What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

Congrats.here's to 35 more.
Thanks. There's been a lot of rollercoasting in the 35 years of marriage and the 10 months of cohabitation preceding, but with the kids now grown and gone, for better or for worse, the vacuum that left for me, and various disabilities resulting from the nearly lethal surgery a few years back, there's been a shifting of definitions and fit, sometimes greater friction, but most of it finding a new way of being and fitting comfortably.

Still a good relationship, with some distance to go.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Today's my wife's and my 35th wedding anniversary, and we don't eat out in restaurants anymore, since COVID. So not for about 4-1/4 years+ now.

But we do get take-out on rare occasion.

So, we're doing something we've not typically done. We're picking a couple items from each of three restaurants, one with Asian cuisine, one with Mediterranean cuisine, and one with Eastern European/Slovakian/Moldavian.

I'll run into town 20-miles for some eye-related business, grab a couple grocery items, and while my wife is making a lower-carb New York-style cheesecake with a ground walnut and butter crust, I'll be expediting my rounds to the 3 restaurants in town, hoping to get all of the food home before the various dishes 'mulch out' from being enclosed in a hot humid container.

I'll likely eat the deep-fried calamari in the car, as otherwise the breading will be too soft and lose its crispy decadent crust.

And we're going to uncork the LAST 750ml bottle of the extremely good homemade chokecherry wine.

Sacrifices must be made.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............calamari!!
Happy 35th yesterday.

buzzmobile

Veteran
That's great moose. We are not restaurant fans either. Or maybe actually I am not due to travel abuse and my spouse is not due to the danger of it for the immunocompromised . . .

Anyways, every once in a while, I will make an elaborate fried rice - jasmine rice with some leftover meat, fried egg, peppers etc and then I will pick up a $15 order of chicken balls from a local Chinese restaurant that has truly crappy food - except for the chicken balls. Everybody like chicken balls - even our cat goes nuts for them - really!
Do chicken balls come from roosters?

CharlesU Farley

Today's my wife's and my 35th wedding anniversary, and we don't eat out in restaurants anymore, since COVID. So not for about 4-1/4 years+ now.
Moose eater, sometimes I think we are brothas from another motha. ;)

Harley and I are also celebrating 35 years of marriage this year, at the end of September, and it's the second marriage for both of us. :eek:

She squares my circle and makes life worthwhile, along with the kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.

We're two lucky motherfuckers, but we both worked hard to be lucky. :cool: (y)

moose eater

Moose eater, sometimes I think we are brothas from another motha. ;)

Harley and I are also celebrating 35 years of marriage this year, at the end of September, and it's the second marriage for both of us. :eek:

She squares my circle and makes life worthwhile, along with the kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.

We're two lucky motherfuckers, but we both worked hard to be lucky. :cool: (y)
Congratulations on your family and marriage, Charles.

No grand babies or great grand babies yet, and in some cases, I hope it remains that way for a while, even if I'm dead before they might arrive..

I'm opposed to the more modern (in my age timeline) of the pro-corporatists' baby-raising model of having others in day cares raise peoples' babies so the parents can work a job or more each, for peasant wages, with the kids spending more waking hours of the day with the day care providers than the parents, often without so much as an interpersonal, directed, in-depth casual conversation about life values, etc.

Our daughter is our oldest and she's wrapped up in a fairly demanding profession as well as pursuing a master's degree as an administrator in that field.

Our next oldest is struggling a bit, but getting by, sometimes with help from us, and not really in a position to launch into a serious long-term relationship, though I suspect he might like one eventually. But also, aware enough of himself to know that diving in with both feet (prematurely, as our daughter has done numerous times) is not a wise thing to do.

Our youngest son is not getting married or pregnant right away, though he cohabitates with his girlfriend, whom he's never formally introduced me to, and he's wrapped up in his own self-absorption like the average young American male who thinks he's figured out life... but hasn't.

I haven't tried to speak with him in a relatively long while, he's absorbed into priorities that he's too young to realize shouldn't be his priorities at all, and in my opinion, as long as he's as shallow and self-absorbed as he is, he's an asshole. So, I haven't gone out of my way to contact him in a good long while.

When the little fucker called his mother 2 weeks after Mother's Day, I didn't have my glasses on to see the incoming caller ID, or I probably wouldn't have answered. Instead, once I heard his voice, I simply handed the phone to his mother.

Shallowness, no matter whose DNA is involved, is not where I live, or what I willingly subject myself to anymore. Fuck him, for now, and maybe for good, unless he undergoes some serious accelerated learning experiences and learns some humility and the ability to separate what matters more and what matters less. And he and I were once tight as tight can be. No more. The underneath self of him has shown through, and it's (for now) not a poison I'll dabble in.

I'm on my second marriage (the first one lasted more or less 2 years, during which we were together about half that time, and caustically separated the other half. She was what I refer to as 'a victim for profit' and recovering alcoholic, though she was more than capable of doing some serious damage to my coke stash when I was at work on night shift, and there were serious suspicions about infidelity.

My current wife (of 35 years now) is on her first marriage with me, though there've been some close calls. I don't beat around the bush, and am therefore often very direct, and when irresponsibility and/or adolescent immaturity take control when one is supposed to be in a position of control as a parent, I don't hold my tongue well. If at all. And there was a fair bit of that when we were raising our kids.

I came out of a radical and often wayward youth of violence, activism, clandestine life, etc., often finding solace in being alone, in the woods, or wherever, and was on the road at age 13 for the first time. She (my wife of 35-years) came out of a family that on the surface looked quite normal, but where veneered and superficial relationships were the norm in her family, with very little deep, raw, honest, heart-to-heart communication, etc., and fucked up priorities or realizations re. dynamics, patterns, etc.. Pretend everything's OK, skewed priorities, and more.

So, the first period of many years of our life was dancing around mediocrity with communication of real depth being largely one-sided, and there being a past exemplifying a lot of undermining with our kids via adolescent-minded parenting, which, as a clinician, I foretold and forewarned where the dynamics that were in play would lead to, especially with our daughter, if things didn't change; and they did. So that meant a LOT of bouncing back from things many wouldn't have clung to, but my PTSD with death and loss at that point, and belief in family, left me clinging on to something that at times should've been allowed to die...

We've come a long, sometimes painful distance, both of us have suffered some skinned knees getting to here, and there've been some meaningful realizations as a result. however, long-term ways of being are often slow to increase the conscious awareness and functionally permit self-redirection in time when long engrained habits can pop their ugly little heads up again on occasion.

But we're as solid as any can be in this culture now. Tempered by fire.

She's stood by me, however in the background, when I did high-profile politics and compensated for my blacklisting in my career with decades of commercial horticulture, saving our home via those means.

These days, having addressed many things that were very difficult for her to internalize over time to the extent of actually addressing them, one of the greater shortcomings in our recreational views of life is her aversion to fishing, and her focus on crafts when some alone time, even just to sit nearby, is her thing.

But she keeps herself in some sort of meditation at times by being handy with all sorts of amazing and helpful things, from carpentry (both finish and framing; I design projects sometimes and she often builds them or helps).. seamstress work and making gear for my solo or other bush adventures with my son(s) or daughter, etc.

It's always been a unique fit, to say the least, but these days especially, it's definitely a 'fit' that has been worked for. :)

And with my OCD, PTSD, directness, past, and confrontational style at times, that's truly saying something.

Edit: The damsel in distress, drawn to the hero rescuer warrior, often fails to realize that the coat of those who've come into such personas through the fire of life, don't often take that coat off when they park at home, as it's by then become who they are, and the keen eyesight that gives them a perceptual edge on living through PTSD's hyper-vigilance, born of sometimes harsh places, doesn't go to sleep... almost never...

And the same assessment ability, or intense inner psychic radar geared toward survival and coming out the other side all of those 'training years', is still alive and awake, even in close quarters.

In that regard, the damsel in distress or mate seeking whatever form of protection, steps back a bit when they realize those protective, insightful qualities that hinged on split-second assessment and direct address, live 24/7 no matter where they are... They almost never come off.

That's the best I can do in describing the meeting place of those roles or dynamics. The things that protect us can also turn the eye of assessment on ourselves... and truth, no matter how brutal, is still truth. And that's the least of it... if we're lucky.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Do chicken balls come from roosters?

No. But . . .

rooster.jpg

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
And randomly . . . I 'met' Jeremy - the keyboardist for Big Head Todd (the vid ^^^) on Pelican Parts Forum in the Off Topics arena - which was quite huge in the early 00s. He had a 72 Porsche 911T - I think. I had an 87 . . . the only used car that I made money on btw. Anyways, I sold him a pair of Focal SM10 Monitors for his recording studio in Boulder. They were good monitors . . . :cool:

buzzmobile

Veteran
Maybe if he has babies, they can travel to space with him?
I took a look at space babies and they seem like a bad idea. They get hungry.
1718277411722.jpeg

They need special handling as they get older.
1718277602369.jpeg

Finally, Space babies are prone to infection. That is a bad space baby situation. See below.
1718277752978.jpeg

No. But . . .
OH! Now that makes things a lot more clear. Rooster balls are not what I thought. It looks like you mixed in a picture of circus chickens on the top right above.
they don't look a bit like Rocky Mountain oysters...
That's what I thought right away. Now I understand what the circus chickens were doing and you misspelled Mountain, @armedoldhippy, but you got Rocky's name right. That's Rocky Mountin' Ethel.

For the record and to settle an age old question:

The rooster came first.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
So I am quite proud of myself.

I have a linden (basswood) tree in my backyard that is slowly dying. A piece of it came down in a storm at the end of winter and it was actually speared into the ground 6 inches - so I know how lethal this thing could be. Lindens are considered a soft hardwood and it overhangs my back fence, so I couldn’t just drop it without serious damage. I thought the whole tree was gone so I got a few quotes before the foliage came in and they ranged up to $6K. Crazy money but I guess wood chippers are expensive. :oops: Once the foliage came in, one 25 foot trunk was obviously gone but the 3 other taller parts still looking great.

So I bought a 12 inch blade for my cordless reciprocating saw and 100 feet of nylon rope. I got the rope around the offending trunk about 15 feet up and securely tied it off to another tree to pull it away from the fence and - standing on a ladder - I went at it with my trusty Ryobi.

This plan actually worked! The dead piece came crashing down – with no damage to the fence and – better yet - no damage to me. So I rate this operation a major success! And the blade cost me $12 and the rope was $10. I know, I know . . . the rest of the tree will have to come down at some future date but it the meantime the squirrels can still enjoy it. :rasta: