What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

White House drug czar: DC should be allowed to legalize marijuana

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
</HEADER> <FIGURE>
454235620.0.0.jpg
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> <FIGCAPTION class=p-caption>Michael Botticelli, acting head of the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy.

The head of the White House's drug policy office on Friday suggested Washington, DC, should be able to legalize marijuana without federal obstruction.
"As a resident of the District, I might not agree about legalization," Michael Botticelli, acting director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, said at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, "but I do agree with our own ability to spend our own money the way that we want to do that."
The White House showed similar support for DC home rule in previous statements. But the comments from the drug czar, a position typically held by hardliners in the war on drugs, signal a significant change in the politics of US drug policy.
In November, Washington, DC, voters overwhelmingly approved legalizing the possession, growing, and gifting of marijuana in the nation's capital. The initiative is currently in front of Congress for a mandatory 30-day review period; if Congress doesn't act — as is widely expected — it could become law in DC.
Congress passed a spending deal in December that attempted to block the legalization initiative from taking effect. But DC Council bypassed the spending deal, pushing the measure to the congressional review period anyway.
This is the second time this week the White House has made comments widely praised by marijuana legalization advocates. Earlier this week, US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy said "marijuana can be helpful" for some medical conditions and symptoms.
http://www.vox.com/2015/2/6/7994139/marijuana-legalization-michael-botticelli

It has always amazed me how alchol prohibition was practically overturned in days and here we are decades after marijuana prohibition and only now it's slowly shifting to tolerance. I just hope in my lifetime it's legal everywhere. The leaf of the tree of life is the healing of all nations.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
It has always amazed me how alchol prohibition was practically overturned in days and here we are decades after marijuana prohibition and only now it's slowly shifting to tolerance. I just hope in my lifetime it's legal everywhere. The leaf of the tree of life is the healing of all nations.

nearly 90% of the politicians drank then, maybe the same as now. if that many congressmen smoked weed, the laws would have been changed before most of us were born. politicians only want to change laws that inconvenience THEM and the rich cocksuckers that get them re-elected. gotta pay to play, my friends...

mr.brunch

Veteran
Same here in uk, every year they add loads of tax to beer/cigarettes but only mildly tax the scotch and cigars they consume.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Washington D.C.
IS THE SEAT OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND AS SUCH IS ABSOLUTELY UNDER FEDERAL JURISDICTION!!! Thers is no way for that City to get around this fact!!!

How the fuck can they get away with this without violating the FEDERAL laws they are subject to?

THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE from a legal standpoint!!! ALL CITIZENS OF D.C. ARE SUBJECT TO FEDERAL LAWS!!!

IF CANNABIS IS OK IN D.C. (THE ORIGINAL FEDERAL TERRITORY) THEN IT SHOULD BE OK ON EVERY SINGLE SQUARE INCH OF FEDERAL PROPERTY, including military installations & ANY OTHER PROPERTY CEEDED TO THE U.S. GOVERNMENT.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Washington D.C.
IS THE SEAT OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND AS SUCH IS ABSOLUTELY UNDER FEDERAL JURISDICTION!!! Thers is no way for that City to get around this fact!!!

How the fuck can they get away with this without violating the FEDERAL laws they are subject to?

THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE from a legal standpoint!!! ALL CITIZENS OF D.C. ARE SUBJECT TO FEDERAL LAWS!!!

IF CANNABIS IS OK IN D.C. (THE ORIGINAL FEDERAL TERRITORY) THEN IT SHOULD BE OK ON EVERY SINGLE SQUARE INCH OF FEDERAL PROPERTY, including military installations & ANY OTHER PROPERTY CEEDED TO THE U.S. GOVERNMENT.

It's not that simple. DC operates under the Home Rule Act & has since 1973. It grants them many of the rights of state govt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_Home_Rule_Act

Combine that with selective enforcement by the Obama DoJ as a matter of States' Rights to arrive at the current situation.

Pot shops in DC would violate federal law, but there would be nobody to bust them. Should that happen, federal prohibition would fall into complete disarray with the contradictions probably more than even Republicans could bear.

The schadenfreude of States' Rights & Home Rule rhetoric pushed back into authoritarian faces is delectable. It's the law of unintended consequences slapped hard up the side of their pie holes. All they can do is take it. The day that Obama turned that so deftly against them had to be a huge "Oh Shit!" moment.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not that simple. DC operates under the Home Rule Act & has since 1973. It grants them many of the rights of state govt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_Home_Rule_Act

Combine that with selective enforcement by the Obama DoJ as a matter of States' Rights to arrive at the current situation.

Pot shops in DC would violate federal law, but there would be nobody to bust them. Should that happen, federal prohibition would fall into complete disarray with the contradictions probably more than even Republicans could bear.

The schadenfreude of States' Rights & Home Rule rhetoric pushed back into authoritarian faces is delectable. It's the law of unintended consequences slapped hard up the side of their pie holes. All they can do is take it. The day that Obama turned that so deftly against them had to be a huge "Oh Shit!" moment.

"OH SHIT"...
Is getting closer... I believe it will have a lot more subject matter than what this forum is dedicated to.

It only takes about 5% of a population to start a revolution.
The fence riders will pick a side shortly thereafter.

Wonder what would happen in the event of global civil unrest?

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Read the wiki...
it doesn't say enough to satisfy my argument so downloading the law as written. ;)

Wiki gave zero indication that the District was excluded from Fed law.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Pot shops in DC would violate federal law, but there would be nobody to bust them.
I don’t think the DC law permits retail sales…just makes it legal to use, possess up to 2 oz, and grow up to 6 plants. Supposedly they are looking at additional legislation for retail, with regulation and taxation.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I don’t think the DC law permits retail sales…just makes it legal to use, possess up to 2 oz, and grow up to 6 plants. Supposedly they are looking at additional legislation for retail, with regulation and taxation.

Correct. DC govt seems very much inclined to move in that direction. They'll want to make sure there's plenty of product & that they get a piece of it.

http://www.mpp.org/states/district-of-columbia/

Like it or not, taxes are the price of legalization, with different states trying different implementations & models of production to accomplish that. Legal personal growing tends to keep 'em more honest & cautious about busting growers who might not be that.

Latest posts

Latest posts