What's new

What happens if you move a finished plant to dry while leaving it in it's original media & pot?

ice minus

Hi all, just a curious newbie question as I stare at a plant I just pulled into my drying area on day 64 or so

What would happen if I DID NOT do my usual routine of cutting (usually with a hell of a lot of effort!) it at the base of the main stem, and hanging it as a whole plant upside down - but rather left it right as is, standing upright in it's original pot and soil, and simply left it there to dry for the next couple weeks as I usually do (I do 14 days @ 60% RH before trimming)

Will it somehow undergo some kind of immense stress stage or something before the pot is adequately dried out? Or can no major harm happen without lights on, and that’s not of a concern?

Just to clarify - basically what happens if you simply remove your pot into a dark room and let it dry out standing completely upright as it is?

These are the random things I think about when I’m high

Last edited:

PadawanWarrior

I've thought about trying it too just out of curiosity. I'll be following.

I saw one thing about uneven drying but who knows. I'm curious now.

A plant left to dry on the stalk in the ground will dry at different rates across the plant. And cannabis is best only at a very particular point in the drying process. Like any plant that is dried you don't want spots that are over dry or under dry and that's what you get if you leave it standing upright in the field.

ice minus

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

A plant left to dry on the stalk in the ground will dry at different rates across the plant. And cannabis is best only at a very particular point in the drying process. Like any plant that is dried you don't want spots that are over dry or under dry and that's what you get if you leave it standing upright in the field.

Fascinating, well, I guess that's all I needed to hear really!
I'm off to grab my shears.. Some days I wish I had a small saw or something, it's really hard to cut through that main stem holy!

Thanks as always, PadawanWarrior

PadawanWarrior

Fascinating, well, I guess that's all I needed to hear really!
I'm off to grab my shears.. Some days I wish I had a small saw or something, it's really hard to cut through that main stem holy!

Thanks as always, PadawanWarrior
I think you might have mold issues easier too but that's just a guess. Oh, and having trouble cutting through the stem is a good problem to have. 🌲

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Takes a lot longer to dry is about it plus the added risk of it being in dirt.
If you girdle outdoor plants and let them dry out they turn yellow\gold like the old days.