What's new

What is this response?

Hey everyone , I’m an outdoor grower and am seeing this lack of chlorophyll in the vain of some of my plant leaves. Any thoughts on what it’s from?
I’m think it’s a deficiency of some secondary minerals?
I’m planting in the ground with healthy well amended soil. Thanks in advance
IMG_0845.jpeg

I have been giving them some cal mag but maybe I’ll up it . My soil had a lot of clay to it so I’ve been working it the other direction with gypsum and lime . Ph was at 5.6 last year when I had it sent out for testing and when I tested it myself this spring it was around 6.5 . But I’m not sure how much I trust my meter. I’ll try and bring up the ph more and see how they respond. Thanks for responses

jackspratt61

I have been giving them some cal mag but maybe I’ll up it . My soil had a lot of clay to it so I’ve been working it the other direction with gypsum and lime . Ph was at 5.6 last year when I had it sent out for testing and when I tested it myself this spring it was around 6.5 . But I’m not sure how much I trust my meter. I’ll try and bring up the ph more and see how they respond. Thanks for responses
What other levels did your test show?

Clay has lots of Mn usually. Which is the purpose of calmag, to regulate Mn toxicity in a crop that hyper accumulates it.

Sorry, but this isn't magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is mobile so a deficiency shows on the lower leaves first.
Also the curling edges look intriguing but I don't know what it means.

Which shows as heat and light sensitivity. The shade is keeping the bottom from looking worse.

research-2014-4.jpg

research-2014-3.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Since you have amended your soil and used any bicarbonates and you use tap water over time the hydroxyl in tap water can raise the pH and cause lime green color or yellowing veg tops. When the pH rises above 7.5 to 8 it will cause iron lock out.

That's what it looks like to me but the only way to know for sure is to take a soil sample and send it to the soil testing lab. You can have your soil tested for about $30.00 at local university.

I got a soil test from a lab last season I have to find it to recall what other readings I got. I was using tap water for the first 4-5 weeks as I started them indoors but where I transplanted them to I have clean spring water from a well that irrigates them.
I started them indoors under LED and then they had a shorter hardening off then I wanted before I got them into the ground so maybe they are sensitive to the intense daylight? I also get temperature swings of 30’F regularly but I’m not sure that would have an affect on leaves in that way. Some of my other strains look strong and healthy but this issue seems to be sporadic. I had it last year on some zweet insanity I grew and it totally stunted the plant..

I’ll get another sample out to a lab this week

bushed

Plants look really healthy to me, how long have you grown in organic and have you come over from hydro? I find that plants just naturally grow out of issues if they have their roots in the ground. Compared to hydro where once a problem started it would continue to get worse. You say the soil is amended? I wouldn't give your beautiful outdoor plants a single thing!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Awesome grow and garden.

1719912370193.png

The leaves seem to be 'praying for magnesium', and the combination of affected tips and edges also points in the direction of magnesium.

Now to the cause... a loupe would tell more, however the many black dots could be mites.

Clove (eugenol) seems to help deter mites. Just put a piece of clove at the bottom of the plant.

Many of the alkaloids produced by plants have a direct role in deterring fungi, insects or herbivores.

For scientific backing:

Eugenol demonstrates acaricidal properties results showed that clove oil eugenol was highly toxic against scabies mites.
Source

Awesome grow and garden.

View attachment 19026384
The leaves seem to be 'praying for magnesium', and the combination of affected tips and edges also points in the direction of magnesium.

Now to the cause... a loupe would tell more, however the many black dots could be mites.

Clove (eugenol) seems to help deter mites. Just put a piece of clove at the bottom of the plant.

Many of the alkaloids produced by plants have a direct role in deterring fungi, insects or herbivores.

For scientific backing:

Source
I am seeing some tiny black dots sporadically however I do have leafhoppers in the garden so I do t know if that would just be their waste on the leaves? I’ve been spraying neem oil once a week at a rate of 3 tbs to about 1.5 gallons of water. Going to try some epsom salt as someone suggested to help with Mag

Plants look really healthy to me, how long have you grown in organic and have you come over from hydro? I find that plants just naturally grow out of issues if they have their roots in the ground. Compared to hydro where once a problem started it would continue to get worse. You say the soil is amended? I wouldn't give your beautiful outdoor plants a single thing!
I appreciate it! I never grew hydro just outdoors. Really just my second season with an honest go at it before that It was just vegetable gardens and occasional a clone someone would give me that I would just stick in the ground. I just made this garden about 2 years ago . It was thick spagnum moss ground cover and pretty compact soil underneath. So I’ve dug out hole by hole and added local leaf mold soil and moo doo , some IMO collections, and a few other small things. It’s at a point now where it’s healthy and rich so nothing serious should be needed

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I got a soil test from a lab last season I have to find it to recall what other readings I got. I was using tap water for the first 4-5 weeks as I started them indoors but where I transplanted them to I have clean spring water from a well that irrigates them.
I started them indoors under LED and then they had a shorter hardening off then I wanted before I got them into the ground so maybe they are sensitive to the intense daylight? I also get temperature swings of 30’F regularly but I’m not sure that would have an affect on leaves in that way. Some of my other strains look strong and healthy but this issue seems to be sporadic. I had it last year on some zweet insanity I grew and it totally stunted the plant..

I’ll get another sample out to a lab this week
I mulch with hay to keep moisture and temperature swings to a minimum. You are doing a good job friend. Thanks for the posts.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I am seeing some tiny black dots sporadically however I do have leafhoppers in the garden so I do t know if that would just be their waste on the leaves? I’ve been spraying neem oil once a week at a rate of 3 tbs to about 1.5 gallons of water. Going to try some epsom salt as someone suggested to help with Mag
- I'm not seeing any leafhopper damage at all.

- Just put a piece of clove near the base of the plant.

The terpenes of the clove will be taken up by the plant very quickly.

In fact you can check by rubbing the plant a day or two later between thumb and index finger, and the clove will have influenced the smell of the plant.

That happens through the air - no need to spray anything on the plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts