What's new

Which breeders test for pathogens?

Ca++

With the constant spread of things like the hops virus, I'm wondering if any seed breeders are regularly testing their stock. I have never heard of a v2.0 because v1.0 had to be destroyed. So I'm guessing nobody is spending $25 checking incoming plants, and randomly rechecking the mums people use off-site to make seeds for them.
I can't get the testing done here, but as a buyer, intending to get stock to last for years, $25 to test one of the runts from a pack is basic insurance. Yet I have not heard any breeder being outed for bad stock. People receiving physically ruined cuttings speak out, but there seems a total lack of screening where it matters.

I know a breeder with a good looking plant, doesn't want to spend $25 finding out it's bad. However, when a customer does, that could be big news. Only Bugbee has really spoke about testing his stock, and actually kept stuff that failed. Showing how unwilling people are to find and fix issues.

I would like to see breeders checking their stock, but more unimportantly, checking the seeds from other breeders. It's when they start firing shots, risking counter cases, that we know it's really happening. Only then, can I really pick the breeders I want to concentrate on. Knowing they are testing, because they are wrapped up in that firing shots game.

Diggy_Soze

The ones that don't test don't say anything, and the ones that do test are too busy to say anything. It's a guessing game with clones. That's why I only use breeder seeds for my medical cannabis.
Seeds can be vectors, too.
Even if the mom is clean but the dad is infected, the pollen can carry the pathogen across and the seeds can germinate already-infected.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Forget where I read it, but supposedly 20% chance of infected plant producing HLVD seeds. Not sure if that is all or nothing, or 20% of seeds from plant. Will do a little googling.

The second most likely source is from seeds harvested from infected flowering plants confirmed to contain the viroid, Punja said. This can occur at frequencies of 5% to 35%, depending on the level of initial infection in the flowering plant.Jun 8, 2023

Not sure why but link below does not show URL but to great article at cannabisbusinesstimes-

Last edited:

Diggy_Soze

Are there any sources for this or is this just a rumor?
You’re referring to pollen carrying pathogens? Zamir Punja with Medicinal Genomics showed females who were not infected produce seeds carrying HLVd when impregnated by males who were infected.

There are other pathogens that have been shown to pass over but you’d have to check on a case by case basis for each pathogen in question.

graser

I am a hobby grower and want to reach the professional standard if possible. For this I invest a lot of time and money in seeds, equipment and prevention.
If I then hear that whole strains are contaminated, that would be a reason to avoid them.
To the point - are there varieties that have been proven to transmit diseases with their seeds?
Without evidence, doubts are cast on all Cali Strains.
This is my problem with rumors.

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Veteran
You’re referring to pollen carrying pathogens? Zamir Punja with Medicinal Genomics showed females who were not infected produce seeds carrying HLVd when impregnated by males who were infected.

There are other pathogens that have been shown to pass over but you’d have to check on a case by case basis for each pathogen in question.
This is coming soon from tumi

The viral/ viral like panel will detect viruses and viroids that are known to infect cannabis and cause economic damage. This panel is appropriate if a viral/viroid infection is suspected, but the pathogen species is unknown. The virus/viroid pathogens identified by this assay include:

Hop Latent Viroid

Beet Curly Top Virus

Lettuce Chlorosis Virus

Tobacco Streak Virus

Hop Stunt Viroid (not identified in cannabis, but a likely emerging pathogen).

Diggy_Soze

To the point - are there varieties that have been proven to transmit diseases with their seeds?
Any and every plant is a potential vector — whether it’s a clone, or a seed, or a flower that you smoked before visiting your garden.

If any one varietal can transmit the pathogen in question, generally speaking, they ALL can.

Anyone else notice the vast number of ‘variegated’ cuts all of a sudden?

Shua1991

Seeds can be vectors, too.
Even if the mom is clean but the dad is infected, the pollen can carry the pathogen across and the seeds can germinate already-infected.
I believe this has been proven incorrect, the outer casing of the seeds/material can be sterilized with bleach, bleach kills viroids unlike other methods this sterilizes the outer casing for germination, the inner seed isn't usually contaminated in most cases.

Shua1991

You would think they would be saying that their seeds are free of pathogens and diseases all over their websites.. and instagrams.
Don’t think I’ve ever see that posted once.
That requires evidence, costly to provide. Only the big guys can afford that anyway. Small timers are just slinging seeds.

Diggy_Soze

I believe this has been proven incorrect, the outer casing of the seeds/material can be sterilized with bleach, bleach kills viroids unlike other methods this sterilizes the outer casing for germination, the inner seed isn't usually contaminated in most cases.

This is the dude I was referencing before.
They failed to find a concentration : soak time that sterilized the seeds without killing them.

You might very well be right, tho — embryo rescue might be a way around any pathogens — but the fact that we’re having this conversation proves seeds are, in fact, vectors. Lol

Diggy_Soze

You would think they would be saying that their seeds are free of pathogens and diseases all over their websites.. and instagrams.
Don’t think I’ve ever see that posted once.
That requires evidence, costly to provide. Only the big guys can afford that anyway. Small timers are just slinging seeds.
Yeah. Each different pathogen test is, let’s say, $10-$20. Four or five tests a piece times the ten or twenty different cuts they’re pollinating, and you’re up to a grand, easy. But money’s not even the worst part. It’s for a piece of paper that might tell you to throw your prized cuts in the trash.

Loc Dog

Veteran
$40 for tumi hlvd/fusarium test of mother. Sell 3 seeds and they break even. For end users issue is must buy 10 tests which last a year in fridge. No way to test seeds, unless throwing them all out if any test positive.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Yeah. Each different pathogen test is, let’s say, $10-$20. Four or five tests a piece times the ten or twenty different cuts they’re pollinating, and you’re up to a grand, easy. But money’s not even the worst part. It’s for a piece of paper that might tell you to throw your prized cuts in the trash.
If contaminated they are trash, and get a bad rep, and your done unless change name and start over like on strainly. Soon, if you do not test and post results, no one will deal with you unless they are testing.

Latest posts

Latest posts