What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Twisting leaves

oregon_guy

Hello fellow Icers,
I am having some issues with one of my plants. The leaves seem to be twisting and feathering. It is not too serious as of yet but would like to fix the problem. Here is some quick info:

Strain-Southern Lights (Sensi Star X NYCD)
Soilless Mix (Commercial Blend)
Vegged for 5 weeks
Transplanted into 3 gallon pot about 2 weeks ago.
Flipped to 12/12 about 9 days ago.
PH of water runs 6.5-7.0 (Tap Water)
Fox Farm 3 part fert. (Generally use 1/2 to 3/4 strength)

I have 2 plants of this same strain. The other one is in perfect health as well as the rest of plants in the flower tent. I have seen this problem in past grows but they always seem to clear up after a little while. Would like to know what causes this though.

picture.php

picture.php

Thank you in advance for any input :joint:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Are the veins only on your leaves neon yellow like that, or is it just the way the lighting is?

WHat temps are these plants kept in? Lights on and off?
What tent is this your growing in, cause a lot of tents out there will cause the newer growths to yellow, the new growth you are seeing the neon green color, this is not normal, the chlorphyll should be darker for the size of the leaf.....

Since it has happened past grows and if those leaves are showing neon green in the veins, I would pitch the grow tent, Cause yellow veins like that most of the time is shown in zinc deficiency plants, but happens in young plants I have seen, never in plants this size.... chances are you may have a tent that off gasses...... you keep the tent open or closed up?

To be on the safe side and make sure your issue may be able to get fixed, can you please fill out the questions below so others can help out as well? More info the better/higher chance you have of getting your problem fixed.

Also, I don't know how big the pot size is, since it's not a great shot of it, but having plants in small pots will show nutrient issues from tight rootbound problem......

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on?
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What Nutrient's are you using?
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding?
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Are you using water from a water softener?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

oregon_guy

First off thanks MynameStitch for such a quick response. Second, I hope that its not the tent cause if I have to lay out more money for another tent, I will not be getting any from my GF for awhile after the $$ I have been spending on beans and other sorted stuff. I purchased this tent from HTG supply about 8 months ago and they claim that thier tents do not gas off. Here is my exact tent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GROW-TENT-39x39...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:1|294:30

I have had 2 successful grows in this tent without many problems. I do keep the tent sealed up both with lights on and off. When I noticed some symptoms similar to this, the plants were in a different tent. So I don't think its the tent. Could be wrong though???

The leaves on that plant does show yellow veins. The new growth through the stretch does show a lighter shade of green but I think I have always noticed a lighter shade on the new growth after the flip to 12/12.

I transplanted from 1/2 gallon to 3 gallon bags/pots and threw them into 12/12 a few days after transplant. I did forget to mention that a couple of my transplants I had to use approx 25% of a different soilless mix as I ran low of my normal soilless stuff. The one with the problems is one of 25% mixture. The other plant with that same mixture looks fine.

Here is some pics of the other plants that are in the same tent:

picture.php

picture.php

Here is the sick SL plant. I did give her a 5 gallon straight water flush tonight. The water was PH'd at 6-6.5

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here is the same SL strain (different pheno) same amount of time in 12/12 (13 days) only this plant does not have the 25% different soil mix. I think she is looking really good (atleast in my eyes):

picture.php

picture.php

I will break this up a bit and answer the form questions in the next post.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Some of those pictures look as if they are showing an iron problem.

WHat was in the mixture of the 2 soils.... what was in one of them and brand name and what was in the other one..... cause you could have mixed a mixture that does not work well with each other like if you mix one that needs to have a low pH and then mix that with a soil that needs a bit higher pH and you get a tug of war.
some of the pictures show like a zinc deficiency, if you look at my sick plants guide and go down to zinc, you will see what I am talking about.
I have only found zinc related issues to be due to high phosphorus levels in the soil...... or pH is way off...

MOst grow tents of the nature of the picture you showed do have the off gassing problem.

I suggest you should read the link at the top of this form called growtent off gassing warning.

http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=103953

Your plants look like the others that had similar issues..... but with the 2 soils too, it's going to be hard to rule out which one was which.
but, try removing the ones that have the problem and keep them on the same feeding schedule you have. If it is the tent they should heal up fully in a week and start to bring the color back to the infected leaves virtually overnight or a few days......

oregon_guy

Continued...

How long has this problem been going on?---7-10 days

What STRAIN are you growing?---Southern Lights

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)---Seed

What is the age of your plants?---Veg 36 days/Flower 13 days

How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?---13 days

How Tall are the plants?--around 20"

What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?---Flower

What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)--None, Straight up grow

What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)---3 gallon

What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)---Proven Winners brand sunshine soilless mix

What Nutrient's are you using?---FoxFarm 3 bottle GB, BB, TB

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*--Used the TB at half strengh when put into 12/12

How often are you feeding?---Every other watering (Every 4-5 days. I let the soil dry out a little before each new watering.)

If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?--First day of 12/12.

What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)--??Not sure what this means

What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?---??? Do not have one but its on my list.

What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?---I have never really tested the runoff. I allow maybe 25% runoff

What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?---The cheap drip into test tube(general hydro brand)

How often are you watering?---Every 4-5 days (Fertilize every other watering)

When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?---Fert 5 days ago/Straight water flush tonight

What size bulb are you using?---400 watt HPS
What is the distance to the canopy?---12-18"

What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)---Have to check. I never pay much attention during the first half of flowering

What is the canopy temperature?---About 76 degrees

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)---Day 78-82 Night 70-78 degrees.

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)---I have 1 240 CFM (I think) intake. There is 1 240 CFM running my cool tube that also acts as my exhaust.

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?---They both run 24/0

Is the fan blowing directly at plants?---No, The intake comes in at almost floor level and filters up through plants.

Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?---What is substrate? I let the soil dry out somewhat between waterings.

Is your water HARD or SOFT?---Have never tested it. I do use a product called water conditioner made by black jack. Not sure what it really does except everyone uses it at the local grow shop and my plants have always seemed to like it.

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?---Tap water after a 24 hour rest

Are you using water from a water softener?---? Does the Water Conditioner count as a water softner?

Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?---Cloned a few days before being thrown into 12/12

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?---No pest controls have been used.

Are plant's infected with pest's?---Not that I can see. I have not had many problems since switching to seed grows only. The clones I took was the first clones I have had for 2 years.

its420

some strains just have that twisty leaf pattern, they look healthy to me
my bubba kush and an orang kush x i have both have the same thing
the bubba grows out of it
the orange kush never does
nothing wrong with either of them
PEACE

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
420, you are correct, some strains have twisty to there leaves which is also called a mutation, but there is something wrong, veins are not supposed to be neon green and then green around them, not to mention the lighter color green. For the most part his crop is very very healthy, the only thing I am commenting on is the veins being neon green and some of the leaves not getting there color correctly...

Oregon guy, are you sure those temps are correct? Night and day.... cause the lighter color you are seeing on the new semi new leaves, there chlorophyll production that gives it's natural green color can slow down by getting in hot/cold weather day after day.......

Latest posts

Latest posts