What's new

Tashkurgan grow and smoke report

Based on my experience, purple stems means it is more likely that the flower will also be purple, but I don't think this is always the case.

djav59

My pics arent that good but the size#1 larger, and lack of foliage on the main stem ( note sepal size) what I was trying to point out. Here is #3 in flower and it is same as #2.
Most everything
picture.php
picture.php
here turns purple due to temp gradient.

ngakpa

Veteran
Real afghan is highly susceptible to botrytis here in east coast

A lot of real Hindu Kush landraces are Indica-Sativa hybrids

I'm talking long prior to the Hippie Trail

See herbaria accessions from the 1920s and 1800s

Our 2015 Chitrali accession from Yarkhun took two storms in the Hawaiian jungle -

zero mold

wild-type Sativa (i.e. ssp. indica var. himalayensis) grows up into Chitral to the Kunar River and even north of there
https://landrace.blog/2020/04/14/mcpartland-small-publish-new-cannabis-taxonomy/

musigny23

I tried 4 seeds and got 2 good sprouts that are now healthy seedlings about a foot tall at this point. Little if any difference in their appearance and not showing any sex indications. Will let you know what they do.

ngakpa

Veteran
ok, hope you get something good - fwiw, other feedback I'm getting on Tashkurgan germination is 75% to 100%

musigny23

ok, hope you get something good - fwiw, other feedback I'm getting on Tashkurgan germination is 75% to 100%

Well my sample of 4 is too small to be meaningful I think. No complaints.

This spring I experienced a bit more difficulty than usual with germination. No idea why other than it was rainy and cooler than normal.

djav59

picture.php
ngakpa

As always you are a source of enlightenment thank you for excellent links and up to date information .
Please forgive my speaking off the cuff as I have not formulated a disclaimer for my imagined level of expertise or lack of .
I had planned on last month for my Cannabis CEU's and education, but life doesn't want to stick to my schedule.
I am fascinated by this plant its appearance and odor is unlike most I have encountered before it does exhibit high mite resistance(The one in flower is in with others which have been infested during my unplanned absence ,and show very little, or no infestation.)
picture.php

I see great potential but that's just my opinion .
The thing that caught my eye in the updated literature was this paragraph

John M. McPartland & Ernest Small / PhytoKeys 144: 81–112 (2020)
Debates over taxonomic rank are
notoriously arbitrary. Molecular studies using DNA sequences can make the question
of rank less arbitrary. Mandolino et al. (2002) quantied DNA polymorphisms in ten
drug- and ber-type varieties. ey found more variability between individuals within
a variety than between varieties – data that conrmed “the existence of a single, widely shared gene pool.” In a worldwide collection of Cannabis, Gilmore et al. (2007) found a low rate of sequence variation (approximately 1 polymorphism per 1 kb sequenced cpDNA) – consistent with a single species.

Great literature I haven't had time or mental power to read and absorb all the new info yet but working on it .

So what would be some examples of C. sativa subsp. indica var. asperrima?

djav59

Oh yeah and this line esp.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](John M. McPartland & Ernest Small / PhytoKeys 144: 81–112 (2020)[/FONT]
breeders have haphazardly hybridized Central Asian and South Asian landraces, and largely obliterated their phenotypic dierences.)
I think this best describes today's reality haphazard.

ngakpa

Veteran
hey, thanks, appreciated - I'm really just sharing other people's work though

So what would be some examples of C. sativa subsp. indica var. asperrima?

there won't be anything representative in Western collections, because as soon as anyone gets anything, they just hybridize it

I have wild-growing accessions from northern Afghanistan, but really they were just escapes and volunteers, i.e. domesticates

and the trouble is, hybrid seed is going to start hitting these regions hard in the next few years, as soon as online retail gets going in South and Central Asia

seedbanks will not hesitate to ship there, money always trumps other concerns ("If I don't do it somebody else will" and all the other justifications people will find, in the race to the bottom)

there's a photo of the type specimen for var. asperrima at the blog

djav59, that is promising news on the pests, I have not seen any mites on any of my Tashkurgan either. I have read that the more narrow leaflets are better at resisting pests that consume leaf matter. Broadleaf seems preferable in an environment that is highly controlled (indoor, greenhouse) due to the solar radiation absorption, but I think the Tashkurgan is well suited for outdoor cultivation.

I believe earlier in this thread there were some mold issues on the Tashkurgan in flower, but those environments in the comments seemed to be more humid to what I experience in Northern California (more inland around Mendo Co) or the dry environment that exists in Northern Afghanistan (Tashkurgan/Kholm). My clones are in week 3 of flower and my seedlings are looking good, they are still in veg with very little supplemental light.

djav59

I am 4 in on flower in that last pic I admit I am messing with it a bit to see how it acts indoors.
It do have a stench.

djav59

As far as the broad leaf theory I have noticed them on the Thai plants too ,but it seems as it is maturing its forcing them to leave I hope. I notice eggs being laid on very tips of leafs and pistils. I have never had any problems with mites before until now and its an infestation taking a lot of work to clean them off .

Yeah I don't think the broad leaf theory is that strong, just that there is a more leaf matter to eat, like a buffet. However, I have heard some plants are more resistant or less attractive to mites, which may be because secondary metabolites, waxy coating, etc. I usually use neem oil if it is bad in veg, but at week 4 of flower I would probably use something like Dr Zymes or Plant Therapy for the mites. Regular insecticidal soap is also good.
I'm getting a little bit of the leaf curl on my Tashkurgan clones under a cheap LED, but I'm not getting it on my seedlings outside. The leaf curl is close to the stock/apical meristem. It could be a few a different things, but I suspect it is from not getting enough light. It is as if the leaves have a nitrogen toxicity, as if the nutrients aren't being used because not enough light is penetrating into the plant.

Tash leaf

Tash leaf

My clones just began week 3 of flower to determine geno for pollination of the seedling still in veg.
Here is a pic of a clone with the leaf curl, making that genetic less likely to be selected.

Attachments

• 20200505_072526.jpg
    20200505_072526.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 58
It is very unlikely the leaf curl in the pic above is from wind/fans, there probably should be more air flow and no other genetics in the same area have the leaf curl. Not all the Tashkurgan have the leaf curl that bad, but the clones are starting to stack nice for being under a cheap LED.

picture.php

Tashkurgan in the ground, it is a beautiful plant. The clones I took off this plant are flowering, they have a nice sweet floral aroma, but they aren't getting very big. Clones I cut from a different Tashkurgan are having a larger more resinous yield, so if I pollinate I may have to go to one of the other Tashkurgan's I gave away.

i just found your thread, and have posted a similar question on the Ace forum, but I guess this is the best place for this.

I have a dozen Tashkurghan (Kholm) seeds from Ace (I believe sourced from Afghan Selection), which I am looking at growing to increase my seed in an outdoor grow. I want to keep the plants small, 18-24" high, and am looking to control the height by starting late and growing in containers. The question is how late, and what size containers? To limit being rootbound, I'm thinking 2 gallon size containers and a late start, germinating my seeds in late June, or Early July. Any advice from those of you who've already got these going? My climate is going to be similar to Resinates Well.

One more question, how is the odor on these from a stealth perspective. I may avoid growing these outside if they are going to be noticeable from more than ten feet away.

djav59

Ya Serrated these things have a stench so you may want to find better outdoor spot

Oh so sticky couldn't work phone screen after touching mmm almost done?

djav59

Oh and about size I suspect they will be too big unless you get the shorter pheno out of the tash and even now that its outside it is stretching more pics to follow these things dont follow the past patterns I was used to in old days that's why I love em.

Latest posts

Latest posts