What's new

What are the Best Large Capacity USB drives ?

St. Phatty

I've been having troubles with my USB bus.

Drives not appearing unless I disconnect a USB mouse, stuff like that.

It seems to be helped by using a USB drive with 128 GB capacity.

Thought it was a temporary work-around, but if this is the universe telling me to use USB thumb drives for external storage, well OK.

So when you look at Newegg, it's obvious that they are stacking the reviews on a lot of the Chinese drives. Like with the Gosgoly drives, maybe.

So who does make a good large capacity 256 GB and up, USB thumb drive ?

What's the difference between the $78 TCell and the $26 Gosgoly 512 GB drives ?

The Gosgoly is literally 1/3 the price of the TCell.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
DON'T buy a 16TB SSD drive as they are really an SD card reader with a 64GB SD card in it spoofed to report as 16TB, they sell for AU$40-50.

I have a Sandisk 256GB USB3 drive that works really well and is fast, cost me about AU$160 a couple of years ago.

Stonerbudz

I've been having troubles with my USB bus.

Drives not appearing unless I disconnect a USB mouse, stuff like that.

It seems to be helped by using a USB drive with 128 GB capacity.

Thought it was a temporary work-around, but if this is the universe telling me to use USB thumb drives for external storage, well OK.

So when you look at Newegg, it's obvious that they are stacking the reviews on a lot of the Chinese drives. Like with the Gosgoly drives, maybe.

So who does make a good large capacity 256 GB and up, USB thumb drive ?

What's the difference between the $78 TCell and the $26 Gosgoly 512 GB drives ?

The Gosgoly is literally 1/3 the price of the TCell.

512 gb for usb driver is biggest but for a external driver it can get bigger

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have had two dells, and each has the weakest of USB capability. The standard they work to dictates they should supply a lot more power than they will. I have seen no setting to fix this, and after 16 hours on hold (a world record no less) they cut me off.
The answer for me was a powered hub. Oddly a dell one which is in my monitor. Without which, I couldn't use my external wireless adapter. It would keep resetting the power I believe. Putting up flags and making a bonging noise, only without the bubbles. Dell USB has proved so weak it's beyond belief. I suggest your one working drive simply draws less power, from what you describe.

Most of the proper cheap Chinese stuff lies about size. You don't know until they start loosing data to overwrites and such. You think you saved your stuff, but actually it's ruined. This might sound like the usual China is rubbish stories, but in this instance it's 100% accurate. Most of the cheap sticks are fake.

Real sticks don't cost a massive amount. Look at size and speed to rate them. Though I think your problem lays elsewhere

St. Phatty

Real sticks don't cost a massive amount. Look at size and speed to rate them. Though I think your problem lays elsewhere

10 year old workstation, maybe 5 and 7 year old USB cables.

Was going to replace the cables and install a PCI-Express card that has
4 USB ports. I hope.

Might be better off using the old-fashioned keyboard and mouse,
so they don't compete with the external hard drives for the USB bus.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Most PCs of that time offer usb2 which is 1 amp, or 1.5 amp at a push. There could be additional usb3 ports that may offer a little over 2 amps. This should be per socket but often it's shared and soon exhausted.
I reckon the card slot idea should be good. That or powered external. Be a lot nicer onboard, but so cheap and easy externally. Though if you don't have any usb3 ports, the external hub will just see a usb2.0 socket as a bottleneck you may notice.

I have had adapters between them old round mouse/keyboard plugs and usb styles. I don't recall which way round they were. Is it just serial anyway? I'm not up on computers. Just my failings to work them :)

St. Phatty

Ended up getting the 256 GB Sandisk.

Thinking about getting the 512 GB Sandisk -

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I've used a few different name brand USB thumb drives but my best experiences have been using Sandisk drives. I'm sure there are other places around where you can get them but I've always found them at a very competitive price at Sam's Club which I am a member of As for any thumb drive coming out of China (unless it's a name brand from the manufacturer) I would say avoid them. A large percentage of them are drives spoof to read as larger then they are. They'll work okay up to the point the drive is actually rated for but once you get above that and start writing to the spoofed size the files will appear to write okay but when you try to access them they'll be corrupted. As an example of what I'm talking about there were lots of USB drives coming out of China a few years ago claiming to be 3TB for just $10 but they would actually be 32 or 64GB drives spoofed to read as 3 TB. 3TB at just $10 is an incredible deal and is so too good to be true that it should immediately raise red warning flags. A reliable 3TB thumb drive could sell at $100 easily and still be an incredible bargain. The problem with China is they don't have much in the way of buyer protection laws, the government there looks at shady business practices like something not being what it's reported to be as good business if you can fool the customer into buying it. Definitely it's always Caveat emptor, "let the buyer beware" when dealing with Chinese companies.