What's new

The Roman Colosseum Was Designed to Distract the Public

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Let's face it, the country was going to shit and the govt needed a way to distract the public from the woes of being mashed into the ground. (like we are today. lol)

Today we have THOUSANDS of them across the planet in every country.

Paint it how you like, but if you identify with the groups which compete you have personal work ahead of you. ;)

Interpret and Discuss...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
football/baseball stadiums and racetracks seem to fit your description well... entertainment/distraction for the masses.

growshopfrank

Veteran
football/baseball stadiums and racetracks seem to fit your description well... entertainment/distraction for the masses.
Totally different creature stadiums and racetracks generally are private enterprise built for profit while coliseums were built and run by the state.
If you look across Europe there are literally hundreds of ruins that were coliseums left from when Rome ruled.
Now nearly everybody rolls around with their own distraction so it is much more efficient for the state or anyone with some resources to disperse their form of propaganda to the masses.
Progress.

Last edited:

growshopfrank

Veteran
Private enterprise quit building stadiums and ballparks in 1950.

The common mans taxes funded the coliseums as well but when you go down to the ballpark the signage isn't hail Rome hail the emperor the signage is for consumer goods and or the sports teams.
For the glory of corporations VS glory of the ruler and state.

Ran a brick and mortar business in a over regulated country for 30 years it taught me how to argue anything forever if need be.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Actually the Colosseum was funded by spoils of war, and it is speculated that they used a lot of slave labour (POWs) for the hard work. While contracted Roman professionals handled the more specialized work. Engineers, painters, decorators, etc etc. And I don´t know where the "country was going to shit" part comes from. When the colosseum was built, it was still some 400 years until the fall of Rome.
Distraction from every day life and bad stuff going on and the government doings? Sure.
But then that´s a helluva distraction when you can see lion fights and gladiators going at it.
Sure beats the NBA or the Super Bowl.. I mean the big game.

Don´t sue me!

One more thing, while on the subject of arenas.

Madison Square Garden in New York, claims to be "The World´s Most Famous Arena", it´s like in their logo and shit, a slogan or whatever. Trademarked and often repeated in hype videos and marketing.
And sure it has hosted many a famous events from boxing to basketball to Stanley Cup finals, and it´s in NYC, one of the biggest and most visited cities on the planet.

But you show a guy from some 3rd world country a picture of MSG, then show him a picture of The Colosseum..

Yep, no marketing or slogans or hype gonna beat over 2000 years of word-of-mouth, blood, sweat and tears!

;)

buzzmobile

Veteran
For the glory of corporations VS glory of the ruler and state.
Neither are deserving of glory and both serve to distract the common man which includes nearly everyone of us. It's getting harder to tell the difference between corporation and state.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Madison Square Garden in New York, claims to be "The World´s Most Famous Arena"
Bristol Motor Speedway up the road here bills itself as "the Last Great Coliseum". i bet it IS the loudest when the NASCAR races run...i went to two races in one day up there...my first and my last. :eek:

Hermanthegerman

Pure Vernunft darf niemals siegen
Veteran
After a ride with a hitler loving indian cabdriver, I fell, stoned, out of the cab before the main entrance of the madison square garden. Two soldiers in their best uniform before the door. A lot of people. The game shall begin in a short time. My wife and I joined the que before a counter. We: two tickets for the national basketball final please. 🙂 The man behind the counter: for which year sir?🤭

Our expierience with the MSG. Of course the tickets were sold out since weeks. Dec. 1991 I think.

growshopfrank

Veteran
After a ride with a hitler loving indian cabdriver, I fell, stoned, out of the cab before the main entrance of the madison square garden. Two soldiers in their best uniform before the door. A lot of people. The game shall begin in a short time. My wife and I joined the que before a counter. We: two tickets for the national basketball final please. 🙂 The man behind the counter: for which year sir?🤭

Our expierience with the MSG. Of course the tickets were sold out since weeks. Dec. 1991 I think.
Damn a hitler loving indian that drives a hack that's almost like winning the lotto.

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
The cabdriver heard our german dialect and began to praise Hitler. I think he didnt know that the hindu swastika has nothing to do with the nazi swastika. India is full of swatikas.

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
Thank you for the flowers armedoldhippiy! :)

29163D9B00000578-0-image-a-75_1432652815709.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts