What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

University of Sydney believe they have found a fourth species of cannabis.

T

Terps

i think there is already four c.indica c.afghanica c.sativa and c.ruderalis.

could be wrong.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
The test results show that the species is resistant to freezing temperatures and the plant grows more like a shrub, without the archetypal candelabra shape of most cannabis strains.

Countless cannabis breeders the world over have offered to pay upwards of $2,000 per seed, but Pool stated “The only problem is that we don’t have any seeds, we only have one plant,”
...... speechless.....

Space Toker

Veteran
I thought there was only one species (Cannabis sativa) and all others were subspecies. No, you're right, I thought it was classified all as one species once, but at least according to wiki there are 3 (now 4?).

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rItvtvi.jpg

Source

Still fairly skeptical. There is a lot of malarkey around this story.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Mikel

OK ...
After seeing that pic I call BS .

I know that herb in the pic . Its called Mongy Weed down here . AKA ABC- Australian Bastard Cannabis as named by Marc Emery who visited Oz and took Mongy seeds back to Canukistan .
Its from a region [Hunter Valley NSW] that had some of the original Hemp Crops from pioneering dayz .Story goes the British stopped off to collect Hemp seed in Sthn India ... Good Hemp in Kerala lol .

Prolly a sport [mutation . ] It only grows to about 30cm tall . And has low potency . When hybridised it reverts back to regular leaves .

Its held by a guy by the name of Mongy Man . Find him @ Oz Stoners forum .

Though the articles description sounds like something different again . Bush structure ? The mountains where it was found don`t get that cold . ie is doesn't snow there .Add to that the Blue Mountains sit at 33 deg Latitude Sth and its not that amazing .

So it is just click bait I`m afraid .

Nothing in Oz news re ??

So in conclusion .The article is a prolly load of rubbish .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

fabvariousk

Veteran
How angry would Emery be knowing that people are willing to pay 2,000 a seed for something he was giving a way years ago? Lol
For that money you could have almost ordered a pack of Jack Herer off of him!

SteamBoy

they'll find another? researchers are amazing....

Hi All

thanks to a co-researcher in the field of Cannabis I was made aware of this new article. Considering the heritage of the Widow and alot of my personal work in the field of selective breeding, it seems that Sativas will soon be classified differently due to their differing Cannabinoids/Terpines. With over 600 different Cannabinoids that are found on the plant, science has the ability to verify about 30, and technology existing can measure only 2/3 of those.

As usual fear and greed caused prohibition on Cannabis before it could be sure of anything except what was visual and that was a bunch of hippies preaching peace and love. But time will reveal the truths that are invisible to the eye...and the reason we are already gathered together in forums such as this one discussing...Cannabis is the future.

Hope you realize the implications this article will bring in time...I think it will be GREAT. Happy reading....all the best Shantibaba

Rasta lends its name to a third type of cannabis

http://www.newscientist.com/article...=mg18725175.200

AS POLICE and dope smokers know, there are two types of cannabis. Cannabis sativa sativa is mainly used to make hemp, while the indica subspecies is prized for its tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content, which produces the "high". But now Australian researchers have discovered a third type of cannabis, called rasta.

Simon Gilmore of the Canberra Institute of Technology catagorised 196 sample plants according to the DNA in their mitochondria and chloroplasts. The samples included plants grown for drugs and hemp as well as wild varieties from Europe, Asia, Africa, Mexico and Jamaica.

The results showed three distinct "races" of cannabis. In central Asia the THC-rich indica predominated, while in western Europe sativa was more common. In India, south-east Asia, Africa, Mexico and Jamaica the rasta variant predominated. It looks similar to the sativa subspecies, but generally contains higher levels of THC.

Since the study was of DNA rather than a formal taxonomic study, Cannabis sativa rasta is not yet an official new subspecies: the name was the result of a competition in Gilmore's lab. Their work is expected to appear in the journal Forensic Science International later this year.
From issue 2517 of New Scientist magazine, 20 September 2005, page 12

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Many, many, many arguments against this claim.

Let's try this one as a starter; does a single plant, a species make? Methinks not.

#CANNAFAIL

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone emailed the dumbass and told him to self it lol... his email is in the story after the money reward... lol

Latest posts

Latest posts