What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Two House Bills Would End Federal Prohibition Of Marijuana

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Posted: <TIME datetime="2015-02-20T16:27:41-05:00">02/20/2015 4:27 pm EST </TIME>Updated: <TIME datetime="2015-02-20T16:59:01-05:00">44 minutes ago </TIME><!-- Breaking news bar --><!-- main entry body -->
<!-- Article content --><!-- entry header --><ARTICLE class=entry><HEADER><!-- Article Main Image --><!-- article image/video (if applicable) -->
n-MARIJUANA-large570.jpg

<!-- Imageblog Social Share Bar --><!-- Social Share Bar -->
<MENU class="social_badges_en social-bar group floating" style="DISPLAY: block"></SECTION></MENU>
Two congressmen filed separate House bills on Friday that together would legalize, regulate and tax marijuana at the federal level, effectively ending the U.S. government's decadeslong prohibition of the plant.
Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) introduced the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act, which would remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act's schedules, transfer oversight of the substance from the Drug Enforcement Administration over to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and regulate marijuana in a way similar to how alcohol is currently regulated in the U.S.
Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) introduced the Marijuana Tax Revenue Act, which would set up a federal excise tax for regulated marijuana. <FORM id=qas_dfp_frm style="DISPLAY: none" method=get name=qas_dfp_frm action="" target=""> </FORM>The bills would not force states to legalize marijuana, but a federal regulatory framework would be in place for those states that do decide to legalize it. To date, four states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational marijuana (however, D.C.'s model continues to ban sales), 23 states have legalized marijuana for medical purposes and 11 other states have legalized the limited use of low-THC forms of marijuana for medical use.
"While President Obama and the Justice Department have allowed the will of voters in states like Colorado and 22 other jurisdictions to move forward, small business owners, medical marijuana patients, and others who follow state laws still live with the fear that a new administration -- or this one -- could reverse course and turn them into criminals," Polis said in a statement Friday. "It is time for us to replace the failed prohibition with a regulatory system that works and let states and municipalities decide for themselves if they want, or don't want, to have legal marijuana within their borders."
Despite the programs currently in place in Colorado and Washington state -- as well as those that will soon go into effect in Oregon, Alaska and D.C. -- the sale, possession, production and distribution of marijuana all remain illegal under federal law. The states that have legalized marijuana or softened penalties for possession have only been able to do so because of federal guidance urging prosecutors to refrain from targeting state-legal marijuana operations.
With marijuana legalization supported by a majority of Americans, and a new wave of states considering loosening their marijuana laws over the next several years, it seems unlikely that the federal government would push back against the popular movement. But it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.
Harvard economist Jeff Miron, a vocal supporter of marijuana policy reform, highlighted the precarious nature of state marijuana laws in a recent op-ed for CNN on why Congress needs to act now on federal marijuana policy.
"Despite the compelling case for legalization, and progress toward legalization at the state level, ultimate success is not assured," Miron wrote. "Federal law still prohibits marijuana, and existing jurisprudence (Gonzales v. Raich 2005) holds that federal law trumps state law when it comes to marijuana prohibition. So far, the federal government has mostly taken a hands-off approach to state medicalizations and legalizations, but in January 2017, the country will have a new president. That person could order the attorney general to enforce federal prohibition regardless of state law."
On Friday, Blumenauer called the federal prohibition of marijuana "a failure" that has wasted tax dollars and ruined lives. He also said it's time for the government to forge a new path ahead for the plant.
"As more states move to legalize marijuana as Oregon, Colorado, Washington and Alaska have done," Blumenauer said, "it's imperative the federal government become a full partner in building a workable and safe framework."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...ress_n_6722686.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

N

noyd666

watching this with bated breath, no dought other countries .also have useless bastards down here.

George

Posted: <TIME datetime="2015-02-20T16:27:41-05:00">02/20/2015 4:27 pm EST </TIME>Updated: <TIME datetime="2015-02-20T16:59:01-05:00">44 minutes ago </TIME><!-- Breaking news bar --><!-- main entry body -->
<!-- Article content --><!-- entry header --><ARTICLE class=entry><HEADER><!-- Article Main Image --><!-- article image/video (if applicable) --> [URL=http://s.huffpost.com/images/social/pin_icon_onhover.png]View Image[/URL]View Image

<!-- Imageblog Social Share Bar --><!-- Social Share Bar -->
<MENU class="social_badges_en social-bar group floating" style="DISPLAY: block"></SECTION></MENU>
Two congressmen filed separate House bills on Friday that together would legalize, regulate and tax marijuana at the federal level, effectively ending the U.S. government's decadeslong prohibition of the plant.
Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) introduced the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act, which would remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act's schedules, transfer oversight of the substance from the Drug Enforcement Administration over to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and regulate marijuana in a way similar to how alcohol is currently regulated in the U.S.
Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) introduced the Marijuana Tax Revenue Act, which would set up a federal excise tax for regulated marijuana. <FORM id=qas_dfp_frm style="DISPLAY: none" method=get name=qas_dfp_frm action="" target=""> </FORM>The bills would not force states to legalize marijuana, but a federal regulatory framework would be in place for those states that do decide to legalize it. To date, four states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational marijuana (however, D.C.'s model continues to ban sales), 23 states have legalized marijuana for medical purposes and 11 other states have legalized the limited use of low-THC forms of marijuana for medical use.
"While President Obama and the Justice Department have allowed the will of voters in states like Colorado and 22 other jurisdictions to move forward, small business owners, medical marijuana patients, and others who follow state laws still live with the fear that a new administration -- or this one -- could reverse course and turn them into criminals," Polis said in a statement Friday. "It is time for us to replace the failed prohibition with a regulatory system that works and let states and municipalities decide for themselves if they want, or don't want, to have legal marijuana within their borders."
Despite the programs currently in place in Colorado and Washington state -- as well as those that will soon go into effect in Oregon, Alaska and D.C. -- the sale, possession, production and distribution of marijuana all remain illegal under federal law. The states that have legalized marijuana or softened penalties for possession have only been able to do so because of federal guidance urging prosecutors to refrain from targeting state-legal marijuana operations.
With marijuana legalization supported by a majority of Americans, and a new wave of states considering loosening their marijuana laws over the next several years, it seems unlikely that the federal government would push back against the popular movement. But it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.
Harvard economist Jeff Miron, a vocal supporter of marijuana policy reform, highlighted the precarious nature of state marijuana laws in a recent op-ed for CNN on why Congress needs to act now on federal marijuana policy.
"Despite the compelling case for legalization, and progress toward legalization at the state level, ultimate success is not assured," Miron wrote. "Federal law still prohibits marijuana, and existing jurisprudence (Gonzales v. Raich 2005) holds that federal law trumps state law when it comes to marijuana prohibition. So far, the federal government has mostly taken a hands-off approach to state medicalizations and legalizations, but in January 2017, the country will have a new president. That person could order the attorney general to enforce federal prohibition regardless of state law."
On Friday, Blumenauer called the federal prohibition of marijuana "a failure" that has wasted tax dollars and ruined lives. He also said it's time for the government to forge a new path ahead for the plant.
"As more states move to legalize marijuana as Oregon, Colorado, Washington and Alaska have done," Blumenauer said, "it's imperative the federal government become a full partner in building a workable and safe framework."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...ress_n_6722686.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

oh really?? but i thought the federal law was the only one that mattered....

:moon:

oldchuck

Veteran
This bill will never pass our current hard right wing congress. I'd rather see it done state by state anyway.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting article...
The laws being proposed will do nothing to curtail the black market...

TAXES, YOU FOOLISH POLITICIANS, ARE THE BASIS OF A BLACK MARKET.
WHEN TAXES ARE INFLATED, SO ARE BLACK MARKET SALES.

And no matter what...
Ignorant voters are slowly eroding their own Rights to life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness because they think they're "special intrest" is more important that their neighbors.

If ya got no controls over your own actions then you have no business, what so ever, attempting to control others.

oh really?? but i thought the federal law was the only one that mattered....

:moon:

LMAO!!!

Cool Moe

Veteran
Tax and Regulate Cannabis like Alcohol makes the most sense for the U.S. government, while state by state changes allow for small businesses to have a chance. Banking services are the key, without a state/fed agreement, how would it ever work? I say reschedule it let the voters have their say and the researchers and farmers do their work.

Imagine if cannabis reformed the banking and other industries and made them fruitful by their merits? Clone and seed businesses will be huge and the best genetics will win a spot in the game. Jobs for business owners, retail and delivery stores,consultants, breeders, farmers, trimmers and processors, packaging companies, hvac and electrical contractors, carpenters, builders, hydro stores, test labs, outdoor secure hoop house and greenhouse construction, the list goes on and on. Eventually supply will meet demand and drive down prices everywhere, creating good jobs and cash flow through the system, even forcing the growers to put out their best effort.

Better weed, better schools, better roads, better rope. I'd vote for it. Which party will make it a part of their strategy in 2016?

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Wether or not these bills pass, they are the first time in my 45 years I can remember any bill on the federal level having any language remotely close to what these contain.I could be wrong and probably am, but I think these are the first bills of this kind EVER to be introduced in my entire life.

This is it.
We are finally here. As phil collins said "Ive been waiting for this moment for all my life, hold on...."

It does not matter if it fails the first time. This is the point of no return.This is a black eye in the face of the far-right who've profited from this substance being illegal for nearly 80 years.

The Genie's out of the bottle. This elephant will no longer be ignored.

These two bills will just keep coming back up over and over till it passes in some form or another. that could mean as soon as this year. or just one or two more before the dems build their consensus. And heres the rub, There are republican weed supporters out there. I know quite a few personally. If those polls were really true, something like 65% of the nation is in favor of legalizaton as in like tobacco and alcohol. Theres not much the wingnuts in the party can do but stall.
The winds of change have arrived and that weather is on our doorstep. Thanks to these representatives , we have finally elected people willing to put their careers on the line and introduce legislation to end the war on (brown people) drugs.

This might be the single best news Ive read in my lifetime.
Ive just read through these bills, and one is to legalize and set limits on penaltes of not more than $1000 for not having a permit. this essentially frees nearly half of our prison population. The second bill shows the first two years will be taxed at 10% the third year 15, on up to the 5th year and final increase to 25%. Gross.
They want ALOT of our money from this. Id pay that tax happily. So

George

Wether or not these bills pass, they are the first time in my 45 years I can remember any bill on the federal level having any language remotely close to what these contain.I could be wrong and probably am, but I think these are the first bills of this kind EVER to be introduced in my entire life.

This is it.
We are finally here. As phil collins said "Ive been waiting for this moment for all my life, hold on...."

It does not matter if it fails the first time. This is the point of no return.This is a black eye in the face of the far-right who've profited from this substance being illegal for nearly 80 years.

The Genie's out of the bottle. This elephant will no longer be ignored.

These two bills will just keep coming back up over and over till it passes in some form or another. that could mean as soon as this year. or just one or two more before the dems build their consensus. And heres the rub, There are republican weed supporters out there. I know quite a few personally. If those polls were really true, something like 65% of the nation is in favor of legalizaton as in like tobacco and alcohol. Theres not much the wingnuts in the party can do but stall.
The winds of change have arrived and that weather is on our doorstep. Thanks to these representatives , we have finally elected people willing to put their careers on the line and introduce legislation to end the war on (brown people) drugs.

This might be the single best news Ive read in my lifetime.
Ive just read through these bills, and one is to legalize and set limits on penaltes of not more than $1000 for not having a permit. this essentially frees nearly half of our prison population. The second bill shows the first two years will be taxed at 10% the third year 15, on up to the 5th year and final increase to 25%. Gross.
They want ALOT of our money from this. Id pay that tax happily. So
Somebody vote this nigga in as president, or at least let him write his speeches LOL.

:trampoline: