What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What is this response?

right on thanks for the response, i took multiple pH readings this past weekend and consistently was getting a 6.8-7 reading... slightly high for what ive read is an optimal pH but shouldn't be enough to throw off the plant i wouldn't think? i used both a digital and analog meter to compare. im starting to wonder if its roots are constricted from dense soil... I've added some cal mag and sprayed some epsom salts with small positive changes.. maybe i need to just increase my dosage..

xtsho

I got a soil test from a lab last season I have to find it to recall what other readings I got. I was using tap water for the first 4-5 weeks as I started them indoors but where I transplanted them to I have clean spring water from a well that irrigates them.

Do you know what's in that well water? Depending on the aquifer it comes from it could be extremely hard.

Im up in a very rural area and am just using spring fed well water from the land. Its not treated in any way. When i mixed my soil to test i used that same water. I havent pH the water on its own. i have a number of plants and this reaction is localized to only a 2 or 3 of them which is further throwing me off... I've kept a very consistant regime of soil and amendments between all of them

xtsho

Im up in a very rural area and am just using spring fed well water from the land. Its not treated in any way. When i mixed my soil to test i used that same water. I havent pH the water on its own. i have a number of plants and this reaction is localized to only a 2 or 3 of them which is further throwing me off... I've kept a very consistant regime of soil and amendments between all of them

The water likely contains a significant amount of calcium and magnesium already. You said the soil was clay. Clay can contain a lot of calcium. You also added limestone and gypsum which is even more calcium. Then you're giving calmag. Too much calcium can cause nutrient deficiencies.

And not all plants react the same way which is why it may only be happening with some and not others.

thats a great point thank you. i didn't realize to much Ca can cause deficiencies. Would that mean its causing a nutrient lock out then? next step would be to get out another soil test to a lab...

xtsho

thats a great point thank you. i didn't realize to much Ca can cause deficiencies. Would that mean its causing a nutrient lock out then? next step would be to get out another soil test to a lab...

I'm just bringing up possible causes. I know most always say to add something but often the cause is due to too much of something.

Hopefully you'll get things figured out.