What's new

What was Humbolt growing commercially in 1998?

I wood

Veteran
Looking for wild speculation or what ever info is to be had about comercial weed from emerald triangle area in 98.

That year an old hippy friend came back from vacation and surprised me with 5 packs of seeds from humbolt/ emerald triangle area.
All unlabelled and folded up in news paper envelopes like coke used to come.
Also a male female set of chocolate chunk cuttings. These i rooted and made seeds from but i did not like it and moved on.
I grew out two types and was somewhat impressed and thought one resembled white widow while growing but kept nothing due to plant numbers. 49 or less was the self imposed rule to limit liability.
I had recently been to Toronto for seeds and liked those much better. Thank you again to willy jack seeds. Still hold nebula x blueberry started in 1998. This plant helped me stop taking pain pills after an ankle rebuild. Trippy , euphoric and with a delicious astringent berryness to it.

So recently while rooting around in seed fridge to give some unwanted things away, the humbolt 5 packs were found. Thinking they must be dead, five seeds were put in water and to my amazement all sprouted. A bit deformed like old seeds sometimes start out but all growing through that now.
These seeds were stored in a cool dry basement safe for about 15 years in a mason jar then moved to a fridge about ten years ago.

So im guessing these seeds are worth exploring even though i have no idea what they are.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Looking for wild speculation or what ever info is to be had about comercial weed from emerald triangle area in 98.

That year an old hippy friend came back from vacation and surprised me with 5 packs of seeds from humbolt/ emerald triangle area.
All unlabelled and folded up in news paper envelopes like coke used to come.
Also a male female set of chocolate chunk cuttings. These i rooted and made seeds from but i did not like it and moved on.
I grew out two types and was somewhat impressed and thought one resembled white widow while growing but kept nothing due to plant numbers. 49 or less was the self imposed rule to limit liability.
I had recently been to Toronto for seeds and liked those much better. Thank you again to willy jack seeds. Still hold nebula x blueberry started in 1998. This plant helped me stop taking pain pills after an ankle rebuild. Trippy , euphoric and with a delicious astringent berryness to it.

So recently while rooting around in seed fridge to give some unwanted things away, the humbolt 5 packs were found. Thinking they must be dead, five seeds were put in water and to my amazement all sprouted. A bit deformed like old seeds sometimes start out but all growing through that now.
These seeds were stored in a cool dry basement safe for about 15 years in a mason jar then moved to a fridge about ten years ago.

So im guessing these seeds are worth exploring even though i have no idea what they are.
It would be fun to watch. Keep us posted friend.

JetLife175

Veteran
I am pretty certain NL was a major commercial crop up in humboldt late 90s. This was right before the OG kush craze that took Cali over and I for sure know we were getting a lot of NL in high school from up there.

JetLife175

Veteran
I'm pretty sure that I got Urkle on Phish tour in 98 and 99. I was told it was from Humboldt but that could have been a lie.
Urkle definitely has Northern California roots. That must have been right around the time it was bred. That's the earliest urkle experience I know of.

ReprobateMind

Urkle definitely has Northern California roots. That must have been right around the time it was bred. That's the earliest urkle experience I know of.
To be clear, I wasn't told that it was Urkle. Just that it was from Humboldt. I got some 'Urkle' in the early to mid 2000s and I was positive that it was the same 'Humboldt' that I got in 98 and 99. But maybe the 'Urkle' wasn't even Urkle. Who knows? I shouldn't have even posted in this thread, lol.

JetLife175

Veteran
To be clear, I wasn't told that it was Urkle. Just that it was from Humboldt. I got some 'Urkle' in the early to mid 2000s and I was positive that it was the same 'Humboldt' that I got in 98 and 99. But maybe the 'Urkle' wasn't even Urkle. Who knows? I shouldn't have even posted in this thread, lol.
Hahahahaha you're good brother. We're just riffing here. Not discrediting you.