What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

cola

Good Morning All (OF's):

Wishing each and every one of you, a pleasant morning, wonderful day, and outstanding evening.
I am currently pretty tied up with projects and work, so wanted to start with a daily check in hello.
Today is Saturday and we're upon the weekend & Sunday. Am glad for the two day break. TGFW!!

See you all tomorrow (again)! (y):)

Unca Walt

420club
I have after my knee surgeries, including one with a katana blade inside, that I've since passed on to my son.

I could never find a cane master when I was still doing martial arts, but we did stick fighting (bojutsu) techniques in Aikido. We also practice katas using stick swords (bokken) in Kendo.
Puck, my #2 son (AKA: Todd) Has a black belt in Kendo. The "MAN!" "DOH!" "KOTE!" thing I think is unique in martial arts in that you have to actually call the strike you give your opponent -- or it doesn't count.

The logic of it from a sport POV is perfect. But from a combat POV, it is funny. You cut a guy's guts out, cut his fargin arm off, and give him a split personality on his head, but don't shout anything... and he will still keep coming at you??

Monty Python comes immediately to mind...

Unca Walt

420club
Fencing and martial arts provides more healthy aerobic exercise.
My beloved FIL (died at 93 years) was a fencing champion and a half-century!! ago, he taught me the sabre. Talk about sooper kewl funl

He had these padded suits and helmets, thick gloves... The sabres were heavy wood rods (dunno what) that weighed close to a sabre. Had a typical (metal) hand guard.

My first lesson was so enlightening, that to this day if I see a swordfight in a movie, I begin to analyze it. Here's why:

Bill sez to me: "OK, Walt -- Come take me out. Anything goes -- I am the enemy for real and you need to get past me."

So I went en garde for a second like the movies... realized that did not a fargin thing at all, so I swung at him like a Viking with an axe. Somehow, my sabre got knocked completely out of my hand and across the yard, and I got thumped on the arm (it would been cut off) that had been holding it.

Hm. I learned. VERY slowly. About ten lessons in, he said: "OK, now YOU have to be defensive. Here I come."

Oh, Dear. MUCH harder. There were always parts of me that I left wide open. The one I remember (the funniest) was when I thought I was doing fine. I parried an arm cut, two leg cuts, and was ready...

...And I completely forgot about the top of my head!! BOINK! It was so funny, we both started laughing.

Last edited:

Unca Walt

420club
These are what I call bud maggots. A stunning red they are but destructive little MF's Guess I didn't get enough BT on the plants to stop them. Lost about %10 bud to them. Found most drilling into seed....

Wonder how high their THC level is? Could be a market for them lol.
You made me flash immediately to Cheech Marin gagging, gasping, choking from smoking the big bug that ate his stash!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Puck, my #2 son (AKA: Todd) Has a black belt in Kendo. The "MAN!" "DOH!" "KOTE!" thing I think is unique in martial arts in that you have to actually call the strike you give your opponent -- or it doesn't count.

The logic of it from a sport POV is perfect. But from a combat POV, it is funny. You cut a guy's guts out, cut his fargin arm off, and give him a split personality on his head, but don't shout anything... and he will still keep coming at you??

Monty Python comes immediately to mind...
Not only do you have to call your strike, it has to be clean and bold. If your opponent even does a bad parry that you cut through, it doesn't count.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My beloved FIL (died at 93 years) was a fencing champion and a half-century!! ago, he taught me the sabre. Talk about sooper kewl funl

He had these padded suits and helmets, thick gloves... The sabres were heavy wood rods (dunno what) that weighed close to a sabre. Had a typical (metal) hand guard.

My first lesson was so enlightening, that to this day if I see a swordfight in a movie, I begin to analyze it. Here's why:

Bill sez to me: "OK, Walt -- Come take me out. Anything goes -- I am the enemy for real and you need to get past me."

So I went en garde for a second like the movies... realized that did not a fargin thing at all, so I swung at him like a Viking with an axe. Somehow, my sabre got knocked completely out of my hand and across the yard, and I got thumped on the arm (it would been cut off) that had been holding it.

Hm. I learned. VERY slowly. About ten lessons in, he said: "OK, now YOU have to be defensive. Here I come."

Oh, Dear. MUCH harder. There were always parts of me that I left wide open. The one I remember (the funniest) was when I thought I was doing fine. I parried an arm cut, two leg cuts, and was ready...

...And I completely forgot about the top of my head!! BOINK! It was so funny, we both started laughing.
I learned foil, saber, and epee from Maestro Albert Manley and at my peak represented Oregon, Washington, and Northern California in the AFLA saber nationals.

I was also one of the models in Albert Manley's book, Complete Fencing, but not the one on the cover.

I never got past the rank of Shodan in Kendo, before my Rokudan master, Sensei Osada moved back to Japan.

My oldest grandsons now has all my fencing gear and competes using the German longsword, which I've never tried.

Complete fencing.png

Scan_20240921.png

Osada Sensei JD three other fencers2.jpg

Last edited:

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Never seen those fuckers before.

Miller moths lay eggs which mature to larve that bore into the stems and eat their way to the buds then eat them

Bt sprayed about every 10 days staring when plants are about a foot tall then stop spraying just when the plants begin to flower and that will take care of keeping Miller moths away 99% effective

today is Pex day , so……

Off to the Salt Mines!..

jokerman

Premium user
Miller moths lay eggs which mature to larve that bore into the stems and eat their way to the buds then eat them

Bt sprayed about every 10 days staring when plants are about a foot tall then stop spraying just when the plants begin to flower and that will take care of keeping Miller moths away 99% effective

today is Pex day , so……

Off to the Salt Mines!..
If we were close I would lend you my pex box!