What's new

Weed Beer

1G12

Feds don't approve of Weed beer
Brewer's bottle caps can't play on town's name
By JULIET WILLIAMS
ASSOCIATED PRESS

SACRAMENTO -- Vaune Dillmann thought the wording on his bottle caps was just a clever play on the name of the Northern California town where he brews his beer -- Weed.

Federal alcohol regulators thought differently. They have ordered Dillmann to stop selling beer bottles with caps that read "Try Legal Weed."

The dispute started in February when Dillmann sent the proposed label for his latest beer, Lemurian Lager, to the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau for approval. The agency, which regulates the industry, asked for some changes to the label, along with a sample bottle cap.

Dillmann obliged, sending the caps he has been using for his five current beers.

The agency responded that the message on the caps amounted to a drug reference. In a letter explaining its decision, the agency said the wording could "mislead consumers about the characteristics of the alcoholic beverage."

Dillmann scoffs at the notion that his label has anything to do with smoking pot.

"I've never tried marijuana in my life," he said on Wednesday. "I don't advocate that. It's just our town's name."

The town of 3,000, sitting beneath Mount Shasta about 230 miles north of the state capital, takes its name from Abner Weed, a timber baron who opened a lumber mill there in 1901 and eventually was elected to the state Senate.

Dillmann, 61, started the Mount Shasta Brewing Co. in 2004. He said he has always used the town's name on his beers and named the company's first official brew Abner Weed's Pale Ale.

His bottle labels follow a long tradition of exploiting the town's name. Even city officials do it.

A sign posted on the way out of town reads, "Temporarily Out of Weed," while another says "100 Percent Pure Weed." Dillmann noted those examples in an appeal letter he sent to the alcohol bureau, a division of the U.S. Treasury Department.

Once, Dillmann said, his wife, a former teacher, was delayed on a field trip to San Francisco as tourists clamored to pose next to the school bus, which said "Weed High."

But illegal drugs are no joke to the federal agency, which maintains meticulous rules about labeling.

Drug references on alcoholic beverages were banned in 1994, agency spokesman Art Resnick said.

"We protect consumers of alcohol beverages against misleading advertising and labeling. That's one of our primary functions. That's what we do, as well as collect taxes," he said.

He said the agency is reviewing Dillmann's appeal.

Meanwhile, Dillmann has placed a rush order on unmarked bottle caps so he can keep bottling while he awaits word from the federal agency on his appeal.

1G12

If you ever spot any of this, buy it and never open it....sure to be a collector's item. Wish I still had some Billy Beer!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

raygun

Damn the man....
They should change it to Made with love from Weed and then put CA in micro print....

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SG....not for me :D
I have drivin by that sign many times...is it still there?? ....thought they might have taken it down, I'll have to go look for it.

O

otherwhitemeat

Hey, I've been there! I think they changed the signs to keep people from stealing them, my pic was taken around 2003/4 when I hiked Mt Shasta and YES, they are bolted on VERY WELL!

Incidentally, if anyone has recipes for using weed in place of hops in beer for homebrewing, I 'm all ears. Apparently 'weed+beer' does something totally different in this search engine. haha

Latest posts

Latest posts