What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Some books I've read recently:

The Martian - Andy Weir - GREAT book, would recommend to just about anyone.

The Perennial Philosophy, Huxley. - Also a great read, but its definitely not a quick/easy read. Learned a lot, brings up a LOT about spirituality and all religions, and how/why religions essentially pervert the sense of spirituality and use that power for their own benefit.

The Accidental Universe - Alan Lightman. Solid read and short book. Very well-written, goes into the multiverse theory and simplifies important/recent scientific breakthroughs.

Green Squall

I just finished "Papillon" today. I don't know why I didn't read it sooner. I thoroughly enjoyed it to say the least. The sequel is definitely on my book list, even though I'm not expecting the same magic from it.

Maybe I should get a giant tiger head tattoo on my chest. What does everyone think?

Green Squall

^^^
i've only seen the movie with steve mcqueen and dustin hoffman and liked it.

I'm planning on streaming the movie sometime soon when I have the time. It's a long movie I think. I totally recommend the book and if you decide to read it, the one translated by Patrick O'Brian is the best. The original is in French.

Goldberry

The Tao of Physics. As someone with a more scientific background, I've been learning a lot from the early sections on eastern mysticism. Digging it so far. :ying:

10238.jpg

Max Headroom

Veteran
Connie Bruck - When Hollywood Had a King: The Reign of Lew Wasserman, Who Leveraged Talent into Power and Influence

very well researched book about the over 5 decades long reign of the most powerful man in hollywood. as with every story about the entertainment industry, organized crime features heavily as does meddling in the political arena.

i enjoyed it.

Sundance

Connie Bruck - When Hollywood Had a King: The Reign of Lew Wasserman, Who Leveraged Talent into Power and Influence

very well researched book about the over 5 decades long reign of the most powerful man in hollywood. as with every story about the entertainment industry, organized crime features heavily as does meddling in the political arena.

i enjoyed it.

Thank you for the review

Sounds like an interesting book - and well worth a read

Connie Bruck is a good writer ... I read her book called " Predators Ball " - about Drexel Burnham Lambert, and Michael Milken

I used to work at Drexel Burnham Lambert in Beverly Hills during the Mike Milken days - and loved it

Mike Milken is one of the greatest minds in finance in the history of mankind - he is a great man, and a hero of mine - for so many reasons ... and a hero to many, many other people too

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I´ve just read "Letzte Briefe Aus Stalingrad"
A collection of letters sent home by Nazi soldiers just before they got totally crushed in Stalingrad.
Very strong stuff that shows how simple we become when confronted with the End Game.

J.V

ICMag Donor
I just finished "Papillon" today. I don't know why I didn't read it sooner. I thoroughly enjoyed it to say the least. The sequel is definitely on my book list, even though I'm not expecting the same magic from it.

Maybe I should get a giant tiger head tattoo on my chest. What does everyone think?

I read Papillion a few years ago.......A great adventure story.
I've seen the film a couple times aswell.....Not as good as the book but a good flick none the less. Definitely gets your attention upfront, when they drag that prisoner to the guilliteen then take off his head...The french didn't mess around......Talk about hardcore.

Last edited:
Dale Pendell, one oh his many. Pharmacopoeia.
Anne and Alexander Shulgin, PIHKAL, signed by loving wife. :)
Wilbur Smith - some of the treasure animal, gemstone hunting slave trading colonial times, and one on da Nile. :)

Otherwise some Clive Cussler for fun, the Oregon files particularly.

...and the books and research papers on all things Cannabis related. Finally might be able to publish some of our own works. Cannabigerol studies. Exciting.:)

CodeGreen99

The Martian by Andy Weir

Supposed to be a thriller. I just started it, but I've heard good things.

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.

Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

Green Squall

I read Papillion a few years ago.......A great adventure story.
I've seen the film a couple times aswell.....Not as good as the book but a good flick none the less. Definitely gets your attention upfront, when they drag that prisoner to the guilliteen then take off his head...The french didn't mess around......Talk about hardcore.

Update: I saw the movie. Thought it was very good and really enjoyed it (especially Dustin Hoffman lol), but it didn't live up too the book. I'm now reading the sequel, "Banco: The Further Adventures Of Papillon". Pretty good so far.

Green Squall

Red Snow by Oliver Lange

"Into the mountains to track the killer lion...
Driven by lust...
Ravaged by hatred...
Their violence explodes."

Last edited:

matt11

Dark mission by Richard Hoagland and mike bara
The art of war by sun Tzu.
Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by roger fisher andb Bruce patton