What's new

UVB VS NO UVB Side by Side

G

After the holidays Im probably going to buy a SolarMeter 6.2 and maybe a couple of different bulbs. For now Im sticking with my Reptisun 10.0. I only have two grows for the last 4 weeks of flower on them use wise so they should still be good.
If you choose not to share info that is obviously your call but while Im not from Missouri but still the "show me" thing is something I have come to rely on especially when it comes to claims on internet boards.

led05

Chasing The Present
After the holidays Im probably going to buy a SolarMeter 6.2 and maybe a couple of different bulbs. For now Im sticking with my Reptisun 10.0. I only have two grows for the last 4 weeks of flower on them use wise so they should still be good.
If you choose not to share info that is obviously your call but while Im not from Missouri but still the "show me" thing is something I have come to rely on especially when it comes to claims on internet boards.

Show you what, exactly?

UVB isn’t the grail, not by any means , one of many tools to use at a very advanced level... I.e you’ve been growing decades and have all dialed in, otherwise your likely to experience more negative than positive from legit artificial UVB created environments... focus on the myriad of other things more critical would be my advice for 99% out there.

I’m not claiming shit other than what bulbs produce good legit UVB, I have nothing to gain unless you think I own Ushio... haha

G

Show you what, exactly?

UVB isn’t the grail, not by any means , one of many tools to use at a very advanced level... I.e you’ve been growing decades and have all dialed in, otherwise your likely to experience more negative than positive from legit artificial UVB created environments... focus on the myriad of other things more critical would be my advice for 99% out there.

I’m not claiming shit other than what bulbs produce good legit UVB, I have nothing to gain unless you think I own Ushio... haha
Back to the ignore list. See ya 😘

led05

Chasing The Present
Back to the ignore list. See ya 😘

Ignore, what is this 3rd grade? I answer your pm’s, try and provide information and answers to help you, im sorry the truth isn’t what you’d like to hear, if u take the time to read through this thread and what I’ve posted I believe you’ll find what your seeking, perhaps not the results you seek but certainly answers .... fwiw

miata420

Read a couple of pages here and some articles about this uv b thing and the possible association w hindu kush and strong mountain strains
Well im no expert in botanics but having learnt biology in university the first thing that came to ky mind is that the uv does not have a direct effect on the thc production but part of some natural selection, like thc does protect against uvb but it does not build up but high ammounts rathet randomly appear as mutation and those survive better?
So if you start UVing your weak plant you rather kill it as if you were trying to expect someone getting strong from getting beaten up

brown_thumb

Read a couple of pages here and some articles about this uv b thing and the possible association w hindu kush and strong mountain strains
Well im no expert in botanics but having learnt biology in university the first thing that came to ky mind is that the uv does not have a direct effect on the thc production but part of some natural selection, like thc does protect against uvb but it does not build up but high ammounts rathet randomly appear as mutation and those survive better?
So if you start UVing your weak plant you rather kill it as if you were trying to expect someone getting strong from getting beaten up

Maybe... maybe not. Who's to say a more accurate analogy isn't; Forcing someone to exercise makes them to become stronger and more able to defend himself?

More UV from sunlight can burn a person's skin but will encourage more melanin production, does it not? Melanin is natural animal protection against UV, is it not?

ambertrichome

Veteran
In the late 70s, in SKYLAB, Cannabis was 1 of, if not the 1st plant grown in space.

They 100% did find that manipulating UVA/UVB, and Xenon they could alter the profile, ( IE. MORE THC ) and caused the plants to produce more THC. Yep they did. In 1977-78.
If my mind s not completely gone, the study was in High Times, not that I believe much of what they say, but it was a legit atricle.

With Xenon they flashed very quickly. Less than a second, with high levels Xenon, caused burn, and would also make it produce more THC..1,000,000's of lumens, and they only did it a couple times.

Easy7

Veteran
I find cannabis is already stupid potent. We're losing great yester year strains to 30% THC strains. I don't want to be disabled every time I toke. That's what extracts are for.

Easy7

Veteran
I don't think that more potent thc levels equals better feelings or more medicinal.

That's due to peoples tolerances. Not that a 30% isn't something worth anything. But some of the best stuff I've smoked was lower thc. Just grown very well and organically. Some chem stuff was good too.

I don't think I have smoked anything above 22 to 25 and that was trippy.

led05

Chasing The Present
In the late 70s, in SKYLAB, Cannabis was 1 of, if not the 1st plant grown in space.

They 100% did find that manipulating UVA/UVB, and Xenon they could alter the profile, ( IE. MORE THC ) and caused the plants to produce more THC. Yep they did. In 1977-78.
If my mind s not completely gone, the study was in High Times, not that I believe much of what they say, but it was a legit atricle.

With Xenon they flashed very quickly. Less than a second, with high levels Xenon, caused burn, and would also make it produce more THC..1,000,000's of lumens, and they only did it a couple times.

it's not just increased THC that matters, to me that's not at all what I'm even after, it also increases terpenes, and that's what counts....

Grow any herb inside, in a GH and then outside - the GH plants will look the best but no means will produce the most flavor etc (the key is to balance it all, GH like health with outside like power, flavor and so on)... it's very easily recognizable in Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Cilantro etc etc etc

ambertrichome

Veteran
Notice how the study said PROFILE, suggesting THC isn't the only thing altered.

THC IMHO DOES NOT EQUATE to necessarily stronger weed.

I smoked stuff that's testing over 26%, and have smoked more powerful weed that measured 20%.

Totally AGREE THC is NOT the End All o the cannabis plant/high ect.. 100% No Argument here.

Ive found WEED is NOT as potent on average as it was in the 80-90s. Especially from Commercially Mass Produced stuff, from most of the big companies.

Most of the stuff Super Sativa Seed Club, Nevil, Cultivators Choice in the 80s, and Sensi, Serious Seeds added in the 90s, amongst a few others.

I find stuff like Gorialla Glue, Girl Scout Cookies ect, ok, but short lived high, and not nearly as potent as the older stuff. Boring

Ive also been smoking since 1967, so Ive got a long catalog of what Ive smoked, and when.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Notice how the study said PROFILE, suggesting THC isn't the only thing altered.

THC IMHO DOES NOT EQUATE to necessarily stronger weed.

I smoked stuff that's testing over 26%, and have smoked more powerful weed that measured 20%.

Totally AGREE THC is NOT the End All o the cannabis plant/high ect.. 100% No Argument here.

Ive found WEED is NOT as potent on average as it was in the 80-90s. Especially from Commercially Mass Produced stuff, from most of the big companies.

Most of the stuff Super Sativa Seed Club, Nevil, Cultivators Choice in the 80s, and Sensi, Serious Seeds added in the 90s, amongst a few others.

I find stuff like Gorialla Glue, Girl Scout Cookies ect, ok, but short lived high, and not nearly as potent as the older stuff. Boring

Ive also been smoking since 1967, so Ive got a long catalog of what Ive smoked, and when.
I could not agree more.

I was in California 2 years ago and had the opportunity to sample the hybrid strains everyone was raving about. You are 100% spot on with a short and boring high from almost everything I sampled. The 2 best strains were Jack Herer (of course) and the Green Crack. Both grown organically in a greenhouse.

The 6 others I tried, also grown in the same greenhouse, weren't noteworthy other than they were the hottest thing on social media.

I'm so glad the bulk of my seed stock is from the early 2000's and I don't have to try and chase down the strains I have. Most of them today still on the market are re-engineered because the originals were lost.

BerrySeal

I don't think that more potent thc levels equals better feelings or more medicinal.

That's due to peoples tolerances. Not that a 30% isn't something worth anything. But some of the best stuff I've smoked was lower thc. Just grown very well and organically. Some chem stuff was good too.

I don't think I have smoked anything above 22 to 25 and that was trippy.

We always estimated out pot at no where near 20%, just totally guessing... Now if thc numbers mean anything, comparing homegrown to dispensary weed claiming 29% thc, homegrown mist be at least 50% thc... In other words, numbers sell to the most ignorant customers who waste the most money. Only reason any importance is put on "potency" (we can't even really call thc levels a potency, only a concentration, which varies tremendously throughout the plant) Because that's how people blow their money. On little names and numbers printed on jars.

ambertrichome

Veteran
Smoked some White Caramel Cookies from Denver Dispensary last week, and was rated at 27%.

While Ive not had my weed tested... Swami... Blue Orca Haze... If that weed was 27%.... Mine is 50%, as my weed is seemingly at least 2x more potent, toke for toke, and mine has a duration of 4 hours, where this stuff lasted about an hour, and a half.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoked some White Caramel Cookies from Denver Dispensary last week, and was rated at 27%.

While Ive not had my weed tested... Swami... Blue Orca Haze... If that weed was 27%.... Mine is 50%, as my weed is seemingly at least 2x more potent, toke for toke, and mine has a duration of 4 hours, where this stuff lasted about an hour, and a half.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofetbRBHXoc&t=2190s

Kevin touches on this subject. About how the numbers on a graph really don't correlate with what's going on when you smoke cannabis. It's a really interesting hour if you're someone like myself who is very interested in making a living growing legally while still providing a really good quality product.

Not from a scientific or technical perspective, but from a marketing perspective.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You guys ARE aware, almost all dispensary cannabis is harvested early. Which means it has no staying power and is like eating a green pear. Almost ripe, but not fully flavored and filling.

So, what I'm saying is it's best to get the strain from a competent and clean grower, harvested on time, to get a real idea of what a strain is capable of. :)

led05

Chasing The Present
Luckily....

Luckily....

for all of us the combination(s) of both Terpenes and cannabinoids is what drives the effect in the end user, this number of possibilities and %'s are into the billions.... Try all you may to concentrate down, unless it's physical and doing everything as a whole, proportionately nothing will ever be the same as well balanced flowers, i.e. no easy shortcuts for art & quality...

THC 35% vs a well rounded haze at 11%, I'll take that haze, a gram of it over an eighth of the 35% swag, ha

ambertrichome

Veteran
I clearly stated MY Weed ( Blue Orca Haze ) was seemingly 2x more potent vs White Caramel Cookies from Denver Dispensary, and it was rated 27%.

Im in a nonlegal state, and have yet to see any that beats ours, and Ive had all kinds of it from Cali, Colorado, Michigan.. But none from Oregon, or Wash st.

Best stuff Ive smoked from legal states so far, came from Michigan, a friend, of my friend brought some down 3 years ago, gave some to my friend, and he smoked it with me. Don't know the strain, but you knew it was good after the 1st hit.
Still after 3 years, it beats the other legal state weed that Ive smoked, but was not any better ( Just as good ) than our BOH.

Im sure there is just as good, or better weed than mine in any of those states, and I know what Id go after if I was out there.

I know what I want, and very few places in any of them, have what I want.

Colorado Cough being 1.

REAL NL5.. Original Cut/Clone Only, NOT the Hybridized with Afghan. REAL 1985 NL5 cut is mainly Thai.
Skelly Hashplant???
1995 Black Domina cut.
95 cut Sharon White Widow.
79 Romulan cut
89 UK Cheese

And some others. Its all out there, but Im sure it sells as fast as it can be supplied. But its there.

BerrySeal

for all of us the combination(s) of both Terpenes and cannabinoids is what drives the effect in the end user, this number of possibilities and %'s are into the billions.... Try all you may to concentrate down, unless it's physical and doing everything as a whole, proportionately nothing will ever be the same as well balanced flowers, i.e. no easy shortcuts for art & quality...

THC 35% vs a well rounded haze at 11%, I'll take that haze, a gram of it over an eighth of the 35% swag, ha

The gay little terps on the Leafly terp wheel don't do shit. If they did I'd spend more money at the essential oil store. Its the Cannabinoid profile, all the minors, and the fats waxes, sugars acids alcohols, things along that line that improve potency.. Not more thc. Modern strains suck because of the light spectrums they were bred under. Modern crops sucks because of the hydroponic methodology. Its lettuce in the shape of weed. Celery bud. No substance. Good weed is no different than good fruits and vegetables.

You can eat 20 lbs of hydroponic strawberries after dinner and still ask "what's for dessert?" Getting high ain't no difference.