less plastic containers in developing cannabis. ;)

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
For the past 15 years I’ve been using those convoluted slip pots exclusively. I’ve gotten so bad that I will not plant a plant unless I have a container in that shape. I find the easiest way to clean pots is to fill a large garbage can like one of the brute ones With a couple cups of acid and the rest water. I throw my buckets in that for a week and I just have to rinse them with the garden hose and they look like they’re new. As far as topping goes, I let the plants tell me what they want. The one that I posted with what I consider Excellent structure I took out the center of the plant and got five clones from it that I’ve rooted and they’re beautiful. I understand your hesitancy on cutting the center of the plant out when I found a certain plants to thrive when I do it, I guess whatever works the right way for each of us