What's new

When to prune SCROG undergrowth?

I'm 9 days into flowering with a SCROG in a C13. The screen is 90% filled and I have what I feel is enough budsites poking through the screen (There are 14 sites poking through). There is a TON of undergrowth at this point.

When should I trim the undergrowth?

Is there an FAQ/how-to guide on when and how to prune?

Here is what the grow currently looks like:

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
you really want to get that undergrowth pruned off by then end of the 2nd week of 12/12... so 14 days. You shouldn't be pruning after this point because the budsite are pretty much set. Also, moderately remove fan leaves that block the budsites. Optimally, you want to be removing these shoots and undergrowth from when you first cut over, on a gradual basis. It's better than doing it all at once as it limits shock. You can tell which ones wont make the canopy for the most part, so start with those and then keep following up until it is clean under there. this is VERY important if you want to have decent buds above the screen.

G

Looking really good Krusty!

Dubfiend gave me some good advice and Sugabear uses the same spacing. Prune your budsites to 8 buds per square foot. I overgrew my 2.5 sqft area and got 32 buds that were all undersized.

Give it a little haircut by starting at the bottom and picking out shoots that obviously won't make the screen. You want to keep the fan leaves intact on the top of the screen by tucking them under the growthshoots when possible. I use garbage bag ties to hold the shoots in place. Too much undergrowth blocks the airflow and can result in mold.

What you are shooting for is your buds growing on top of the screen with a layer of fan leaves held below the screen. As the buds develop and block the light, the fan leaves will be getting less light and will fall off on their own.

Once you get your premium budsides picked out, treat all the competing popcorn buds as suckers and prune them off. The suckers, just sap strength from the top buds.

I check the plant over every 3-4 days when I water it and give it a little trim. It takes 2 months to flower a plant so there's no rush to hack it up.

Last edited:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
very good red
i would like to add i cut all shoots not w/in 2 inch of screen 1st wk 12/12 i leave all fan leaves intact under the screen plant needs them and they fall off when they die naturally least mine did.

lookn nice crusty