What's new

What music are you listening to?

moose eater

Damn. Ive only seen him as a kid in Alice's Restaurant.wierd to see him older
We've seen him live a couple of times. Always an entertainer.

This tour (linked here) has his son, Abe, and the amazing Pete Seeger, on stage with him, in Denmark, and ends with Pete S. on banjo, Abe doing keyboards, and Arlo, all doing an Elvis classic, with the crowd joined in.

It's a truly warming classic.

Last edited:

moose eater

Posted in comments by a fan...

>>>""He was my girlfriend's neighbor at an apartment complex in Houston Texas in the early 80s. We were invited to his apartment, and I noticed him in all these pictures with the Stones, The Who, and a bunch of other bands. I said who are you again, and he said who he was when he introduced himself in the first place, I didn't really put it together until seeing the pictures on the wall.

We talked for quite some time; he was already in a wheelchair then. He said he had only 3 things of any real value, and the IRS wanted to take them from him. A Chet Atkins signature guitar, I believe there was a Silver Anniversary Strat, and possibly the only tortoise shell bass in the world. That may have been a gift. Not sure now, it was a long time ago.

He said the money raised for him to pay medical bills somehow got him in trouble with the IRS, could we please keep his guitars for a while.

He was with a very attractive brunette who's name I don't recall. I've been telling this story for many years. My girlfriend was from Middlesex, and that apartment complex was full of people from Europe.

I've been playing guitar for about 45 years, meeting him, hearing his story, and finding him to be such a great guy was such a wonderful experience. I was a kid from MN that played in a little band in high school. And I got to help out a real rock star that paved the way for a lot of other musicians. How freaking cool is that! That meeting tells me he must have been a trusting guy, we had never talked before that day. Also,he said an allergist gave him the most relief from MS, maybe that still holds true. Would be great to have someone who knew him verify what I've shared.

RIP""<<<

Last edited:

moose eater

From the 'Deadicated' Lp.

Los Lobos 'Bertha'

Music for cruising down the open rural highways on an Electraglide, in the wind... Been years now. I miss it. My spine probably wouldn't handle it very well anymore. Memories.

Last edited:

moose eater

Couldn't find the cut from the 'Deadicated' Lp, but this is likely the same cut from another disc.

More hitchhiking and traveling music about ethics, and lines between brothers and sisters. when enough is too much, and universal righteousness and related lines in the sand have been crossed... A person ought to have a code to live by...

Hornsby keeps a tempo in this version/'Deadicated' that is almost train-like... steady rolling. Awesome piano.

<sigh>

Last edited:

moose eater

Also from the 'Deadicated' Lp, though the disc cover isn't the correct one.

Lyle Lovett doing 'Friend of the Devil'.

Long ago and far away...

An old acquaintance and his former significant other, playing this on 2 acoustic guitars around a campfire next to the Susitna River in August(?), 1980 at the last gathering of the Talkeetna Bluegrass Festival that occurred IN downtown Talkeetna (a contradiction in terms back then, 'downtown' and 'Talkeetna'), before the gatherings were temporarily moved to The Bluffs for a number of years, a distance away from Talkeetna, but also next to the Susitna River. Doing high-grade complimentary cocaine that night, brought up by a friend's fishing skipper on his way back from California to Alaska.

Very nice memories.

Last edited: