What's new

vertical growing?

G

anyone out there doing a vertical grow,
basicaly i put together a mini vertical grow system against the side wall of my grow room to use up space & personal interest.....i used the smallest net pots available, tied them to a fridge rack and secured the lot to the wall, with a drip line plumbed in from a hydro tank.......
it works well, very well & im just wondering if anyone out there is doing a similar project,
next time round i wana use the meter slabs of coco,rockwool whatever and was wondering about how many plants i could efficently squeeze in to one, what is the best size to trigger flowering at and any tricks tips or tried & tested knowhow would be of great intrest to me, even failed attempts provide info on what not to do,

so to sumerise, meter slabs of growing media, uprite, attached to a wall, feed line at the top, drain hole at the bottom (back into hydro tank) and see what happens,

any info good or bad pleeeeze

G

sweet, i take it all that equipment is available in the hardwear store,, general plumbing supplies, yeah?
not wanting to make this my primary grow, just hate seeing light being wasted, something along those lines is exactly what id like to achive, only open plan,
nice rig there mate, could i trouble you for over head shots & a few more angles pleeeeze,

just outa curiosity, what ya got in there for grow medium, usual hydro watering schedule? what kinda yeild you pulling outa that

betterboy

I've made 2 grows with this, and each time making improvments, and have 2 more changes on the next grow,
Im gonna change the feed from sch 40- 3/4" pipe to 1/2" rolled tubing. Also gonna build 2 more units to fit my grow room area. This unit holds 96 plants but if ya have the head room it could easly add 2 more sections, and go from a 6 octagon to a 8 octagon.
I use 3 part GH nutes with ro water and the plants set in 3" net pots, the first 2 runs I just set the plants in the net pots with no other medium other than a 1" rw cube and neopreen tops to hold the plants but since I kicked up the preasure to 80 PSI I put in hydroton rock to keep the roots from damage.
Like any other system newly built, its takes tweaking of the system to squeeze the best possible out of it, both of the first 2 runs gave me 3.75 LBS of very dry bud, Im sure i can get 5 LBS when I get everything worked out and with low maintance. I have more pics in my gallery , I'll have to look to see if i have a top shot of the unit, right now all ya could see if i took a pic now is a shit load of green plants because im bout 3 weeks from my cut date. The watering schedual is 1 min. on and 5 min. off, I built a cycle stat for this.
All material is available at home building centers,This unit took 7 pieces of 4" S&D pipe and each pipe was $3.99 each and fittings, 45 degree costs $1.69 each. The misters and 1/8" tubing was ordered from a garden supply

G

betterboy said:
I've made 2 grows with this, and each time making improvments, and have 2 more changes on the next grow,
Im gonna change the feed from sch 40- 3/4" pipe to 1/2" rolled tubing. Also gonna build 2 more units to fit my grow room area. This unit holds 96 plants but if ya have the head room it could easly add 2 more sections, and go from a 6 octagon to a 8 octagon.
I use 3 part GH nutes with ro water and the plants set in 3" net pots, the first 2 runs I just set the plants in the net pots with no other medium other than a 1" rw cube and neopreen tops to hold the plants but since I kicked up the preasure to 80 PSI I put in hydroton rock to keep the roots from damage.
Like any other system newly built, its takes tweaking of the system to squeeze the best possible out of it, both of the first 2 runs gave me 3.75 LBS of very dry bud, Im sure i can get 5 LBS when I get everything worked out and with low maintance. I have more pics in my gallery , I'll have to look to see if i have a top shot of the unit, right now all ya could see if i took a pic now is a shit load of green plants because im bout 3 weeks from my cut date. The watering schedual is 1 min. on and 5 min. off, I built a cycle stat for this.
All material is available at home building centers,This unit took 7 pieces of 4" S&D pipe and each pipe was $3.99 each and fittings, 45 degree costs $1.69 each. The misters and 1/8" tubing was ordered from a garden supply

Very nice system. I like it alot and think i might go your route, since both my brand new Mini Coli system unit where stolen. Not going to drop another 3,000 on gear when i can make something like this alot cheaper. Can i ask what light wattage you are using for this yield? Nice to see others asking about verticle growing. There are a few of us around here. Very nice thread.
Take care all,
BG

ayhev-jezvarted Good luck with your system and please share your thread with us. Looking forward to what every idea you come up with.
Later

betterboy

The first 2 grows were done with 2- 1000 HPS, the present grow Im using 3- 600 HPS with dig. ballasts. I've been using the dig 600 watters on my F&D tables and the plants do much better,I,ve got cool tubes but was to lazy to hook them up but will soon be using them when I build a couple of 36" wide systems. I went up and picked up the 4" S&D pipe and that shit went up to $5.99 per 10' length, but to build a unit of 6 oct. high it ownly takes 7 pcs.

G

sweet, plenty of idea fodder to play with, i had a look through your gallery betterboy & you've inspired me, gonna get nice & ripped then pop down the local hardwear store to view their selection of tubing & fittings (get great ideas when ripped)

GoldDustWoman, thanks, i have a few ideas but every time i mentaly draught a system, halfway through i get a new idea for the same thing, based on what ive seen here id think betterboy has it down & may ask him for info as i need it (if okay:)

once again thank you & il update this thread until i have a system of my own to show off,

G

ayhev-jezvarted said:
sweet, plenty of idea fodder to play with, i had a look through your gallery betterboy & you've inspired me, gonna get nice & ripped then pop down the local hardwear store to view their selection of tubing & fittings (get great ideas when ripped)

GoldDustWoman, thanks, i have a few ideas but every time i mentaly draught a system, halfway through i get a new idea for the same thing, based on what ive seen here id think betterboy has it down & may ask him for info as i need it (if okay:)

once again thank you & il update this thread until i have a system of my own to show off,

I'm the same way with idea's. I'll be watching your thread and wish you the best of luck. When i do get around to building my system. I'll be sure to link you. I'm really thinking about a top feed system. Good luck with your system and take care,
BG

Reorx

I remeber seeing on OG a guy who did a stadium grow. he used 4 400wt lights in a straight line (floor up) in a self made cooler tube. He used straight PVC pipes with hole cut in them standing up surrounding the light (I think he used a system that top feed the nutes). The guy used 150 clones and got something lilke 2000+ grams. That was fuckin cool looking, probably cost a arm n leg to build. I also like betterboy's setup I have always wanted to try something out like that.

Fucking sweet system, betterboy. Love the harvest photos, nice yields! Don't suppose you're planning on building a schematic for that badboy? :D

G

my brain is running overtime with possible plans, :woohoo:

this is what sparked my interest in vert growing, ive 1000w on a light rail coasting up & down a room 1200mm (47" ish) X 2650mm (104" ish) but only 3/4 of that space is used for growing, (running gear,fans,dehumidifiers etc etc)
ive 20 pots in hydro taking up the bulk of the space and usualy squeeze in about 4 or 5 big soil pots as i just cant sit idley by & watch good lumenums go to waste, but, having to shift these big fuckers around to change res nutes and generaly maintain the room is becoming a pain in the arse.
once i had my room filled to satisfaction with plants, i couldnt help notice huge areas of wall space getting light no matter where the light was,
so what do we do? we fill the walls is what we do, and here we are.

these are left over clones stuffed into net pots, (8 days vegging) lashed to a fridge shelf and hung on the wall, taking a drip line from my main res & guttering it back into circulation via plastic sheeting as make do guttering (looks crap but quite effective for odd shaped drain patterns)

this is it after a while,

yes i know it aint no great shake but i have learnt that it will work on the light provided in passing by the light rail & it is worth while persuing it.

what im looking at, avalible space wise is 2 areas of 5ft high by 3" wide potential vertical growing area on the walls & a little floor space which i plan to utilise with a DWC (bye bye soil :wave: )
im about 2 - 3 wks from harvest so ive plenty of time to ponder & build a system, then show it off & take what ever improvment advice comes my way.

already thinking of adding high output flouros to assist vert grow & let the big light do its own thing, hhhhhhmmmmm this could be the start of something beautiful me thinks :chin:

G

ayhev-jezvarted, how 'bout stacking some PVC "Wye"s for a quick fix, to protect those roots from all that light?

wye.jpg

G

just been down the hardwear store checking out materials, got some pipes n shit to play with, gives me a bit of a creative charge & ive whipped up a prototype, probly not the final design but a step in the right direction, il post pics 2moro

G

well, as promised here is the 1st prototype, i know its a bit rough and needs fine tuned, but i may well use this as a starting block for vert growing,
ive decided on a step formation as its been good for century's of civilisations for growing, these are all push fit connections and easily come appart for modification if nessary,
ive stuffed little net pots down the left hand side to indicate plants location (well duh!!!) & will probably use funnels of some sort for extra support, or just stuff the whole rooted clone,rock wool & all down the spouts

2ft X 1.5ft, houses 12 plants, if i make another 2 just like this i can pull my hydro tanks forward & utilise my entire back wall with 36 single cola plants, so far so good,

this is why id like to improve, there are five single cola plants dangling from this & if i had 31 more id be fucking delighted to be honest (on top of main grow)

im gonna piss about the rest of the afternoon plumbing it in & drilling drain holes etc,

again, all criticism welcome, share your own systems here & feel free to point out pro's & con's

ps. $30-ish spent so far on bits

G

HELL YES, This is what i'm talking about. Man, that's a nice system your building there. Can't wait to see more and get that sucker up and running. Thanks for sharing your project with us. I know there are others that are really going to like this setup. Have a nice weekend and take care.
BG

Last edited:

betterboy

1 question! wheres the res water gonna drain? Are you gonna build more to make a circle? the idea of vertical growing is so you can use 360 degrees of your light.just curious, always like to see inovation working

somoz

Veteran
kinda agreeing with better boy.....looks as though, your tryin to take up wall space.....this was my idea for that.......use the vertical lighting for the wall as well.....not 360 but a way to maximize the lighting around.......empty space is no good space.....haha........good luck with it.....your gonna need a manifold down to a rez or something though..........there's no supply line from what your pics show.......they always need water......nice start though....keep evolving dood............moz

G

GoldDustWoman: you made my day mate, thank you :woohoo: (have a nice wkend yourself & your comments are always welcome :smoke:

ayhev-jezvarted said:
not wanting to make this my primary grow, just hate seeing light being wasted, something along those lines is exactly what id like to achive, only open plan,
once i had my room filled to satisfaction with plants, i couldnt help notice huge areas of wall space getting light no matter where the light was,
so what do we do? we fill the walls is what we do, and here we are.

betterboy: the unit will have drain holes at the bottom & it will be recirculated back into the main res via simple guttering, or adding another T-peice at the bottom and running a drain pipe from it (well thats the plan but im open to suggestions)
i plan to make another 2 of these so as i can use up wall space and maximise my growing area (using the back end of a rectangular shaped room, or an open plan 270deg vert grow), once i harvest the crop i have now il take more pictures of the growroom and give you guys a better idea of what im trying to achive, if this works as well is id like it to il then il be evicting all my floor hydro gear and will bung a few enclosed 360 deg units, but for now this is all about utilising wall space & stray light,
emm, lets see here, (quick flick thru the gallery for pics without plants taking over)
this is the back end of my growroom before the jungle takes over, i plan to pull these systems forward & use the 3 walls at the back for this project

theres an secret door for access back there in case your wondering how im gona get at them for maintanence

somoz: yes mate, wall space is being criminaly wasted & this project will (fingers crossed) sort that issue out,
the actual plumbing of the unit is sorted-ish, il be using a separate res tank & pumps for this and basicaly its just a matter of clipping it on when required

any ideas or comments are welcome & thanks betterboy & somoz, as i will be asking advice and/or opinions right the way through (if you dont mind of course :respect: )
up to now my hydro has been getting fed for 15mins every hour while the light is on & once during the dark phase, the mini vert i have is plumbed into the same cycle and works ok, was planning to use this schedual for the vert grow until betterboy mentioned 1min on 5 min off, BUT if this is a more efficent way id be willing to try it as results speak volumes and it must be well loud at your place by the looks of things,

keep the comments coming peeps, all welcome :friends:

Latest posts

Latest posts