What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
William and Harley Davidson:

William and Harley Davidson.jpg

jokerman

Premium user

Do Harleys Leak Oil?​

Harleys do not leak engine oil. Early Harleys used an automatic lubrication system that drew oil from the oil pump to lubricate the primary chain. What seems like oil leaking from the motorcycle is actually excess oil dripping off from the primary chaincase.

The oil would drop off from the primary chain into the primary chaincase, which had a drain hole that allowed oil to drop to the floor.

The resulting puddles on the floor lead people to believe that Harleys leak oil.

Do Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Typically Leak Oil?​

As we said earlier, Harley critics describe that oil leaks are not oil leaks in the truest sense.

Do Harleys leave oil puddles on the floor when parked? Yes.

However, these oil puddles are not the result of a systemic defect in the motorcycle design. Rather, they are a by-product of Harley’s automatic lubrication system.

Let’s explain.

Oil & Lubrication Distinction​

Early Harley Big-Twin engines had a separate engine and transmission connected via a primary drive chain.

This chain transferred power from the engine to the transmission. As this chain was prone to overheating, Harley engineers had to devise a way to keep the chain constantly lubricated.

The engineers ran a tube from the oil pump into the back half of the chain cover. This way, oil from the oil pump would drip over the primary drive chain to lubricate it.

The oil that dripped off the chain would collect in the primary chaincase and finally onto the ground; the chaincase had a drain hole. Therefore, the oil puddles are merely the result of Harley’s automatic chain oiling system.

Many Harley critics do not know of the automatic lubrication system. Hence, you’ll hear a lot of jokes about “those big, old, leaky Harleys.” Don’t be surprised. The idea that Harleys are big, noisy, oil-leaking bikes is old, and many now take it as the gospel truth.

Harley-Davidson stopped using automatic chain oilers in 1964, and all lubrication had to be done by hand.
A man was so distraught about his wife he wrote to Ann Landers about it
Dear Ann,
I dont know what to do.
I feel my wife is having a affair.
She is acting strangely .looking all nervous.
The phone rings ,she goes in another room.
Im going crazy ,I ask and she says its work .
She started going out to "meetings " coming home late. I am in such turmoil .
One night I waited up in the garage to catch who was taking her home .
With my heart pounding ,waiting in anticipation ,fearing the results ,when I saw something.
I noticed a little oil leak on my Fatboy and wondering if it's something I can fix or bring it into the dealer.
thank you
Eddie

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
For some odd reason, I’m getting reception on my phone on my back porch, which is something I haven’t had in weeks. I’m pretty much sideline until I get these doctors do her thing. I don’t know which is a bigger pain, but back that doesn’t wanna cooperate or legacy don’t have enough blood of them to walk around. I’m looking forward to both procedures and maybe getting some of my life back as for Harleys, I’ve ridden and owned dozens since 1969 and everyone of them marked their spot except for the first Evo I got back in 73. I bought it Honda KB 750 and tore apart and made it to Yoshimura Honda powered chopper . Nobody in town had a bike that was chromed or had a tank or a 10 inch over front end. After all those years, I never had an accident on the road but dirt bikes damn near killed me. It seems like everything is moving smoothly here and everybody’s doing well… the boys are both hanging in there, such as slowly fading, but he’s still got the spirit and Ivan is just daddy’s boy is my shadow. That’s something I needed at this point in my life.

Unca Walt

420club
please do some research

Big: Like I said: no motocross. <-- and back in The Day they even tried Harley Hummers. The motocross bike you see in your link has the same size tires front and back (designed for track).

It's motor is too low to the ground for anything but track. On any trail bike, the front tire would be thin and big radius, while the back tire would be much smaller, knobby, and fatter. That motocross bike would bog in the simplest long ditch.

Needs a compression release, toothbar, peg chains (for when your gear and brake pedals hit big logs -- the welded chains keep them from getting folded) and higher fenders (mudpackers on the motocross bike).

Oh. Thick chain and 51-tooth rear sprocket.

At the time, HD had nuthin' in this category. They had some watered-down hogs called "Sportsters" <-- But they were, like all Harleys, road only.

Last edited:

Unca Walt

420club
Woke up and was 6 pages behind! Just finished catching up. Already forgot half of what I read.

32f and heavy frost…..still no moisture so I am gonna get some water on the trees….ground is hard as a rock.

No care package yet OleReynard! Still at the distribution in Denver. Should arrive today. The cold shouldn’t bother them.

Chatty bunch. 32F ?? Jeez. My A/C is on as I type. 81F and sunny.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Big: Like I said: no motocross. <-- and back in The Day they even tried Harley Hummers. The motocross bike you see in your link has the same size tires front and back (designed for track).

It's motor is too low to the ground for anything but track. On any trail bike, the front tire would be thin and big radius, while the back tire would be much smaller, knobby, and fatter. That motocross bike would bog in the simplest long ditch.

Needs a compression release, toothbar, peg chains (for when your gear and brake pedals hit big logs -- the welded chains keep them from getting folded) and higher fenders (mudpackers on the motocross bike).

Oh. Thick chain and 51-tooth rear sprocket.

At the time, HD had nuthin' in this category. They had some watered-down hogs called "Sportsters" <-- But they were, like all Harleys, road only.

how about the HD MX-250?

IMG_2894.jpeg

Unca Walt

420club
Last edited:

Unca Walt

420club
Getting there!! Good bones!

A. 250 is the perfect match for screaming revs vs available power. Anything lower or higher doesn't fit.

B. The wheels are good (although 5.5" would dig a tad better than what looks like 5" on it now)
B.1. The wheels have the right spoke layout. Big strength factor -- Excellent plus.

C. Needs a compression release; you not only climb steep hills, you gotta go down steep hills. No compression release = too bad for you with no gyroscopic effect.

D. That most ricky-tick is NOT a 51-tooth sprocket. Best muscle/speed combo for revs/power is 51.

E. Needs pegs welded with stainless chains (or the pegs will be ruined in no time)

F. Needs a tooth bar; you WILL use your face from time to time to stop your head while trail riding. The bar should have a continuous rubber cover.

G. To truly finish it, add a cut up innertube to the front fender to extend the fender's "throw reach" ten inches. You will eat a lot less front wheel mud.

Last edited: