What's new

Unsure of how frequently to feed with Canna Coco A + B (Leaves are yellowing)

Dynamix

Hi there

I am very new to this and was always under the impression to feed once weekly which is what I have been doing.

I started off with Jack Herer autos growing in Coco 50% and Seed raising mix 50% with 2 hand fulls of perlite.

My dosage of Canna Coco is 7 ML of Part A then 7 ML of Part B both mixed into 2 litres of water.

The leaves were getting very yellow 4 days ago so I took the whole plants out and completely rinsed the roots under water then put them in a new mix of Coirlite (70% coir & 30% Perlite)

I immediately fed it with the above dosage I mentioned of the Canna Coco. Still I got yellow leaves.

Should I be applying the feed EVERY time i water these plants?

The leaves got little what look like tiny white marks on them like someone had stubbed a cigarette out on them and more yellow than should be.

any advice would be great please

Many thanks

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi there

I am very new to this and was always under the impression to feed once weekly which is what I have been doing.

I started off with Jack Herer autos growing in Coco 50% and Seed raising mix 50% with 2 hand fulls of perlite.

My dosage of Canna Coco is 7 ML of Part A then 7 ML of Part B both mixed into 2 litres of water.

The leaves were getting very yellow 4 days ago so I took the whole plants out and completely rinsed the roots under water then put them in a new mix of Coirlite (70% coir & 30% Perlite)

I immediately fed it with the above dosage I mentioned of the Canna Coco. Still I got yellow leaves.

The leaves got little what look like tiny white marks on them like someone had stubbed a cigarette out on them and more yellow than should be.

Many thanks
Its best to feed with every watering using an appropriate EC or ppm. If you want to know what you are doing then you need to get yourself a cheap TDS or EC meter. They are so easy to use and give the grower details about the amount of nutrients in the water and coco.

The way I feed is use 1/2 the manufacturer's recommendations or less and feed with every watering. When watering let a little water come out the bottom of the pot. If you had a meter you could test the water that goes in the top of the pot and the water that comes out the bottom and see how much fertilizer that's in the water. Good luck friend.

Old Uncle Ben

Hi there

Many thanks
Do you know what exactly the nutrients, NPK ratio and micors are you're giving them? IOW, who cares about part A and B. That's con job stuff on the part of this industry.

Brother Nature

With coco you generally want to feed every watering. According to Canna, if the A and B are mixed without the presence of H2O, the nutrients 'clog' and the plant can't absorb them. As Creeper said, you also need to ensure you know and keep your input ph around 5.8. I'd always found it to be a good line for running in coco, though there are cheaper one part nutrients that will do the same thing.

There is an incredible thread in the coco section, by a guy known as The.Cook, if you read it until you understand it, you'll master your coco grow in no time :)

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Are you measuring the ph of your nutrient solution? Canna recommends ph of 5.2 for the Substra line knowing it will drift upward. Not sure where they recommend the Coco line be set as far as ph.

Canna has very good nutrient charts and a calculator to select resevoir size. You can put in smaller sizes to reflect mixing by liter or gallon.

Coco should be fed every time. It is possible to keep Coco too wet when plants are establishing their root system, and have problems similar to overwatering in soil.

Old Uncle Ben

With coco you generally want to feed every watering. According to Canna, if the A and B are mixed without the presence of H2O, the nutrients 'clog' and the plant can't absorb them. As Creeper said, you also need to ensure you know and keep your input ph around 5.8. I'd always found it to be a good line for running in coco, though there are cheaper one part nutrients that will do the same thing.

There is an incredible thread in the coco section, by a guy known as The.Cook, if you read it until you understand it, you'll master your coco grow in no time :)

Grew some orchids in coco. It's an inert medium, really doesn't provide any nutrients until it starts breaking down.

Not sure why any one would grow pot in it when soil is so much cheaper and works better regarding holding moisture and nutrients.

UB

Brother Nature

I liked it when I was new to growing as it as very easy to take a set of predefined values for inputs and get good results, very little thinking involved, pay and spray if you will.

In saying that my grows have vastly improved by my heading advice from horticulturists rather than pot growers... ;)