What's new

vertical areo

betterboy

dont konw how ya would hook chiller and sprayers all on same pump, the chiller pump has to run 24/7 its a cheap 170 gph pump , like 20.00.
The neopren inserts were bought locally hydro shop, when ordered they were supposed to be50 cents ea. but when i went to get them they charged.75. if i need any more though ill using pool noodles.
Are ya sure your looking at 4" S&D pipe? thats what lowes and menards both charge, this is a light weight pipe, sch 20 pipe, The SCH 40 runs $18.99 per length

somoz

Veteran
thanks for the answers man...yeah my local shop charges 75 for each one as well....found a hundred for 50 bucks though on ebay....got four of them....hehe....anywho after taking my head out of my ass and not smokin before i post i realize what ur sayin about the chiller...i was makin this more complicated for myself then need be....also popped over to menards again and saw what u were talkin about...i have been frequenting the HD of late and they don't cary this S*D pipe but menards does....nice!! returned the ones from the HD and picked up this S*D ones.....saved a penny or two.....thanks again for the help betterboy........be welll....somoz

betterboy

yea, that S&D works fine, I used FUSION paint for light block, painted black then give a coat of white on top.
Well got the total weight, I let it dry a bit to long , stuff is cruncy,Shit! ended up with ownly 55 oz's Big Disappointment but i know Ill get the weight fixed on the next run.

senseless

that sounds like damn good harvest to me bro. hows the smoke? do you plan to use the same strain next time around?

i get what you mean by the bladder tank.

somoz

Veteran
right on betterboy! beat your estimation though....you were thinkin around the 3lbs mark and you got 3.5.....not bad at all for the maiden voyage as gronut said....well done bro....and thanks for the fusion heads up...i've used the stuff before...works great but have to order it online cause i live in a city...so no spray paint available at the stores.... :pointlaug ...take it easy man....somoz

KingRalph

hey betterboy, shadowgrower here if ya can remember, that non-priming high pressure pump hehe ya made nice aerocloners from that... an oh man have i been waitin forever ta get a peek at that 360 degree setup fully functional... fantastic work man! well worth it all huh... just wow... a big congrats on your first successful completion with that finely tuned buddin machine :) keep it up man, n enjoy

betterboy

Thanks Guys, The trikes are thick, under the scope ya dont see many individual mushrooms,just thick patches oc crystal. Gonna cut some clones today, yep same strains Hog, HDF, and manatuska tundra. I've seen a lot of areo growers here and on OG. and know if i could match their skills with areo , then this will be a fine tuned machine, in the mean time im gonna just keep trying.

Dreamscape

Sick setup man - mucho respect ... And considering you hit .75 gpw on your first run with this home made bad boy - mas respect.

I dont know much about those strains but did you select them because they're small compact strains ??

I just read through all five pages so excuse me if I over looked this but is your pump set up so that there is 6 feed lines coming of the pump , a feed line going to each of the 6 octo's or do you feed the top and let the rest drip down some how ?? I've been wanting to do a vert grow myself but setting up the pump for three variable heights (i wanna do three levels of buckets) seems kind of intimidating seeing as i have no idea how to calculate PSI or what would be required haha ... Any help is appreciated bro ...

Thanks man and again , SICK grow !!!

Best of luck
~Dream

Last edited:

betterboy

Senseless:
the light guard screen was 32" dia. im gonna make it 14" dia. to give more room to the plants
the other change is im gonna add a bladder tank to maintain 60PSI at the sprayers, the best i got is ownly 30-32 PSI on this first run which really made it more of a NFT system, not enough oxygen to the roots even though the plants looked healthy.
I really over dryed the bud so i lost weight but Ill tell ya it was some killer bud!
Later i may redesign the feed bar as well but that will be after the next run. went to menards today and picked up all the goodies ill need for the changes, gotta get it done, the clones are rooting now.
Ill tell ya it was a lot of work to build, mostly cause of changes but well worth the effort, Im gonna build another just a bit smaller in dia. tofit my flowering room, Ill probably use 3- 600 in that one, gonna pick up some more of the dig. ballasts, they work great!

Dreamscape:
hope ya enjoyed the reading.I was disappointed with the weight but, I would have hit my 4lb mark if i hadn't over dryed the bud im sure.
The feed lines 1 feed line feeds 2 of the octagons, this setup has 8 octagon and 4 feed bars although I had the head room for ownly 6 oct for now. Each oct holds 16 plants so this was a 96 plant run.
I've always been impressed with the results of areo, fast growth and it seems to bring out more crystal, I wanted to build a system that was the best of both worlds by using 360 degrees of lighting , it had to be areo and using cubic ft. vs. sq. ft. so this is what I came ou with. I tryed this once using a F&D but didnt work out well. My pump experiance is really limited , I got my info from the guys here on the fourm, they are very helpful and knowledgeable people and always willing to help. Anything i can help ya with Ill be glad to help ya with.
with the improvements im gonna make for the next run I'll be shooting to break 5LBS. we''ll see
by the way! all the PVC in this unit will cost ya less than $200.00 , thats for the oct. and the stand complete

senseless

a smaller screen will for sure allow the plants to get more room. im sure you have cool tubes so you dont need to worry about a heat problem.

3x 600 watt lights sounds like it would be great as far as a more even light spread goes. with actually saving electricity.

Dreamscape

betterboy said:
Anything i can help ya with Ill be glad to help ya with.
with the improvements im gonna make for the next run I'll be shooting to break 5LBS. we''ll see
by the way! all the PVC in this unit will cost ya less than $200.00 , thats for the oct. and the stand complete

:bow: BET-TER-BOY :bow: BET-TER-BOY :bow: BET-TER-BOY

I'm gonna read through this bad boy again and see how confident I feel on attempting to emulate your work ... I've admired the coli but always thought it too much to run considering where I could grow ... After reading this grow thread - Simple and plain dude - you're the fucking man, in my eyes you're the equivalent of BigTokes cousin or something LOL ...

Later man , best of luck
~Dream

Last edited:

betterboy

The run i just finnished i didnt use the cool tubes how ever i do have 2- 6" and 2-8" cool tubes, I just put a fan in the middle and it worked out fine.When i move to my other grow house i will be using the cool tubes there.
I'll get some pic's soon with the new equiptment and give a discription of what im doing.
Dreamscape
if ya need any diamentions just give a holler and I'll get them for ya

Dreamscape

Betterboy - How long was each plant holding section of pipe in the 8 section octogons ?

Also a couple other small things -

I've been doing some research on pipe through google and I was wondering if you had any knowledge as to whats the difference between pvc SEWER pipe - pvc sched. 20 & 40 ?? I understand that the sched 20's walls are thinner than the sched 40's , which is why the 20 is cheaper, but what about the pvc "sewer" pipe ??

I ask about the sewer pipe because it seems to be the only pipe I can find that MIGHT closely resemble sched 20 in thickness (which I can't find ANY of online so far) and is ALSO available in sizes larger than 6" in diameter I'm looking for ATLEAST 6" and possibly upwards of 10" ...

Also - What do you think of ABS pipe ?? I've heard that ABS is cheaper and just as good ??

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it ...
~Dream

senseless

im pretty sure that schedule 40 is the grey 'non see through' pvc pipe. thats the kind you want if you dont want algea growing in your system.

Purgatory

betterboy said:
Thanks GrowNut, Im looking to break the 5Lb mark on the next run

Looking Good betterboy,
We both run similar setups(2k, Aero, Vert), getting 5 should be no prob off 2k( I only got 2 on my first run in vert). Took me a while to hit 5, I could never get the veg height right. I’m looking forward to your next grow.

Some Pix of my latest grw(Sensi Star left, Jack Herer right)

betterboy

Your right bought the differance in the pipe, sch 20 is S&D pipe and thin walled and the SCH 40 is much thicker. The S&D 45 degree fittings are $1.49, they went up they were $.99 ea. If the ABS is cheap dont see why it wouldn't work, dont know if ya would have to light proof it or not, both the sch 20 & 40 does though. If you go larger than the 4" pipe with this design I can see a few problems you'll run in to besides expence(BIG BUCKS) you would need to increase the pvc size for the stand, I used 1".
The 4" does work well and the roots justgrew down to the res but with water almost constantly flowing it kept enough oxygen in the water. when i took the system apart the roots were peral white,
if ya goto build one of these a chop saw works great! for the oct. pcs. they are 16" long and the fittings are 45 Degree

betterboy

HI Purgatory
glad to see ya stopped by.This was my ownly 2nd time grow with areo and with the first grow I built a Lothar system and was impressed with areo, but like the vertical .
I've grieved over the unit you have there but had to settle for my home made unit.(Cash Flow) problem!
Those things are like a jungle in there arent they, great looking grow ya got there

somoz

Veteran
there you are purg: 2 months later ya give an update in a different thread! haha........looks good man...really good......looks like you have the 3 tier setup so that's 160? you use the eco pump too or something else and are you doing a drip or aero system...one last question while i still have ya hear...you think you could do an aero rig with the coli but go medium less...say just neoprene or pool noodles?

sorry for crashin on the thread betterboy but purgatory is a hard man to track down on these boards.........and i've found good results with just using the SCH as my legs for support becauset he S+D is too weak imo....

somoz

Purgatory

betterboy:
I guess (cash flow)'s not a problem now, J/K. Are you ready for the next round; it's hard to keep these monsters in continuous turnover.

I remember thinking your screen looked a little to close to plants, i guess it was. Out of curiosity, did you trim, prune or train any of your plants in bloom or did you just let them grow wild?

60 pr tier, so 180; I use an Eco Diver 1000 rated at 52psi (leader makes bad ass pumps by the way). I run aero, no medium except for holding baskets and I’m pretty sure neoprene holders or pool noodles would work just fine if not better, I get a lot of leaks with the baskets.

The coli work’s great for aero and it's really not as bad on maintenance as everyone makes it out (except in the beginning and end). However plant numbers can be scary depending on where you live.

Sorry I haven’t started my own thread, I just don't think I could keep up with it right now. I still document all my runs in diff systems though (pics and all), one day I hope to post them all.