What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Andy RIP told me you could still find the old school quality Thai there, but most of it was imported rubbish, and then you had a lot of the faster Dutch types also being grown.

I think the real damage to cannabis in Thailand came from imported genetics from people like KD who thought it was a good idea to cross things like feminised Super Lemon Haze from Aryan into the remaining Thai lines that he then spread those genetics far and wide through Thailand.

The final blow came from the Thai Government and the Thailand Unanimity when they gave out a million clones of high CBD they developed.

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced in a Facebook post on May 7 that he wants to distribute one million cannabis plants with a THC level below 0.2% to households across the country for medical purposes only.

People like CannaT and there are many who have not experienced a good Thai to understand just how good they are and were.

Once the dust settles in Thailand I would love to see good Thai being grown there again but not in the hands of people like Aryan and the rest who are just in it to cash in. I would love to see the villages having control of the old lines, as it's part of their heritage.
honestly , the real damage was from the americans insisting on thais not growing cannabis because it was reaching their shores and they didnt like it,
ie , the war on drugs era ,
prior to that a lot was grown in the north eastern provinces for export ,
then they were pushed out , some stopped , others moved over the border to Laos,

Laos produced a lot of weed , but the quality wasnt near what it had been previously ,
the odd bit wasnt too bad and gave a hint of what once was ,
Andy didnt grow any thai weed btw ,, only early flowering dutch stuff ,
he said that was the only stuff that other westerners who had been there a while wanted to pay good money for ,
they probably all got sick of the laos brick after a while,
the few batches i got of it there wasnt too bad but that wasnt on the island where andy was based ,
the stuff i had with andy was pretty ordinary and expensive for what it was ,
im not sure he was a very big toker based on the visits i had with him ,
i reckon he preferred coke ...

OldCoolSativa

I think the Mr. Asia crime syndicate had a lot to do with the degradation of quality Thai weed. They had a lock on buddhist sticks going into Australia and New Zealand in the mid 1970s. They wanted Moore money so they started importing heroin and stepped up production of weed in Thailand. That’s right around the time the tie sticks disappeared forever. It’s likely that they increased production by introducing hybrids.

Reactions: JKD

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Andy didnt grow any thai weed btw ,, only early flowering dutch stuff
Correct, but he did know what was what regarding the underground Sean regarding cannabis there.

A lot of Thai was bought by middle men from the farmers then taken back to Bangkok where it was graded and then sold for export to the smugglers, the farmers had nothing to do with the smugglers. The middle men arranged delivery to the boats.

I have also read and seen old documentaries where it was said a lot was also grown in the Golden Triangle I think near Burma they were under the protection of the warlords where the opium was also being grown.

Regardless, I know for fact there was still very good old school Thai in Thailand in 1986 that was 2 years after the imported Thai stopped coming to Australia. After Thai imports stopped, any Thai here was grown here by people with the genetics, and they still exist.

Law enforcement was heavy everywhere, including Australia and America take Colombia the DEA with the help of the Colombian military absolutely smashed that country worse than Asia and yet a lot of their lines survived and people still continue to grow them there Thailand should be no different.

Handing out a million specifically breed 0.2 THC High CBD clones to Thais would have done more damage than the DEA could have ever hoped for.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I think the Mr. Asia crime syndicate had a lot to do with the degradation of quality Thai weed. They had a lock on buddhist sticks going into Australia and New Zealand in the mid 1970s. They wanted Moore money so they started importing heroin and stepped up production of weed in Thailand. That’s right around the time the tie sticks disappeared forever. It’s likely that they increased production by introducing hybrids.
it was america that stamped out production of weed in thailand ,
not anyone else , its well documented ocs ...

Reactions: OSS

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I have also read and seen old documentaries where it was said a lot was also grown in the Golden Triangle I think near Burma they were under the protection of the warlords where the opium was also being grown.
find some documentary that coincides with this story ,
i dont really believe they grew weed for export there ,
not when they could be growing poppies that paid a lot better ,

a bit of subsistence, sure , folks like to smoke a bit of weed when they work hard ,
to relax at the end of the day etc ,
but as far as i m aware , most export weed was grown around the laos border in the isaan provinces ...
this is where thai sticks came from ....

Reactions: OSS

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Law enforcement was heavy everywhere, including Australia and America take Colombia the DEA with the help of the Colombian military absolutely smashed that country worse than Asia and yet a lot of their lines survived and people still continue to grow them there Thailand should be no different.
they survive sure ,
are they like they were?
no , they are lacking , you would be lucky to get something like it was in the 70s and 80s ,
the same is true of colombian stuff , go check out funkyhorses thread , he will tell you ,
and the same is true here too , most of the stuff from back then that has been reproduced over and over ,
isnt a shadow of what it was any longer ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
they survive sure ,
are they like they were?
no , they are lacking , you would be lucky to get something like it was in the 70s and 80s ,
the same is true of colombian stuff , go check out funkyhorses thread , he will tell you ,
and the same is true here too , most of the stuff from back then that has been reproduced over and over ,
My self I believe you can still find the old school Thai in Thailand, sure It may be like finding a needle is a haystack for many outsiders and even some locals, but some would still have it and would be growing it. That's why people still come across outstanding examples of it.

I know of people here with very good Thai, they still exist here.

Along with other old school genetics but most don't want a long, long flowering line, it's only the diehards still holding onto to the past.

Many didn't care, they crossed their Thais and other sativa lines with fast Dutch lines decades ago.

It's no different to Haze Wally, few want the 16 to 20 plus weekers they want 12 weeks max and a lot faster.

kro-magnon

Veteran
they survive sure ,
are they like they were?
What has changed in those old landraces in your opinion? Is it their potency or the type of high?
I have started smoking in the 90's so I have no idea how was the cannabis before my time. What I've seen changing is hashish, in my country most of the black market is hashish from Morocco and today it is not the same than the one I knew younger, the commercial lower grade is of better quality than the old soap bars no doubt, but the higher grade can be very disappointing, not because it's not strong but the high is not very enjoyable, too brutal in a way. I felt the same with the strain Chronic, I've never liked its high.

Mimpi Manis

Potency and high both IMHO... and trippy and powerful to boot. I think the modern lines of reasonably good current SE Asian sativa have been bred towards more euphoric effects than trippy. Altho I do find the trippy kicks in a bit more after a decent tolerance break with the right strain. I wonder Wally knows if any of those famous Thai stick strains have local names to reference? Uncle Arkhom's Issan Tong?

kro-magnon

Veteran
Marco is no different, sadly they to have seen their traditional varieties replaced by Dutch hybrids.

I read they grow things from Blueberry to white widow now, a shame really.

I'm aware of the different strains being used to make hash in Morocco today, some can make some excellent hashish but I prefer their old local strains. I have seen a video of a farmer in the Riff who is fighting to keep his old seed line alive and still produce the same hashish his father was doing. Cannabis is grown since a long time in Morocco but the hashish culture is not very old, before they were consuming the cannabis cut in a fine powder they call 'kief' and a sugary paste called majoum (not sure of the correct spelling).
The older hash in Morocco is called Beldia and the ones made with foreign genetics Jardalah (again not sure of the spelling).
The farmers get more Kg of resin from the modern genetics so you can't blame for using them and many people are very happy with this type of products. I would like to find the same resin I could get when I was in my twenties but I don't have the connection to get some real Beldia where I live now, it was easier when I was living closer to Spain.

OSS

to get some real Beldia
Do you look ACE beldia? (or khalifa)
I agree with you, the quality of hashish has deteriorated and the prices have quadrupled...

About Thai, I am agree with @Donald Mallard ,without DEA & "war on drugs" the things could have gone differently(not only in Thailand), but I'm sure that something good has remained, and much respect to those who today try to recover the old traditions...
But we can't criticize young Thais if they want to smoke some Cookies or Che, why shouldn't they?

kro-magnon

Veteran
Do you look ACE beldia? (or khalifa)
I agree with you, the quality of hashish has deteriorated and the prices have quadrupled...

About Thai, I am agree with @Donald Mallard ,without DEA & "war on drugs" the things could have gone differently(not only in Thailand), but I'm sure that something good has remained, and much respect to those who today try to recover the old traditions...
But we can't criticize young Thais if they want to smoke some Cookies or Che, why shouldn't they?
Personally I'm not interested in growing some Beldia, I have not enough space to grow the quantity needed to make hashish with them, I could only grow enough to make 50/100g by harvest, I prefer growing other strains and smoke their flowers. If I could grow outdoor maybe I'd try a few plants to make a 100g slab, it could be fun. The biggest piece of hash I've done so far with only one plant was 25g, I took a Recon clone who had grown outdoor and made around 250g of flowers.Since I've switched to LED the plants make more leaves full of resin in the colder runs, I've made around 8/10g with the trim but it's mixed resin not just one strain;
About hashish quality it's more complex than just deteriorate, there is some very good hashish made today in Morocco but you need to be connected to get it or know how to use the new method of distribution via Telegram or this kind of app. I miss the good old Aya, it was easy to find and a great smoke, this greasy yellow goo was a delight, if gold had a taste when smoked it would the taste of the Aya:smoker:

Last edited:

el mani

Veteran
full

full

full

Maha's thhz hibrids

Salu2

Old Uncle Ben

The older hash in Morocco is called Beldia and the ones made with foreign genetics Jardalah (again not sure of the spelling).
The farmers get more Kg of resin from the modern genetics so you can't blame for using them and many people are very happy with this type of products. I would like to find the same resin I could get when I was in my twenties but I don't have the connection to get some real Beldia where I live now, it was easier when I was living closer to Spain.
Real Seeds Beldia - https://therealseedcompany.com/product/rif-mountain-ketama-heirloom-landrace-cannabis-seeds/

What's your take on that?

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
I don’t have experience with growing Beldia only smoking the hash made with it so I don’t know what to tell you about those seeds. It could be fun to grow if you enough space for an experiment because you need a good sized plot to make enough hash, the return being usually 5/10% depending on the sieving process used. Dry sieving makes around 5/7% of very high quality resin.If the seeds are half-auto as they say in the description the plants must stay quite small so you need to have a good number of them also to produce enough.

JKD

Veteran
I can’t recall the source, but I remember reading in one of the books on the Mr Asia syndicate that they also introduced faster flowering varieties to Thailand to increase the number of crops per year they could harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts