What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tetraploid and triploid seeds

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Djonkoman isn't around anymore either.
I've given this my best guess, I can't argue about this, as it's just guesswork. I can't say more than I have already.

mudballs

Ur probably right about the haploid diploid stuff...im thinking ur idea of deliverying the genetic material is maybe not worded in a way i expect to hear it

farmerfischer

How did you identify that the male was a triploid?
I'm not 100% it's a triploid.. ive always called a plant with an extra leaf and flower site a triploid.. I'm not to informed on the scientific stuff about them... i know the basic information...
20240624_131628.jpg
20240624_131653.jpg

Reactions: GMT

goingrey

I'm not 100% it's a triploid.. ive always called a plant with an extra leaf and flower site a triploid.. I'm not to informed on the scientific stuff about them... i know the basic information... View attachment 19022481 View attachment 19022482
Yeah tetraploid diploid is talking about the amount of chromosomes. They are created with a chemical called colchicine.

Three or more shoots from the same node is called a whorl.

mudballs

"When triploid plants try to reproduce with other triploid plants, their offspring will end up with an odd number of chromosomes (3n + 3n = 6n), which is usually not viable for the plant to survive. This results in no viable seeds being produced. Additionally, triploid plants often have difficulties in meiosis, the process of cell division required for sexual reproduction, which further hinders seed production"

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
In theory, a triploid male would produce two types of pollen a) diploid (two DNA samples) and b) haploid (one DNA sample (the normal way)).
A female triploid would do the same with their pollen receptor sites (ovums).
The diploid pollen maybe too large for the female haploid sites, but would pollinate the diploid receptor sites. The haploid pollen would pollinate the haploid receptor sites, and would produce normal diploid seeds. The haploid pollen may, but probably not in most cases, pollinate a few diploid receptor sites, creating more triploid seeds, but greatly reduced in number. The diploid pollen may pollinate the diploid receptors, if the haploid pollen didn't get there first, and create tetraploid seeds.
So in the reduced seed sets, I would hazard a guess, that you would end up with a mix of normal seeds, triploids, and tetraploids.
But that's all guess work and should not be considered gospel.
Wish djonkoman was still around.
Only way to know is to do it. Then test any seeds produced. But people in that position are more likely to produce papers and patent applications that post their results here.

Latest posts

Latest posts