What's new

Topping vs Training poll

How many of you top and how many of you train your plants?

• Total voters

CharlesU Farley

I encourage them to grow how I want them to grow and they usually do.

Most assuredly, I do it without topping, without any lst, restraints, bondage/discipline... or spankies. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I don't believe in abusing a cannabis plant just to get it to grow a certain way or to produce more buds. Those aren't the type of buds I want to consume.

I could throw up a bunch of bud shots/plant shots to illustrate my point, but I've got a thread about it.

greyfader

How many of you top and how many of you train your plants?​

hey, buddy! you left out the 4th option, which is both. i use both plus careful defoliation to shape my plants.

indoors we have to control and redirect growth for yield.

this is strain-dependent, of course. but I find most high-yielding indoor hybrids require a combination of these techniques.

Boob McNoob

Top once and train until my fingers go numb.
20240323_011908.jpg

CharlesU Farley

That is truth if you want to see the real plant

inside I would do them like this under a 400 watt HID

View attachment 18979488

View attachment 18979489

View attachment 18979490

3 - 400 watt lights in a 4 foot x 8 foot box from 2001 Over Grow

outside I just let them go

View attachment 18979496

grow well and stay safe

S_M
When I saw that first pic, I thought it was from UB, kinda looks like his avatar. I know he was a pioneer for topping at the fourth node I think, even back in the day.

I obviously took a different approach. ;)

Wish I had pics of the first couple of grows of Sensi's NL from 2000. Six plants, in 2 x 5 closet, lit by 1 kW MH, with someone who already had 15 years of lst and growing sativa experience in there .

They were magnificent, uniform and put Sensi's JH to shame, in the exact same environment, by the exact same grower. o_O

But I _did_ tie them down, do really heavy LST/bondage, and supercroppng... but no spankies. :ROFLMAO:

"... in the end it is what works for you in your space"

Respect.

You understand, unlike most others, when I post threads in like this. It's not either/or, confrontational/do what I do, and it's definitely not the _best_ way or method to do anything. I don't want anybody to do anything like I do, because they can't.

I learn more from people I disagree with, who are not disagreeable, than I do from any other method.

I'm learning from you, thanks.(y)

Last edited:

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
I thought it was from UB
back in 2001 on OG Uncle Ben and Butcher Bob would hammer at me about the abuse I will give a

plant inside :)

but when a plant is growing peak it is hard to slow them down even by hacking at them

Love your work my friend

all the best and grow well

S_M

CharlesU Farley

Not the best pic, because I was taking it to illustrate I use fans in the undercarriage of the canopy.

branch_fans (1).jpg

In this video, which I did to illustrate more the air velocity I use than the actual structure or training of the plant, which is most important to me.

Sorry ya got to go to YouTube to view it, I age restrict everything cannabis related to 18+ years.

greyfader

When I saw that first pic, I thought it was from UB, kinda looks like his avatar. I know he was a pioneer for topping at the fourth node I think, even back in the day.

I obviously took a different approach. ;)

Wish I had pics of the first couple of grows of Sensi's NL from 2000. Six plants, in 2 x 5 closet, lit by 1 kW MH, with someone who already had 15 years of lst and growing sativa experience in there .

They were magnificent, uniform and put Sensi's JH to shame, in the exact same environment, by the exact same grower. o_O

But I _did_ tie them down, do really heavy LST/bondage, and supercroppng... but no spankies. :ROFLMAO:

"... in the end it is what works for you in your space"

Respect.

You understand, unlike most others, when I post threads in like this. It's not either/or, confrontational/do what I do, and it's definitely not the _best_ way or method to do anything. I don't want anybody to do anything like I do, because they can't.

I learn more from people I disagree with, who are not disagreeable, than I do from any other method.

I'm learning from you, thanks.(y)
what's this? Being nice on the internet? whoever heard of such a thing?

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
I'm pretty sure most people I respond to here on ICM wouldn't consider me nice. :)
I am pretty sure in my real life folks think I am an asshole as I do not sugar coat things

S_M is an experienced grower and obviously grows some outstanding cannabis, so he's earned my respect, even though we develop cannabis differently.
I have grown a plant or two I started in the Greenhouse Industry back in 1981 growing bench

crops

my early work on my plants is about the same thing that is done to field mums when you grow them

I have found it is all about what works for your style of growing in your setup, for me it was the learning

curve of growing under lights but not in a greenhouse

but a grower at Cannabis Culture Old But Still Stoned gave me lots of pointer and then told me to move

to Over Grow as it was a better fit for me

even though we develop cannabis differently.
many way to skin this cat my friend just need to find your way and your work is outstanding

I find new growers make growing hard

all the best and be safe

S_M

Latest posts

Latest posts