What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Two questions: cannabis "canes" and grafting

PoppinFresh

Soooo, is it possible? Do we have information regarding these two things?

Like roses can be come back to life after winter, can marijuana do that as well? I ask because in some FB geoup I can't find again, someone had already harvested some indoor bud.

Anyway, they left the "cane" and it sprouted a few small buds. I've seen that before in my own current grow, just random larf poppin up with fan leaves that have long been gone but I still got 2 to 3 weeks before harvest.

So, is a cannabis cane a thing?

My next question, to be more specific, can I take a cut and graft it to a plant during or after harvest?

I'm near harvest. I'm ready to try both things.

mr.brunch

Veteran
You can reveg if you leave a few small buds and leaves and put it on 18/6 at least for a few weeks with some high N feeds.

Grafting works on vegging plants but I doubt it once flowering is over… can’t see any advantage in grafting a new branch onto an old rootstock

Ca++

Your winter might effect this. In the UK, last years plants have rotted beyond recognition. In a 12/12 zone, I think you would be lucky. They are single season plants. A few mutants have popped up though. Forever bud is available in seed, if you have the weather for it.

PoppinFresh

You can reveg if you leave a few small buds and leaves and put it on 18/6 at least for a few weeks with some high N feeds.

Grafting works on vegging plants but I doubt it once flowering is over… can’t see any advantage in grafting a new branch onto an old rootstock
Yeah reveg takes too long especially when I got plants q'd up, can flower now but keeping them short til I harvest.

Wouldnt the advantage to grafting be having an already developed rootzone? Wouldnt have to wait for the roots. It'd be off to a runnin start.

Damn I want to try but I dont want to wait lol

PoppinFresh

Your winter might effect this. In the UK, last years plants have rotted beyond recognition. In a 12/12 zone, I think you would be lucky. They are single season plants. A few mutants have popped up though. Forever bud is available in seed, if you have the weather for it.
I think if I try it, I'd do better in soil. Right now, I'm all DWC and indoors. I gotta think about it lol

MROrganicGreenz

I think grafting into a flowering plant isn't very promising, since hormonally the plant is in generative phase. Grafting is possible and you can succeed there. There is even a few threads in the forum. Also there was a paper around, where they successfully grafted strains that had bad rooting in cuttings. If u interested, I can dig in my library.

But in the end you would never try to graft into a plant that is in flower. Every wound needs to heal and every stressor might lead to herming. I wouldnt go for it, but in the spirit of science, I would say: Please do and share your results

Regards

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip friend. Start some new seeds there are plenty of super strains to choose from. Good luck.