What's new

Who says Potassium will stimulate flowering?

Old Uncle Ben

"You'll notice in this story that flowering has not come up once. If you read a good plant physiology text you'll find the same. That's because potassium has no direct role in promoting flowering in most plants."

And while I'm at it, my ditty on phosphorous abuse, if you haven't already seen it.

The never ending abuse of Phosphorous to enhance flowering

A common mistake for growers when they reach the flowering stage is to start hitting the plants with a high P fert like a 10‑50‑10, continuing to use this blend exclusively, and when their plants start experiencing a deficit of N, Ca, Mg or micros as reflected by the dropping of lower leaves and chlorosis, they wonder why. Plants flower as a response to long nights (or chronological age if equatorial), not because of food blends high in P (or K). A ratio of 10‑30‑10 is WAY too high in P. The plant will only take what it needs and compete for other elements that may be more important at the time.

You may have heard that too much N can inhibit flowering. No question about it, exclusive use of a plant food that is rich in N such as blood meal, a 5‑1‑1 blend, or ammonium nitrate/sulfate may inhibit flowering especially if the phosphorous level is low, but most balanced blends have sufficient amount of P to do the job. The question is ‑ "how much P is enough to support a good flowering response and still retain my leaves?"

Manufacturers/horticulturists will give you element analysis and what effect the elements have on plant growth, but remember this does not necessarily mean you will get better yields. Using a high P fert exclusively during flowering can actually work against you due to impending leaf drop. It's an abundant amount of healthy leaves going into 12/12 and maintaining their health until harvest that produces a lot of bud, not high P, or low N foods.

I rotate fertilizer blends as the plant *requires* them, not because it is "the thing to do." For example, when your plants are going thru the stretch phase during early flowering, they may need more N, especially if you're getting some yellowing in the lower leaves. Give up the cannabis paradigms and give them what they need. You may want to return to a mild high P fert when the stretch ends, maintaining the foliage in a healthy state of growth until harvest for maximum yields. A 1‑3‑2 blend such as Peter's Pro Blossom Booster, 10‑30‑20, is a good choice because of several factors ‑ it is higher in nitrate N and Mg and has a good micro package. It is sold under the Jack's Classic label.

There are many foods I stock in my toolbox. Dyna-Gro is another excellent brand. I use a lot of their Foliage Pro - 9-3-6.

Stay away from cannabis specific foods. They market unsuspecting newbies who don’t yet have a handle on plant nutrition and soil chemistry.

Uncle Ben

CocoNut 420

I only use a+b base nutrients nothing more.
_20220511_171627.JPG

No one likes a show off so I'll leave it at this ;-)

CocoNut 420

No there's no real purpose for it that i can think of but I do enjoy it when I'm bored.

Originally I wanted to see if the different root stock affected the yeilds.
For example putting a poor yielding plant onto a heavy yielding root stock, you know some plants naturally have a better root system.
20231130_192304.jpg

It turns out I've got the answer afaik it won't make any odds, but it's fun.

xtsho

No way. I read on the internet from some stoner differently. You should also cut out all N in flower so that the leaves can turn yellow and get rid of all the stored nutes so you won't be smoking them. It's called the "Fade." :biggrin:

What does some guy with a PhD in Horticultural Science know about plants? Does he have a website called Grow Easy Weed selling all those wonderful nutrient supplements that you need to grow cannabis? I can't find it. All I can find is some boring peer reviewed research papers. Nothing promising to produce buds the size of basketballs on my cannabis plants. :biggrin:

mexweed

Veteran
Decrease in light/increase in dark hours stimulates flowering in photoperiod strains

Phosphorus and potassium are essential macronutrients

As a plant produces fruits it needs more nutrition to support the increase in volume

There must be adequate availability in what is holding and providing the nutrients, typically either the soil or reservoir

As a plant grows so does its root system, the more developed the root system the more efficiently the plant can access the available nutrients

Increased availability is typically achieved by organic matter in a soil breaking down and becoming available as the plant grows, time released fertilizers that provide an increase in nutrition as the plant grows, or an increased concentration of nutrients in the water being held in a reservoir

An excess of a nutrient can disrupt the availability of other essential nutrients, as can a ph imbalance, decreasing or completely halting the production of fruit

CocoNut 420

It's probably a bit controversial but in some circumstances big root systems are over rated, or maybe just not worth the trouble, a huge root ball ime doesn't equal anything?

For ages I've been vegging in a minimal amount of coco.
This is me re potting for flowering.
Screenshot_20231215_195405_Gallery.jpg

I've never really noted dates but it doesn't take long to fill out with roots.
That was re potted 23rd December and this picture was 8th of January, its barely started stretching!
Screenshot_20240120_000724_Gallery.jpg

It would be fair to think it's not going to be the greatest yeilder but no, surprisingly some of the heaviest weights I've ever had have been grown in this manner 220/250g frequently and up to 284g my best to date (1 plant of 6)

Yeah I know it doesn't stack up?
IMG_20230504_000733 (1).jpg

What can I say ;-)

Old Uncle Ben

It's probably a bit controversial but in some circumstances big root systems are over rated, or maybe just not worth the trouble, a huge root ball ime doesn't equal anything?

For ages I've been vegging in a minimal amount of coco.
This is me re potting for flowering.
View attachment 18948581
I've never really noted dates but it doesn't take long to fill out with roots.
That was re potted 23rd December and this picture was 8th of January, its barely started stretching!
View attachment 18948584
It would be fair to think it's not going to be the greatest yeilder but no, surprisingly some of the heaviest weights I've ever had have been grown in this manner 220/250g frequently and up to 284g my best to date (1 plant of 6)

Yeah I know it doesn't stack up?
View attachment 18948585
What can I say ;-)

That's because root pruning systems are 10X as efficient in smaller pots no less than a conventional pot where roots will spin out.

Plants look great.

CocoNut 420

That's because root pruning systems are 10X as efficient in smaller pots no less than a conventional pot where roots will spin out.

Plants look great.
I'm huge fan of root pruning but tbh i didn't know that was the key component for my root balls, the root pouches i use root prune from early days so they're ideal for my purposes they make a good start for a 5ltr pot.

That root pic in the post above is another example of the method.

I should say I'm specifically trying to grow smaller plants hence the unusual method.

Terpyterps

Yes it is true that people are using way too much PK if they use those hot booster available. I do add few weeks of 0-8-9 and with half of the dose. It’s more important that you do follow your base flowering schedule than those PK booster. Then you give nutrients at correct ratio and people would be anyway better off using bio stimulants before they do anything extra. Then if you go for PK boosters you should fix also calcium ratio etc. But cannabis doesn’t need that much that we are led to believe by markets. Mainly using different bio stimulants nowadays when in flowering, humic and fulvic acids, fish mix, MSA, beneficial bacteria and fungi etc. No issues with nutrients, lack or overdosing and flowers are stacking very nicely.

Old Uncle Ben

Yes it is true that people are using way too much PK if they use those hot booster available. I do add few weeks of 0-8-9 and with half of the dose. It’s more important that you do follow your base flowering schedule than those PK booster. Then you give nutrients at correct ratio and people would be anyway better off using bio stimulants before they do anything extra. Then if you go for PK boosters you should fix also calcium ratio etc. But cannabis doesn’t need that much that we are led to believe by markets. Mainly using different bio stimulants nowadays when in flowering, humic and fulvic acids, fish mix, MSA, beneficial bacteria and fungi etc. No issues with nutrients, lack or overdosing and flowers are stacking very nicely.

Got pix?

I give nutrients based on what the plant needs. Am about 5 weeks into a 12/12 and hit some yesterday with a 9-3-6 Foliage Pro. Getting way too much leaf yellowing.

Tomatoesonly

Got pix?

I give nutrients based on what the plant needs. Am about 5 weeks into a 12/12 and hit some yesterday with a 9-3-6 Foliage Pro. Getting way too much leaf yellowing.
What do you think is causing the yellowing? Not enough osmocote or not enough biological material for nitrogen?

Terpyterps

Got pix?

Sure. I’ll throw in some pix today later on. I’m also fixing while going, but because I am using organic nutrients they might take week to two weeks before they are actually fixing the issues. For that I got some bottled nutrients for quick fixes, because I rather give my plants tiny bit salt based or readily available products to fix them than letting them to take the hit. But no problems at the moment, gave last dose Fish Mix so they won’t fade so fast, still going to have them 3 weeks at least in flower. When I introduced Aptus Regulator that has MSA and Molybdenum and they where running out of Nitrogen, Molybdenum started to move it from lower leaves to upper ones and caused fading to start bit faster than anticipated at first.

Terpyterps

WS5aPVk.jpeg

Gorilla bud

y5tWvYh.jpeg

Right to left(Sticky Orange XXL, Gorilla, Strawberry Gorilla and Mimosa) all of them are autos and are at 18/6 light schedule. Still good 3 weeks at least before they really are fat and ripe. At the bottom left is photoperiodic plants veggin for next run. Those burns are old and they are responding well for the LED at the moment.

Terpyterps

Lights are at full power and 12 inches away from the tops, few tops are closer but it’s not issue. Thanks for the bio char that they drink two to three times a week only 1L at once each plant. Nothing crazy going on, little bit for filling out the medicine cabinet for the spring and summer, so no expectation on the yield, everything above zero is more than perfect. RH at sharp 45% and temps at 77f/25c. Would like to run it tiny bit lower temp like 67-73f/21-23c. But I let night temps drop at 64.5f/18c.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts