What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

1717393032964.png

moose eater

A little over 400-lbs. caught on a commercial long-line rig in SE Alaska. Not the premium eating of a 70-lb. butt, but a HUGE flat-fish.

1717781739723.png

moose eater

>>""This halibut was caught in a salmon seine in the early 1950's in Chignik, AK. It was 11 foot, 3 inches long and Alaska Fish & Game estimated it to weigh near 900 lbs. They didn't have a scale large enough to weigh this fish. It was caught by Emmitt Wood and Simeon Petticoft "after the war". The name of the vessel was "Banshee"""<<
1717781883890.png

The villages of Chignik Lake, Chignik Lagoon, and Chignik Bay were three villages of 29 I served as an Indian Child Welfare and Social Services Coordinator for a Native Org in the 80s. All 3 are located on the eastern side of the Alaska Peninsula, and in my biased opinion, far more beautiful than the wind-blown silty/muddy west side of that same Peninsula, with places like Port Heiden and Egegik, or Pilot Point, where rock-n-roll weather, high winds, and radical seas are far more prevalent. Wind-blown versus rocky and mossy. And the small aircraft rides over the thermals and wind-sheers between the two sides in Spring could make an Agnostic person somewhat religious, at least for the duration of the flight.

Last edited:

moose eater

Today's my wife's and my 35th wedding anniversary, and we don't eat out in restaurants anymore, since COVID. So not for about 4-1/4 years+ now.

But we do get take-out on rare occasion.

So, we're doing something we've not typically done. We're picking a couple items from each of three restaurants, one with Asian cuisine, one with Mediterranean cuisine, and one with Eastern European/Slovakian/Moldavian.

I'll run into town 20-miles for some eye-related business, grab a couple grocery items, and while my wife is making a lower-carb New York-style cheesecake with a ground walnut and butter crust, I'll be expediting my rounds to the 3 restaurants in town, hoping to get all of the food home before the various dishes 'mulch out' from being enclosed in a hot humid container.

I'll likely eat the deep-fried calamari in the car, as otherwise the breading will be too soft and lose its crispy decadent crust.

And we're going to uncork the LAST 750ml bottle of the extremely good homemade chokecherry wine.

Sacrifices must be made.

Last edited:

moose eater

1718142105080.png

>>>""A 12-year-old girl from Fairbanks has quite the fishing tale to tell after her father-daughter trip to Valdez last week.

Summer Ruge and her father, Robert Ruge, were charter fishing in Valdez on May 27 when Summer landed the big one. The 159.4-pound monster halibut was more than twice her size.

“I was telling her to reel up and check her bait because she had missed a couple hits,” Robert told Valdez radio station KVAK. “She started cranking and the rod just went over, and I immediately knew it was a big one. I told her ‘Honey, you’ve got a big fish, can you reel it up?’ and she said, ‘I got it’…and she did.”

Robert, who has been fishing his whole life, said he has never caught a halibut that big himself.

“You’ve always got that good chance [to win] with a fish like that,” Robert told KVAK. “[It’s] 10 times better what that happens to your kid instead of you.”

“I was like ‘holy cow, she’s actually got a big one’,” Robert told the News-Miner. “I was shocked. It took half an hour for her to get it into the boat.”

Summer, a young lady of few words, said she truly does enjoy fishing with her dad. “I like fishing,” she said. “I like catching the fish.”

Theresa, Summer’s mother, said the halibut produced 100 pounds of meat for the family.

While Summer may not win the overall prize for the halibut derby — last year’s winner was over 300 pounds — she still won the $300 week one prize as well as a Valdez Fish Derbies winners jacket.

As of Thursday afternoon, Summer was still first in 2024 Overall Leaders. The current second place Overall Leader is also from Fairbanks — Kathy Young reeled in a 152.8-pounder on May 26. John Brewer of Phoenix, Arizona holds third place in Overall Leaders with a 136.4-pound catch on May 28.

Week Two Leaders include, Natalie Prescaro of North Pole in second place with a 41.2-pound catch on June 4, and Karson Otness of Fairbanks with a 30.4-pound fish halibut on June 4. Week two concludes on June 9 so standings may be subject to change.

Week One Leaders were Ruge in first and Young in second.

The Valdez Halibut Derby runs until September 1. The first place winner will receive a $10,000 prize while second and third place winners will get $3,000 and $1,500 respectively.""<<<

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I keep losing this thread and yet I keep wanting to post in it. Should we ask the all powerful one to move this thread into the Toker's Den niche so it can be liked (the General Discussions niche is the dead zone - no likes allowed) . . . and so it can be found a bit easier . . . ?

Inquiring minds would like to know. :rasta:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
We're picking a couple items from each of three restaurants,

That's great moose. We are not restaurant fans either. Or maybe actually I am not due to travel abuse and my spouse is not due to the danger of it for the immunocompromised . . .

Anyways, every once in a while, I will make an elaborate fried rice - jasmine rice with some leftover meat, fried egg, peppers etc and then I will pick up a $15 order of chicken balls from a local Chinese restaurant that has truly crappy food - except for the chicken balls. Everybody like chicken balls - even our cat goes nuts for them - really!

moose eater

I keep losing this thread and yet I keep wanting to post in it. Should we ask the all powerful one to move this thread into the Toker's Den niche so it can be liked (the General Discussions niche is the dead zone - no likes allowed) . . . and so it can be found a bit easier . . . ?

Yeah, it's not really a game thread, per se', so mis-filed in general.

moose eater

That's great moose. We are not restaurant fans either. Or maybe actually I am not due to travel abuse and my spouse is not due to the danger of it for the immunocompromised . . .

Anyways, every once in a while, I will make an elaborate fried rice - jasmine rice with some leftover meat, fried egg, peppers etc and then I will pick up a $15 order of chicken balls from a local Chinese restaurant that has truly crappy food - except for the chicken balls. Everybody like chicken balls - even our cat goes nuts for them - really!
Thank you, tbd.

We ended up doing 2 restaurants instead of 3. One Mediterranean and one Korean place.

My wife went to school (university) for a while in Korea, and she wanted bulgogi if I was going there for deep-fried calamari.

The restaurant in reference is one of the better Korean places in town, and my son, who delivers food for a living, says that their bulgogi "is the best smelling food I've had in my car."

The calamari, while a bit over-priced, imo, was awesome. Crispy, with what appeared to be a panko coconut breading that was not too thick, and little obvious grease inside or out on them. A dipping sauce that was a bit spicy and on the pale side in re. to color. Exceptional.

The Mediterranean place, however, in re. to bang for buck, was awesome; triple skewers of cooked meats (fillet mignon, curried chicken and a mixture in a loose sausage made of beef and lamb) with roasted onions and tomatoes on a platter with fries (instead of rice) and a small Mediterranean side salad with lots of cucumbers in it and a white sauce that wasn't tzatziki.

Against my current prejudices, we also ordered a 'Jerusalem salad'' also with LOTS of cucumbers in it, and a yogurt-based sauce. It was tasty as well.

Also got a 5-piece of dawali that had exceptionally unique flavor and can be used with various sauces they included (garlic, tzatziki and another one).

In addition to this, in celebration mode, and letting the eyes rule over common sense and space in the stomach, I also ordered a gyro with lamb in a pita pocket, stuffed WAY full of lamb and the standard fare present in a gyro. Thei gyros had gone up all of a dollar, to $9.99, with fries and a side salad, but if you can get a somewhat healthy sandwich in town with fries, stuffed with decent lamb, the size that this was, for $10 dollars, to you're doing something right.

Sort of a Thanksgiving in mid-June sort of ending. way too full. Gluttony for sure.

The chokecherry wine needed to breath for a moment, but is very tasty.

There's a homemade cheesecake in the oven now, but that may or may not need to wait for tomorrow. For that, there's high bush blueberries in the freezer.

This week might be tough to survive without looking a lot like a bowling ball by Friday..

I suspect we're looking at another half-day of food or so.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I also ordered a gyro with lamb in a pita pocket

Gyros? They are one of my favourite fast foods. Boxed gyro meat - but beef only - is available in the supermarket so I make my own all of the time. Mine are good, but not as good as a lamb gyro from a real Greek place . . . Ten years ago, we took a vacation in Greece and as usual, before we went, I did some research and found what was reputed to be one of the best gyros places on the planet. It was Lucky's Souvlakis in Fira - on the main drag just down the street from the Akrotiri museum on the island of Santorini. While I can't really qualify how good they were, we did make the effort to go for lunch twice . . . of course there was a lot of souvenir shopping nearby so my wife was happy. Unfortunately, the hordes of cruise ship passengers make a visit to Fira very, very painful but Lucky's and the museum make up for that and neither place seemed to appeal to them.

luckys.jpg

Me with Lucky. My hair is on end because it was about 1000 degrees that day and we had trekked over from Imerovigli . . . and I'm a slob. :rolleyes:

Gry

Veteran

Frequently have that issue myself. Would suggest bookmarking it, but I can't get those to work anymore
either.

Dime

Today's my wife's and my 35th wedding anniversary, and we don't eat out in restaurants anymore, since COVID. So not for about 4-1/4 years+ now.

But we do get take-out on rare occasion.

So, we're doing something we've not typically done. We're picking a couple items from each of three restaurants, one with Asian cuisine, one with Mediterranean cuisine, and one with Eastern European/Slovakian/Moldavian.

I'll run into town 20-miles for some eye-related business, grab a couple grocery items, and while my wife is making a lower-carb New York-style cheesecake with a ground walnut and butter crust, I'll be expediting my rounds to the 3 restaurants in town, hoping to get all of the food home before the various dishes 'mulch out' from being enclosed in a hot humid container.

I'll likely eat the deep-fried calamari in the car, as otherwise the breading will be too soft and lose its crispy decadent crust.

And we're going to uncork the LAST 750ml bottle of the extremely good homemade chokecherry wine.

Sacrifices must be made.
Congrats.here's to 35 more.

moose eater

Gyros? They are one of my favourite fast foods. Boxed gyro meat - but beef only - is available in the supermarket so I make my own all of the time. Mine are good, but not as good as a lamb gyro from a real Greek place . . . Ten years ago, we took a vacation in Greece and as usual, before we went, I did some research and found what was reputed to be one of the best gyros places on the planet. It was Lucky's Souvlakis in Fira - on the main drag just down the street from the Akrotiri museum on the island of Santorini. While I can't really qualify how good they were, we did make the effort to go for lunch twice . . . of course there was a lot of souvenir shopping nearby so my wife was happy. Unfortunately, the hordes of cruise ship passengers make a visit to Fira very, very painful but Lucky's and the museum make up for that and neither place seemed to appeal to them.

View attachment 19016477

Me with Lucky. My hair is on end because it was about 1000 degrees that day and we had trekked over from Imerovigli . . . and I'm a slob. :rolleyes:
Gyros or a really good meatball sandwich on a garlic-toasted hoagie roll.

Addictions from the 70s and 80s.

When we used to take in a concert in Kalamazoo, on our way back north, -way- out on South Division, WAY south of downtown Grand Rapids, we'd stop at a place called Leonardo's, a little hole-in-the-wall brick Italian place, and order meatball sandwiches all around for about $2.50/each, with gobs of mozzarella on them, and marinara sauce, with the exceptional homemade toasted seasoned hoagie roll that was chewy but crispy, like a giant baguette, but large.

A perfect ending to almost any good concert, on the way home.

Reactions: Gry

Latest posts

Latest posts