What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Weird chlorophyll terps

EastCoastGambit

I have this one plant I grew, 1 out of 5, and its a cross I made. Its smells weird I guess, not easy to describe. Its not cut, its still alive. I think the terps just didn't develop correctly vs the others in the tent. It just smell "green" like chlorophyll or something.

Just wondering if there was something environmentally that could have caused this? If anyone else has had a similar thing? Or if its just genetics.

I didn't notice it earlier its almost like the plant changed as it aged. They are ready for harvest now.

Not really a big deal, things happen, just seeing what it could be. Its hard to describe, not a floral smell, not quite fresh cut grass but something along those lines. Like just smells like kind of bland and like plant matter vs floral or any other notable terps.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have this one plant I grew, 1 out of 5, and its a cross I made. Its smells weird I guess, not easy to describe. Its not cut, its still alive. I think the terps just didn't develop correctly vs the others in the tent. It just smell "green" like chlorophyll or something.

Just wondering if there was something environmentally that could have caused this? If anyone else has had a similar thing? Or if its just genetics.

I didn't notice it earlier its almost like the plant changed as it aged. They are ready for harvest now.

Not really a big deal, things happen, just seeing what it could be. Its hard to describe, not a floral smell, not quite fresh cut grass but something along those lines. Like just smells like kind of bland and like plant matter vs floral or any other notable terps.
A transpiration issue in the leaf tissue or a recessive trait could cause it.

ZomVee

Dude, I was going through the same thing this year.

My biggest plant, and no terps whatsoever, when I pinched a bud, all I smelled was chlorophyll. Luckily that has all changed since the buds have been ripening more. Now, it's like garlic and cheese.

Did the terps mature for ya or did it finish with the
chlorophyll smell?

EastCoastGambit

Dude, I was going through the same thing this year.

My biggest plant, and no terps whatsoever, when I pinched a bud, all I smelled was chlorophyll. Luckily that has all changed since the buds have been ripening more. Now, it's like garlic and cheese.

chlorophyll smell?
It stayed the same, hoping they develop a little something in the jar. Bud looks good and the high is fine so at least there is that.

PlastikeRubba

Chlorophyll smells minty. There are lots of different mint terps in Cannabis.

Some brand of bloom nutes at full strength will ruin bud and make it smell like toothpaste.

chlorophyll smell?

If you can smell chlorophyll in a plant, either you have a super power or a very rare plant worth billions. Potheads out here defying science.

Do you mean a grass/hay smell? Hexanoic acid, the precursor to most Cannabinoids and many Cannabis aromas, is also the precursor to hexanol, hexenol, hexanal: Green Leaf Volatiles.

Potheads have been wrong about what they are sensing for a long time. Not sure where this crafted agenda comes from, that steers around [medicinal] carboxylic acids in Cannabis. Hmmm...

I've been waiting 50 years to hear another grower even say the word acid without trying to sell me a sheet.

EastCoastGambit

I've never smelled chlorophyll so I wouldn't know that it is minty. I guess what I meant was it smelled green, like plant material. Not quite grass/hay as with a bad cure of bud but something akin to that.

ZomVee

Chlorophyll smells minty. There are lots of different mint terps in Cannabis.

Some brand of bloom nutes at full strength will ruin bud and make it smell like toothpaste.

If you can smell chlorophyll in a plant, either you have a super power or a very rare plant worth billions. Potheads out here defying science.

Do you mean a grass/hay smell? Hexanoic acid, the precursor to most Cannabinoids and many Cannabis aromas, is also the precursor to hexanol, hexenol, hexanal: Green Leaf Volatiles.

Potheads have been wrong about what they are sensing for a long time. Not sure where this crafted agenda comes from, that steers around [medicinal] carboxylic acids in Cannabis. Hmmm...

I've been waiting 50 years to hear another grower even say the word acid without trying to sell me a sheet.
All I was saying that it smelled like green plant material. The resin heads weren't producing any smells, thankfully that has changed.

cbotany

Veteran
"White" strains not white widow, but The "white" has this trait, its a very cool trait, but most cannabinoid production is also directly linked to terpene production. The white seems to bypass this in some way or form, its not unrealistic to have a very low terpene producing plant. I've had the hay smell come out quite a bit very early in my breeding career. The strains with it seem to have very sativa effects, and a longer flowering time.

Latest posts

Latest posts