What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
my first job was washing dishes at a high end restaurant , the Oaks of Ojai…$1.25 an hour

but that was like 1968 and weed was $10 bucks a lid

my first minimum wage job was around 1970 at $3.25 an hour

gas was about $.19 cents a gallon

best wages I ever made was working out of the finishers union in Washington

with benefits , over $50 an hour..this was back in 1985 and bringing home a tad over $1000 a week , driving a company truck , I was cutting a fat hog

wife unit did not have to work , kids went to a private school

can’t do that no more

I cannot figure out who is buying all these new houses in Colorado Springs , starting at $399,000.00 dollars!!

100’s of new homes
My first job was working at a Nursing home in the kitchen for around that same $3.35 per hour minimum back in 1973. Then for the next several years worked in a variety of restaurants, pizza joints and fast food places (all for the minimum wage at the time) as a cook. Then somewhere along the way I took a year long technical course and got into repairing computers and electronic cash register that were basically computers of a different sort. That's when I broke out of the hourly minimum wage thing and started getting an annual salary instead.

Yarddog

Don’t judge me. Lots of peeps here still illegal growers. Like myself. My cousins chickens were acting the fool so I eased over to see. He’s had hawk problems. I got over there to see this bird wheeling and diving around the flock, who was huddled under the lean top of the barn. Finally lit on a tree and I blasted it with a .17 HMR rifle. Blew its head clean off at fifty yards or so. Turns out it was a pigeon. So I pulled the breast meat out. Won’t waste it. He shouldn’t have been flying like a hawk. Looked like one of those little hawks we get here. They dive down at .98 Mach and kill a full grown chicken. Eat what they want and then leave the rest.
IMG_1504.jpeg

Unca Walt

420club
Yeah it's a mess and there is no easy fix. There are two problems as I see it, one is the minimum wage crowd was kept at stagnent wage growth for years. Such that when they finally did get an increase they were so out of sync with the cost of living that the only way to make life doable for them was to raise the wage to crazy levels which just keeps the cost of living even higher, after the wage increase.

The other problem is even more complex and started with severe cuts to the education system thereby eliminating classes that taught kids about an alternative way to wealth in the trades rather then a college degree. This left too many people with only enough skills for a minimum wage job and no understanding of what direction to go, other then college to get out of that rut. It used to be that minimum wage jobs were just a starting point for high school aged kids, to give them enough money to save towards college and a little pocket change to have fun with. Now you got people who only have entry level skills and thinking they should be earning a living wage doing jobs meant for kids.
The above is so true. What was taught to me in the 50's (wood shop/metal shop) helped enormously.

Unca Walt

420club
Don’t judge me. Lots of peeps here still illegal growers. Like myself. My cousins chickens were acting the fool so I eased over to see. He’s had hawk problems. I got over there to see this bird wheeling and diving around the flock, who was huddled under the lean top of the barn. Finally lit on a tree and I blasted it with a .17 HMR rifle. Blew its head clean off at fifty yards or so. Turns out it was a pigeon. So I pulled the breast meat out. Won’t waste it. He shouldn’t have been flying like a hawk. Looked like one of those little hawks we get here. They dive down at .98 Mach and kill a full grown chicken. Eat what they want and then leave the rest. View attachment 19078911
excellent shooting. Pigeon is yummy. I like it breaded and fried.

Goldhedge

Indeed!

View attachment 19078884

now my older brother was the one with Hollywood looks

and he was a damn good painter!

he even did some work for Mr Meyer of Metro Goldwyn Meyer
Lookin good!

my first job was washing dishes at a high end restaurant , the Oaks of Ojai…$1.25 an hour
I too was a 'pearl diver' at an upscale joint in FTC. Lawyers and Indian Chief's would dine there....

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Hi Doober.

BASEBALL!!!

I decided to follow the Padres for my team, I like their neon uniforms.
These wildcard games seem like they have the energy cranked up to 11 on a 10 dial man, I've loved watching the highlights. I think some of the games are on out BBC sport channels tonight, but not the Padres so I'll try and watch it on MLB website.
I used to own RedSox hat, I'll dig a piccy out of me in it for you. (about 20 years younger ago!)

Have a good evening dude.
I'm glad you enjoy baseball friend. There is a great documentary by Ken Burns called "Baseball" should you be interested
I believe it's on YouTube.
I'm hoping to get a powder blue Blue Jays Vladimir Guerrero Jr jersey it's $100. He's my favorite baseball player.
Nothing like being at the ballpark.

OleReynard

I say that with love ,My Father was a Plumber and a Electrician who started in the 60s and was grandfathered in license wise.
I learned from him ,school ,and smashing my head into things till I finally get it.
I learned from a New York City plumber that I found working at a Lowes.
He didn't graduate from high school and didn't want to miss with GED.

So he worked fir me on the side rerouting and installing tubs/showers.
Wrecking out old can traps and such

OleReynard

I agree and to be honest when I trimmed a house out I was a surgeon because I was the last one there.
From painters tape on a torpedo level to clean hands.
The rugs guys are tough but its not easy to do .
The shame is no one wants to pay for touch up.
They thinks it happens by its self
Really pisses ya off when the rug guys rub the back of the carpet again your walls rolling it out to install