What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
A reasonable question. I got the answer from the horse: Floriduh is a wet state (very high water table). So burying power lines is flat out not a "go".

The homes built after the radical changes made to construction specs are pretty darn tough. As an example:

My house has folding steel shutters good to 250MPH.

The roof is not put on "Main Cabin Masters Style" with a quick dot-dot-dot and done. Down here, there are nails in 2" disks. The disks are about 1" apart in every direction. Thousands of them on my roof.

The concrete block walls are tied by 8' bent rebar to the slab at 2' intervals. The solid concrete block walls are tied with 8' bent rebar to the roof beams. The roof beams are I-beams. Instead of a single nail (GA/TN/ME spec) the risers are affixed to the I-beams by triple steel straps 6" wide.

And so on. Post-Andrew specs are needed -- or you are gambling every year that the 00 will not come up on the Roulette Wheel.
Ah okay, that explains the powerlines at least, I didn't think it was that much of a problem, I guess Florida really is more of a glorified sandbar? No offense meant to your state. As for the other specs I appreciate all the info, I knew that had really beefed up the building codes but I didn't know that much detail.

Do you know of anyone that tried a concrete domed structure (kind of like a mini superdome) I'm just curious how well a whole new design in homes might make a difference. Of course the whole issue of a high water table probably makes that impractical. It just seems like there has to be a way to come up with a radically different design to beat these storms. The only two things I can come up with though is a domed structure or a more underground structure but again with the water table that probably isn't practical and nobody would want to go underground and lose the beautiful ocean views

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Only the government sends electric chainsaws and power tools into a area with no power and calls it aid.
😳
Most electric chainsaws on the market are battery driven and the good ones are pretty powerful. Same with most power tools although I know they send in lots of generators as well so there are still ways to get power to tools. Still I guess a gas powered chainsaw would likely still be better but I don't know of too many gas powered drills or circular saws. I guess they could always go old school with human powered tools?

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Most electric chainsaws on the market are battery driven and the good ones are pretty powerful. Same with most power tools although I know they send in lots of generators as well so there are still ways to get power to tools. Still I guess a gas powered chainsaw would likely still be better but I don't know of too many gas powered drills or circular saws. I guess they could always go old school with human powered tools?
That seems to be pretty out of touch with reality.
Like I said you are on your own.
Better to have and be a good neighbor when the shits hitting the fan.
Lots of people keep a axe in their attic in new orleans after Katrina.