What's new

Where does your coco run off go? Drain? Floor?

BongRipkenJR.

Zero runoff in coco doesnt seem like a great idea. I run 2 gallon smart pots on flood tables. I just have it drain into a container and then I water palm trees and other trees with the run off. I only have about 10-20% runoff so I don't get that much. Sometimes it evaporates pretty quite a bit. I use canna coco A+B, Flora Nectar, Cal/Mag, SNS A+B additive. I have no salt issues at all.

Granger2

Veteran
so this is how thecatsmeow has things set up, when running coco.

as seen in the picture below, my pots are filled with a layer of perlite just enough so the drains are blocked. then i fill the rest with my coco/perlite mix. each pot sits on a saucer and about every other day i hit them with a drain to waist watering. now the idea for me is that i dont wanna cause root rot by having each pot sit in the waste water so the perlite acts as a "riser" for the main root ball. this is the first time ive use chunky perlite, most times before i have used lava rock.... seems to work for me! hope this helps... :tiphat:
Cat,
I reviewed your post, and it's an interesting method. The main problem I'm trying to solve is having a few plants wicking up the runoff from all of them. Caused by wavy floor. Since I have a shop vac, I'm thinking the easiest thing would be to use dishes [right side up] and just to vacuum it up.

That way I can let the plants wick up the runoff when I want to let them, but they will only get their share. About every 3rd time I use plain water, and I prefer they wick up runoff. I do this because with organics there will be nutrients in the coco. This helps with any build up, stretches nutes, and re-hydrates any dry spots in the medium. Thanks...