What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

Gry

Veteran
Great book that needs more readers.

He covers a good deal that others have not.

A sliver of useless agency trivia:

Were one to look at the agency parking lot in the past,
one would have noticed only German cars in one area.
The reason behind that being, that without exception
the hierarchy ordered their personal vehicles from Germany.

Gry

Veteran
Watermelon is the largest acreage vegetable crop grown in South Carolina. Watermelon is produced in all 46 counties, with the bulk of the crop coming from the Central Savannah River Area. The 7,900 acres of watermelon in 2014 make South Carolina the fifth largest watermelon-producing state in the country. Part of the success of the SC watermelon industry is due to the partnerships between growers and researchers at Coastal REC. Current watermelon research focuses on seedless transplant production, grafting, and sustainable disease management.
https://www.clemson.edu/cafls/resear...atermelon.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most commercial production is limited to the South and Southwest. Florida has historically been the top producer of watermelons and accounted for 19 percent of the 3.9 billion pounds of U.S. watermelon production in 2012. Florida and three other States—Georgia, California, and Texas—accounted for two-thirds of U.S. output in 2012.

https://www.farm-equipment.com/artic...lon-production

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watermelons have long been America’s favorite melon. As U.S. consumption has steadily increased over time, imports have also increased to fulfill year-round consumer demand. On average 5.1 billion pounds were consumed in 2019, a 4-percent increase from 2010, but a 5-percent decline from 2016 when consumption reached its highest level in over a decade. Watermelon produced domestically remains the main source of consumption in the United States, with production reaching 3.9 billion pounds in 2016, yet decreasing on average since 2010. Nearly 80 percent of all U.S. watermelon production hails from four States—Florida, Georgia, Texas and California. Florida surpasses all other States as the main supplier of U.S. watermelons, accounting for total production of 907 million pounds, or 25 percent of domestic supplies in 2019. Seedless varieties have become increasingly popular, and Florida’s seedless shipments from January to May 2019 rose nearly 20 percent compared to the same time period the previous year. While total domestic production of watermelon has not risen, U.S. imports have. In 2019, imports reached a record high level of 1.7 billion pounds, making up roughly a third of all watermelons consumed. Mexico supplies on average 80 percent of U.S. watermelon imports annually, including higher shipments during the United States’ off-season in early spring. This chart is based on the Economic Research Service’s Fruit and Tree Nuts Outlook from March 2020.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...?chartId=98750

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beside this, Where do the best watermelons come from?
Florida

Likewise, What state is the largest producer of watermelon?
Florida
Also, Who is the largest producer of watermelon?
China
Where do watermelons grow best in the United States?
While watermelons are grown across the U.S., most production occurs in the top four states (Texas, Florida, Georgia and California), producing approximately 69 percent of all grown in the U.S. The average watermelon yield per acre in the U.S in 2014 was 31,800 pounds.
https://popularask.net/where-is-the-...-of-the-world/

An odd personal observation, the last article I cited , was from Georgia.

moose eater

Watermelon is the largest acreage vegetable crop grown in South Carolina. Watermelon is produced in all 46 counties, with the bulk of the crop coming from the Central Savannah River Area. The 7,900 acres of watermelon in 2014 make South Carolina the fifth largest watermelon-producing state in the country. Part of the success of the SC watermelon industry is due to the partnerships between growers and researchers at Coastal REC. Current watermelon research focuses on seedless transplant production, grafting, and sustainable disease management.
https://www.clemson.edu/cafls/resear...atermelon.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most commercial production is limited to the South and Southwest. Florida has historically been the top producer of watermelons and accounted for 19 percent of the 3.9 billion pounds of U.S. watermelon production in 2012. Florida and three other States—Georgia, California, and Texas—accounted for two-thirds of U.S. output in 2012.

https://www.farm-equipment.com/artic...lon-production

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watermelons have long been America’s favorite melon. As U.S. consumption has steadily increased over time, imports have also increased to fulfill year-round consumer demand. On average 5.1 billion pounds were consumed in 2019, a 4-percent increase from 2010, but a 5-percent decline from 2016 when consumption reached its highest level in over a decade. Watermelon produced domestically remains the main source of consumption in the United States, with production reaching 3.9 billion pounds in 2016, yet decreasing on average since 2010. Nearly 80 percent of all U.S. watermelon production hails from four States—Florida, Georgia, Texas and California. Florida surpasses all other States as the main supplier of U.S. watermelons, accounting for total production of 907 million pounds, or 25 percent of domestic supplies in 2019. Seedless varieties have become increasingly popular, and Florida’s seedless shipments from January to May 2019 rose nearly 20 percent compared to the same time period the previous year. While total domestic production of watermelon has not risen, U.S. imports have. In 2019, imports reached a record high level of 1.7 billion pounds, making up roughly a third of all watermelons consumed. Mexico supplies on average 80 percent of U.S. watermelon imports annually, including higher shipments during the United States’ off-season in early spring. This chart is based on the Economic Research Service’s Fruit and Tree Nuts Outlook from March 2020.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...?chartId=98750

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Florida

Florida
China
While watermelons are grown across the U.S., most production occurs in the top four states (Texas, Florida, Georgia and California), producing approximately 69 percent of all grown in the U.S. The average watermelon yield per acre in the U.S in 2014 was 31,800 pounds.

I'm admittedly a watermelon addict. That said, it amazes me that we can receive an AWESOME (as often as not) 20-25 lb. seedless melon in Alaska, from the extreme SW US (typically Mexico, California, or Arizona, though sometimes Oregon and/or Washington) for all of $7.99 to $9.99; cost per lb. when considering fertilizer and shipping, is akin to the fact that we still get Central American bananas in Alaska for .79 cents to .99 cents/lb.

Several someones are not getting very much money for their efforts.... not that I'm looking to 'up' the cost of my melon addiction.... which features prominently in my anti-cancer bitter melon smoothies... along with organic blueberries.

Gry

Veteran
Usually pay 1.99 for the small ones. Been years since I have bought regular type.
Have to say that they have changed over the years.
When I was young, they were pretty, but they were not like what we get today.
The melons we get now, are consistently excellent, the quality of them amazes me.
My regular old grocery store now has half a dozen types of them, and they are all good.
What amazes me is how much sweeter they seem now than they used to be, they are very
uniform and consistent.

Hempy McNoodle

Usually pay 1.99 for the small ones. Been years since I have bought regular type.
The melons we get now, are consistently excellent, the quality of them amazes me.
My regular old grocery store now has half a dozen types of them, and they are all good.
What amazes me is how much sweeter they seem now than they used to be, they are very
uniform and consistent.

They haven't gotten any sweeter. You've just become more bitter! (haha, just kidding Gry :biggrin:)

buzzmobile

Veteran
Florida

Florida
China

For the past several years I have been buying watermelons from Farmer John's trailer/truck. He grows seeded deep red sweet watermelons that are the best I have ever eaten. His farm is several counties west of us and I look forward to seeing him in the parking lot. The season ended a few weeks ago.

moose eater

uniform and consistent.

I've noted some variance in the quality; likely based on fertilizing, weather and hybrid, the melons are sometimes sweeter than others, but I also look for a combination of flavor (full and rich) as well as sweet.

In a subjective 'test' we've compared the early melons in the Spring (mostly from Mexico) with the US-grown melons, and the Mexican melons -this year- had better flavor and were more sweet than the earlier US-grown melons, at least early on. This year we saw fewer marginal or shitty melons, though sometimes we see melons that were harvested too early, presumably in anticipation of the long haul northward. They tend top have a more uneven rind, and the crispness or 'ripeness' of the melon varies considerably sometimes, within the same melon; one area of the melon being perfect, another being over-ripe, and another being way too unripe.

Wondered about source and cost of fertilizer in Mexico, versus the SW US? Water access is, of course, an issue as well.

Most of what we consume here comes from Costco, and their buyers (at least for fruit) tend to do a very good job most of the time, selecting which crop, farmer, etc. Costco seems to keep watermelons in stock up here, right on through November to January, depending on the year and the weather..

I took a large seedless melon from the West Coast over to Aishihik Lake for the informal get-together there, and not only was it huge and round, with darker skin and ruby red flesh, but the flavor was perfect.

When my greenhouse is more finished than currently, I have some Blacktail Mountain hybrid melon seeds I've tried in open beds that didn't do too well here, but which might do much better in the controlled environment of a hot-house. Trellises and small shelving for the fruits, on the North wall in particular, can help to save bed space in a greenhouse, as we did years ago for cantaloupe.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
OPERATION KEELHAUL -

''Operation Keelhaul was the code-name given to the forced "repatriation" of millions of Soviet and non-Soviet citizens to the USSR between the years 1944 and 1947 (if not beyond). At least three major Western powers were responsible for this crime against humanity - Britain, the United States, and France - with others (Canada?) potentially also taking part. This is the first video in a multi-part series where we'll be diving into the details of what happened, and trying to figure out the motivations behind the various actors. Today, we'll look at who the people were that didn't want to go back to the Soviet Union, why they didn't want to go back, why the Soviet Union wanted them back, and what the Allies did to send them back. To the YouTube censors: I'm NOT a Nazi, nor a Fascist, nor a Marxist, nor do I believe in any other evil totalitarian ideology. The purpose of this video is to study history so that we can avoid repeating the same mistakes in the future. If we deny history, it will repeat.''

Operation Keelhaul (1) The Allied crime against humanity WW2 - YouTube

Gry

Veteran
OPERATION KEELHAUL -

''Operation Keelhaul was the code-name given to the forced "repatriation" of millions of Soviet and non-Soviet citizens to the USSR between the years 1944 and 1947 (if not beyond). At least three major Western powers were responsible for this crime against humanity - Britain, the United States, and France - with others (Canada?) potentially also taking part. This is the first video in a multi-part series where we'll be diving into the details of what happened, and trying to figure out the motivations behind the various actors. Today, we'll look at who the people were that didn't want to go back to the Soviet Union, why they didn't want to go back, why the Soviet Union wanted them back, and what the Allies did to send them back. To the YouTube censors: I'm NOT a Nazi, nor a Fascist, nor a Marxist, nor do I believe in any other evil totalitarian ideology. The purpose of this video is to study history so that we can avoid repeating the same mistakes in the future. If we deny history, it will repeat.''

Operation Keelhaul (1) The Allied crime against humanity WW2 - YouTube

Thank you for this content. Going into the second world war Russia was our most staunch ally.
Principals from every military force I have ever spoke with said they preformed magnificently.
In spite of that, they were treated less and less decently, until by the end of the war, we
had come to treat our former ally as if they were the enemy, as we embraced those we had
gone to war against.

The United States went into the war as one country,
and came out of it as another.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Thank you for this content. Going into the second world war Russia was our most staunch ally.
Principals from every military force I have ever spoke with said they preformed magnificently.
In spite of that, they were treated less and less decently, until by the end of the war, we
had come to treat our former ally as if they were the enemy, as we embraced those we had
gone to war against.

The United States went into the war as one country,
and came out of it as another.

"the enemy of our enemy is our friend". when "our enemy" was nearing defeat, his "enemy" was no longer needed as a friend. they were a useful tool which had outlived its usefulness. Russia signed a treaty with Hitler, you know. Hitler broke it, or they would still have been in control of continental Europe (Greater Germany?) to this day in many historians opinions...unless we used nuclear weapons on Europe like we did Japan.

Gry

Veteran
"the enemy of our enemy is our friend". when "our enemy" was nearing defeat, his "enemy" was no longer needed as a friend. they were a useful tool which had outlived its usefulness. Russia signed a treaty with Hitler, you know. Hitler broke it, or they would still have been in control of continental Europe (Greater Germany?) to this day in many historians opinions...unless we used nuclear weapons on Europe we did Japan.

Thank you. Will note that the UK also signed a similar treaty.
In speaking with various people over the years on the subject, I frequently head Gen Dolittle cited:
“It is now clear that we are facing an implacable enemy whose avowed objective is world domination by whatever means and at whatever cost,” Doolittle wrote. “There are no rules in such a game… If the United States is to survive, long standing concepts of ‘fair play’ must be reconsidered.”[SUP][1]t[/SUP]

Hempy McNoodle

Because it bears repeating:
Huge hack reveals embarrassing details of who’s behind Proud Boys and other far-right websites
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...K_9PgnkHFLw5ASGzUrtvNCgKFA#Echobox=1632251936

Whistleblowing on people who share their unapproved thoughts online?? ..Sounds like fascism to me (especially when you consider how disingenuously they use terms like 'hate groups,' 'neo-nazi groups,' and 'white nationalist groups'...

"Emma Best, co-founder of Distributed Denial of Secrets, a nonprofit whistleblower group, said some researchers call the Epik hack “the Panama Papers of hate groups,” a comparison to the leak of more than 11 million documents that exposed a rogue offshore finance industry. And, like the Panama Papers, scouring the files is labor intensive, with payoffs that could be months away.
“A lot of research begins with naming names,” Best said. “There’s a lot of optimism and feeling of being overwhelmed, and people knowing they’re in for the long haul with some of this data.”"

audiohi

Veteran
Whistleblowing on people who share their unapproved thoughts online?? ..Sounds like fascism to me (especially when you consider how disingenuously they use terms like 'hate groups,' 'neo-nazi groups,' and 'white nationalist groups'...

"Emma Best, co-founder of Distributed Denial of Secrets, a nonprofit whistleblower group, said some researchers call the Epik hack “the Panama Papers of hate groups,” a comparison to the leak of more than 11 million documents that exposed a rogue offshore finance industry. And, like the Panama Papers, scouring the files is labor intensive, with payoffs that could be months away.
“A lot of research begins with naming names,” Best said. “There’s a lot of optimism and feeling of being overwhelmed, and people knowing they’re in for the long haul with some of this data.”"

Specifically, whistleblowing on people who are doxxing and harassing journalists.

The rest is just the icing on the disinformation cake.

Cannavore

Veteran
Capitalism is not the problem, our politicians are.

it is indeed the problem. like most righties i've ever spoken to, you're looking at the symptom (corrupt politicians) instead of the cause (capitalism). capitalists own our government and politicians. that's why this country functions as an oligarchy and not a democracy. nearly every problem we face as americans and as a species goes back to our economic system.

Latest posts

Latest posts