What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Thai cannabis

rafe

Is anyone growing a pure thai strain?? During the middle 70's there were a lot of Thai stick to be had in AK. The smoke was rich, almost musky but a nice smell. The high was almost too much for some people making them sweat a bit.lol I really miss that smell and taste and would love to grow a Thai strain. If anyone has the gear please let me know where to get the beans. Thanks

Pig Pen

Gypsy Nirvana has some at Seedbay/SeedBoutique but please be aware that is a landarce variety it has not been "worked".

Pig Pen

Be advised that Aces Thai takes a long time to flower, on the order of 16 weeks or so. Gypsy Nirvana's variety since it is unworked will be even longer to flower and has not been adapted to indoor growing so you will have to provide a subtropical environment.

Andyo

Veteran
gypsys variety

gypsys variety

Be advised that Aces Thai takes a long time to flower, on the order of 16 weeks or so. Gypsy Nirvana's variety since it is unworked will be even longer to flower and has not been adapted to indoor growing so you will have to provide a subtropical environment.

Im living in thailand ,gypsys variety took 4 mnts at 8 deg north of the equator
Im 56 yrs old i had original thai stik in uk 1979/81 its as near thesame as i can recall awsome high not stressy or para.Small buds small calyx but given the humidity heat and rain it has to be or it would rot .

height varys from 5ft to 7ft in my situation.

Excellent smoke.A

Pig Pen

Andyo,

Lucky guy! I wished I had the opportunity to run these outdoors in their native environment. Indoors it took 20 weeks to finish in my case. I, too remember the Thai Stick from the early/mid seventies and agree that Gypsies genetics are authentic to the best of my recollection.

JOJO420

Veteran
Tons of Thai varieties over here in Hawaii. They take months to finish, but they can be manipulated with pot size and fertilizer . Look for the ones that finish in 100-110 days, these will be the most efficient ones.Hit me up on PM, i might be able to steer you the right way for this what you want :)

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Ace Purple Haze x Thai F1. Still another week or two to go.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

S

SeaMaiden

Nr8tor, how was that plant grown? From seed, from cut, indoors on manipulated photoperiod, or outdoors on natural (or manipulated)?
Gypsy Nirvana has some at Seedbay/SeedBoutique but please be aware that is a landarce variety it has not been "worked".

Which is what makes it as close to an heirloom cultivar as it can be, except maybe even better. It should breed true every time, at the very least.

I remember Thai stick. It used to be sold as opiated Thai, but that made no sense to me and it sure never had the effects I would have expected from anything containing opium. Often just the opposite. Some of my most paranoid highs have come from Thai stick and some kuh-RAY-zee ass African shit from Ghana. Honestly, the African shit that's out there is literally scary for me, the highs are that strong.

A warning to you, OP, about tropical Sativas, especially the landraces. There are those that can take months, and some I've been told take years to grow out and finish. I've seen pix of Vietnamese Black that was close to 20' tall and last pix I saw it was only just beginning to bud in December, after having been put into the ground the previous MARCH.

If you're in a zone that allows you to grow it outside year-round then you should do well (SoCal, Arizona.. don't know about parts of New Mexico, though, maybe in the south?). They're mold and rot resistant and make the nastiest looking little buds. That's why the Thai was put on a stick in the first place--because the wispy little buds didn't look like anything until you wrapped them onto a stick, looked a lot more like the stuff we'd get coming from south of the border. Red thread, always red thread. And I remember people being all about the red hairs.
Im living in thailand ,gypsys variety took 4 mnts at 8 deg north of the equator
Im 56 yrs old i had original thai stik in uk 1979/81 its as near thesame as i can recall awsome high not stressy or para.Small buds small calyx but given the humidity heat and rain it has to be or it would rot .

height varys from 5ft to 7ft in my situation.

Excellent smoke.A
That sounds like a nicely controlled plant.

If I could make a suggestion,Thai's do take a very long time,however there are a couple of Spanish seed companies that have accomplished a Herculean task by stabilizing their Meao Thai and its derivatives.CBG offers a 12wk Meao Thai crossed with early stable Mexican/Colombian. Destroyer is on my list next to order.From what I have seen this strain expresses strong Thai influences in its effect. It also looks to breed out very well.If one has the patience,room,and time to run a strain two to three weeks longer than Dutch hybrids you would be well rewarded with a unique and rare old school Sativa smoke.Hope this helps my friends.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
Tons of Thai varieties over here in Hawaii. They take months to finish, but they can be manipulated with pot size and fertilizer . Look for the ones that finish in 100-110 days, these will be the most efficient ones.Hit me up on PM, i might be able to steer you the right way for this what you want :)

ok guyz.... let's keep thing ... simple and straight...

TOU # 7 ...

7. Solicitations: Threads or posts soliciting or offering the buying/selling/trading/swapping/testing/giving of seeds, clones, pollen, cannabis, hash, or any other substance or article is not permitted and will be deleted, with the member subjected to banning without warning.

hope this is clear....

Although it seems too impractical to grow inside unless you want to wait half a year from seed to harvest, all for a few wispy buds that most think are "shake", I have fond memories of that stuff I grew like, whoa geez almost 20 years ago it's been that long?! I loved the taste and effect and wish I could get that back again! A few plants in the back of the room twice a year and I'd be good! ;)

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Nr8tor, how was that plant grown? From seed, from cut, indoors on manipulated photoperiod, or outdoors on natural (or manipulated)?

SeaMaiden,

There are two female plants that I grew from seed and they have had quite a journey.

I started them in fall last year indoors and quickly put them out side to go into immediate 12/12. They grew quite a bit and after a couple of months, showed sex and slowly began to flower. They were slowly progressing, but it was now spring and daylight had gone over 12/12 with months away from a finish. I struggled for about a month trying to secure indoor space to finish them and when I finally got them under HPS indoors, they had reverted to veg and the photoperiod caused them to stretch considerably. One plant, more than the other produced a number of spindly branches. I chopped most of those off to focus on the mains. They flowered for 14 weeks indoors and then the spot I was in got a little too sticky for my liking. So, I moved them into the great outdoors where they have been for a little over a week. Even though we are in summer, I didn't think a few more weeks of long days would have a deleterious impact on their finishing. No male parts observed so far, so these are stable crosses given the abuse they've endured. The sunshine seems to be adding some very positive qualities to the finish. I think lower buds are about ready to harvest, while I may let the main upper branches go a bit longer to mature. These are every bit of 18+ week strains. I think more blue light indoors would be beneficial if one were to go that route. In my part of the world and in ideal situation, I would veg until sexually mature, take clones and then force flower indoors for about 4 weeks. Move them outdoors in late September and look to harvest sometime in January. That would give you some world class thai smoke, IMO and a great start to the New Year.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Took some additional pictures today...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

The pictures above are all lower flowering branches on the first Purple Haze x Meao Thai. Now compare these to the tops of the same plant.

picture.php

Still some time left, and given we're in full summer sun, this could be interesting.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Here's a few shots of plant #2. A little less accessible, hence not so many close up shots.

picture.php

Again, a lower more mature branch above. Seems a little behind plant #1

picture.php
picture.php

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I harvested the lower branch used for the macros from plant 1.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

The smell is a strong spice and woody/musky incense. This bud is fully ripe. The tops of these plants may very well go into reveg before they fully ripen. Time will tell.

masamaaso

Veteran
Thats all I grow ,, Thai's,, and not by choice, I live in the South China Sea, the seeds were brought to me by a Thai diesel smuggeler a few years ago.
Took a few grows to learn the ins an outs of um ,,first grow I had 15 footers lookin like x-mas trees,, after a few more grows hand full of mistakes I got it to where the plants are managable in containers and I can most of the time tell which are not worth the time to finish, and ya better have plenty of that, the stories of 18-20-36 weeks to finish are all spot on true,, and thats AFTER they start to flower that dont count seedling, veg time. heres the 2 kinds I like to keep growing year round.
First 2 piks are the light whispy ones they dry to lightly greenish to gold and has that old skool flavor long missed, when I smoked my first harvest of these the taste hit me like a brick,,It was 1975 all over,,at least till i opened my eyes,, the buzz is great extreamly uplifting and mind awakening(no shit) gives a high artists and musicians would love, I smoke it in the mornings and through out the day with out worry of an over dose (A NAP)
The second 2 piks are of a type that drys to a reddish as you can see and much denser not like an indica bud not even close but much more than the other and bigger bud that grow the intire lenght of a branch, this type gives off a lot of bud the flavor is again oldskool, and can be compared to oldskool Panama Red same with the high,, the high is back of the eyeball YER STONED kinda high with a bigtime body melt,,this is my after dinner blend.

Latest posts

Latest posts