What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Which Terpine is responsible for the great after burnt smell many great strains have.

KONY

Veteran
The smell can be described as burnt sage, frankincense, incense, palo santo wood or just sweet depending on who you ask.

It's in some strains and makes a very distinct smell when burnt. Can't hide or fake this smell, doesnt matter who grows the plant, unless its very unhappy it will exhibit it.

Most strains just smell like burnt smoke, however some leave a scent in the air that is mouthwatering (to a stoner) when you come back in the room, even 45 minutes later.

idiit

Veteran
png outa nanan bouclou, smcg ( santa marta Colombo gold), best hazes,. yeah, the smell in da room that causes everyone to turkey neck. is there a terp profile?

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think it's the terpene myrcene, read that this is the one that brings the church smell when burnt...

Some of my faves

Some of my faves

Linalool (S)-Linalool - Floral and Lavender
Aroma: floral and lavender (Sweet, flowery, citrus, candy like)
Effects: Anti-Anxiety, Stress Relief, Relaxation, can significantly reduce lung inflammation, and can restore cognitive and emotional function

Limonene – Sour, Citrus
Aroma: Sour, citrus (lemon, orange, grapefruit)
Effects: Uplifting, refreshing, euphoric, energized, de-stress and creativity

Terpineol - Lilac, Flower blossoms
Aroma: Sweet, floral, citrus, lilac
Effects: Strongly physically relaxing, responsible for the couchlock?

Myrcene (β-myrcene ) - Musky, Earthy, Herbal – akin to cloves
Aroma: musky, earthy, herbal – akin to cloves (Sweet, fruity, green vegetative, tropical, earthy)
Effects: Sedation and relaxation, anti-depressant or anti-anxiety

Pinene ( α-pinene & β-pinene ) - Pine, Earth
Aroma: Piney earthy
Effects: short term memory loss prevention and counteracts THC aiding mental focus enhancing alertness

Pulegone - Peppermint
Terpinoline - Piney, slight herbal and floral

Beta-caryophyllene - Peppery, Woody and/or Spicy
Aroma: Spicy, warm, sweet, woody, clove, camphor, peppery

Not sure by your description if myrcene is the right one tho, maybe
Borneol
Aroma: Spicy, menthol, camphor, pine, woody
Effects: Sedative, calming
Eucalyptol
Aroma: Spicy, minty, camphor
Effects: Centering, balancing and stimulating
Carene
Aroma: Sweet, cedar, pungent

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Terpinoline and Caryophyllene are also good candidates, there are plenty of terpenes however, some more prevalent than others, even still some mask the scent of others while some will combine to form their own distinct aromas in certain combos[/FONT]

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Scent is an orchestra - the individual terpenes are the instruments.

You don't smell one single terpene, you perceive them altogether at once. Trained noses/palates can pick out individual terpenes, especially when fresh/dry - just as some can listen carefully and hear the trumpet or oboe in the mix. The overall symphony created by all the instruments together is greater than any individual instrument alone - same goes for terps and scent/flavor. The total is greater than the sum of the parts.

Mohadib

Veteran
I've asked myself the same question, since I really adore that smell.
Considering I've experienced it mostly in strains that contain both Skunk and Haze, such as SSH, SLH or Jack Herer, and many of them seem to contain comparably high amounts of terpinolene, I came to the conclusion that it plays an important role in it.

However, since I don't have the opportunity to get my (or anyones) buds tested and can't know for sure that the samples that exhibit high amounts of terpinolene in fact give off that incense smell, this isn't much more than spaculation :dunno:

Latest posts

Latest posts