What's new

The best lights?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I am usually a cash on the barrel, pay and carry guy :wave: :pointlaug
I no longer wish to drive to get lights etc. I was wondering about the cost of shipping and quality of lights to be specific. Is there a build your own place out there in the internet ether? Time is a wastin' I appreciate any and all comments. I always liked sunsystems anything similar for cheaper?

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
"USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN ORDERING FROM ONLINE "HYDROPONIC" EQUIPMENT SUPPLIERS...
THEIR ARE (PROBABLY TRUE) REPORTS CIRCULATING ON THE INTERNET THAT "THE FEDS" ARE USING "U.P.S." SHIPMMENT LISTS TO COMPILE/ ACQIRE INVESTIGATIVE LEADS/ADDRESSES FOR FORWARDING IN "DISK" FORM TO LOCAL DRUG TASK FORCES..."

A little caution is a good thing,
wild eyed paranoia is not. :)

Send an older gramma type with cash to the hydroponic supply and have her act amazed they don't stock tomato and bell pepper plants there.

An obvious outdoor hydroponic vegetable garden can avert much suspicion, many "straight people" garden hydroponically these days...what with the price of good produce skyrocketing in price in recent years, it just makes good economic sense to grow ones own indoors out of season.
Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.

And don't forget to give the neighbors any surplus veggies one may produce from that obvious outdoor garden, it then becomes "who's your buddy" when they see ya driving down the street, "prepare to wave and smile".
Be prepared to provide guidance in setting up the neighborhood with hydro systems if they have any inklings of wanting to be a hydroponic gardener too.
Now who's growing the "wrong" thing" now?, I can't keep track...it's so confusing :)
Turning the world on to homegrown veggies and herbs, it's a good thing.

As far as quality complete systems goes...
I like the Sun System 1, the obvious apparent quality of the equipment is impressive compared to most other brands.
Buy the best quality light system that they can possibly afford.

The lower end chinese ballasts will certainly work for awhile, but don't be suprized when the ballast goes out at the worst possible time, "Murphys Law" is applicable when it comes to grow equipment. If it goes out it wont be at a convenient time, it will be more of a "no,no,no, not now, boy oh boy am I screwed" kinda experience.

As far as components triple M, I can't help ya out with the cheapest or best supplier, I'm a turn-key system kinda feller. I'm sure there are some "Bob the Builder" kinda guys around here that will happily steer ya right way though.

Always use caution and as much "stealth" as possible when ordering mailorder as there is a past history of tracking purchases from hydroponic companies in the U.S...

Some companies will send you out a light system in the pretty light system boxes with the pretty pictures on 'em as so there is no doubt whats in the box.
Companies like Wormsway, I've read, don't rebox in plain brown wrapper before shipping, so watch out for that "stealth" aspect too.

When "doing" mailorder one should probably send cash or money order and
then the use of a truly anonymous, untraceable delivery address/ pick-up method, would probably be considered due diligence in protecting ones ass from possible govermental reprisals.

(one should assume "Big Brother" is probably watching)

See this attached inhouse link to a thread regarding the original "Operation Green Merchant's" back in the 90's...
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=4346&highlight=Green+merchant

Happy growing and good luck with whatever you decide to do Mean Mr. Mustard .

IMB :)

Mean Mr. Mustard
Writer, lead vocal: John Lennon

Mean Mister Mustard sleeps in the park
Shaves in the dark trying to save paper
Sleeps in a hole in the road
Saving up to buy some clothes
Keeps a ten-bob note up his nose
Such a mean old man
Such a mean old man

His sister Pam works in a shop
She never stops, she's a go-getter
Takes him out to look at the queen
Only place that he's ever been
Always shouts out something obscene
Such a dirty old man
Dirty old man

:)

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Thanx so much guys! As an experienced grower and breeder for over a decade, I think IC and especially this organic hydro forum, think that this is one if not the best place online for cannabis info. Lotta good heads here and a special thank you goes out to all you old timers! Texas Kid I'm talking about you too :pointlaug The newcomers are a pain but they gotta start somewhere... :D Be good and I appreciate the advice.

G

Sunlight Supply...

Sunlight Supply...

SunSystem I...Been using these ballasts for years with no problems. More expensive, but this isn't an area to cut costs IMO. I even bought a used ballast that showed up non-functioning. Called the company and they were happy to take a look at it for me. In the end, they replaced the transformer for FREE! How cool is that...I just payed for the shipping and they took care of the rest. Friendly customer service and a great product.

However...I am in the process of trading up now to go Digital and step up to 220V. I am hoping for brighter light and less energy consumption. Anyone using digital ballasts out there? Wouldn't mind some feedback. I have heard they used to be unreliable, but have improved a great deal. The lights I am looking at have a 5 year warranty.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Hey there Dan! I have good friends in springfield :wink: ! Are you referring to Future Bright Lighting? Those boards save tonz of cash but will fritz out on ya, the good part is they will fritz right away and not wait around to fuck with your grow; bad part being the hassle of using the warranty! :D

G

Hey, Mustard...

I saw the Future Bright, but decided to go with the one offered by BGhydro. I've heard they have a bad track record, but have also heard they have improved a lot. Always looking to maximaze light and minimize the elctricity bill.

I have back up lights if it dies on me. It was a $400 light by the time I bought a bulb and socket so it better not! Although, the good thing about this hobby is that it pays for itself!

Here in Springfield, Swank is 10 times more addictive than Marijuana...

issack

Veteran

cooltube lights...... 350 for the balast, light, cooltube. to me it's the best bang for the buck