What's new

What grows best outdoors in SW WA?

Shooters

What have you all found is the best strains for outdoors in SW WA?

I have found that on most strains I've grown that mold is a real issue and causes harvesting before the trichs are fully ripe. I've even tried a greenhouse to keep things dry but even there it is a problem.

So what strains do you find most mold resistant here and which will finish before the monsoons arrive?

therevverend

Veteran
SW Washington is tough it's so damp all the time. Looking at your album you grow a lot of late sativas. Those will get you into trouble. Bangi Haze is the only one I can think of that finishes by early October. I got some stem rot but no bud rot it's got decent resistance.
Everything else is hit and miss. Luck more than anything else. I'd avoid strains with tight big bud structure you want northern California and Oregon outdoor type plants.
Blue Dream and the Diesel strains come to mind. But they're early October also, ideally you want middle or late September. Look for strains that finish indoors in less than 60 days of flowering, 50 days would be better.

Shooters

Ok I've selected some strains to try along with the many crosses I made last summer.

Matanuska Thunderfuck (aka Alaskan Thunder)
picture.php

Strawberry Cough
picture.php

Purple Power
picture.php

I know, some more sativa dominant but better than the equatorial sats I've had up till now.

The most promising is my cross between Cream Auto (rudi based) and Zamaldelica (thai dominant pheno) I have popped two seeds and so far they have retained the short stature of the rudi genentics and I'm still waiting to see if the autoflowering has held as well.

I'm partial to sativas because my meds need to be uplifting to combat my CFS (natural couchlock) so I'm hoping to get a good genetic mix that is early or auto flowering and has a good resistance to mold and pests.

But I'm not throwing in the towel on my sativas!! I'm still gonna get some Bangi Haze too...

:dance013:

therevverend

Veteran
Strawberry Cough is a good pick. Gets huge outdoors but finishes by Oct 1st. Good resistance to mold and pests. I'm skeptical of the Dutch purple strains. They finish but don't pack the punch of the Cali strains.
I've done well the last couple years with Ganja Rebel's 5 G's strains. Don't know if he'll ever do a seed drop again, glad I made my own seeds of his strains.
I try to grow as many different strains as I can. If I do 15 plants I'll have ten different strains. Most are bound to finish, I'd hate to grow all one strain and have it finish late.

Shooters

Yeah I here ya on the variety, that is what prompted me to start looking for new strains as I was runnning bagseed up till last July. The lionheart bagseed has been my main producer and a good day time smoker, but after medicating with ne strain for so long it is time for some new genetics.

Last summer I had seven plants with 6 different strains and only one finished. This year I'll step up may game to the full 15, by starting early inside and then moving outside...

Thanks for the tips and replies!!

therevverend

Veteran
Just picked up some Mextiza seeds. From cannabiogen it's Nep JamXOaxacan. It is suppose to be done early October. The structure looks good for a sativa.
I've found that most strains that finish under 60 days usually finish outside in western Washington. However a lot of seedbank strains lack vigor outside for some reason. They also tend to throw nanners the last two weeks. I believe it's because they've been selected for indoor conditions for too long.
The northern Cali strains I prefer have the vigor to outgrow the pests and mold. And I've noticed they don't like to throw nanners. I'd be looking for seeds from Humboldt or Mendocino.
I've found a seed bank in Oregon that specializes in PNW outdoor strains. It's called Oregon Green Seed. A few of their strains are crosses with genetics from esbe, Hybrids from Hell in Denmark. And they have a lot of local stuff from Oregon. They finish from mid August to early October. They say they've been growing these strains for a while with good results. Curious to try them out to see if they're for real.

jilly202

so you want something that finishes end of sept like a purple earkle crossed with the mr.nice guy or like what im runing pineapple kush trajick ice either way go indica light dep or go home

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
KC33 holds up well to humidity and can yield big, but only 1 of 3 main phenos, the sativa, does that, the other is more indica, then there are a couple that usually seem 'bunk', maybe heavier cbd, or just weak.
rough go if you have limited numbers

vostok

Veteran
Look to making your own mold proof localized plants perhaps with a strong indica side to them, or just avoid the mold, and germ and harvest earlier

BigNoise

Look at the above mentioned Hybrids from Hell, and KC Brains (the above mentioned KC 33). I'm not too far south of you, and I'm running all KC and HFH this year...sounds like most of what I have should finish by mid September.

Latest posts

Latest posts