What's new

STUMPED ON WHY 250 WON'T START. ANY ELECTRICIAN TYPE STONERS PLEASE CHIME IN

Hopefull Stoner

Ok folks,

I’ve got. 250mh that will not strike/stay on when plugged directly into 3 prong outlet.
1st why is this and how can it be solved if at all.
experience folks please reply. Last thing I need are guesses that could get me electrocuted or start a fire !

part 2 is the fact that when I use this extension cord it fires right up and keeps working just fine. That rules out a faulty ballast etc Imho.

I need my clones under this 250 ASAP. They are just chilling in the kitchen for now. Grrr

I plan to get an additional extension cord to exchange the one that works with the 250 that is now in use with the tent .

I still need to understand this situation though obviously.
thx for any useful help o. This nagging issue !

immediate adjustment grabbed the extension cord i swore would work. plugged on and it just buzzed only and no strike. which is the 1st., time this has ever occurred using that extension cord and the cord isn't faulty. barely used actually. Yes, already thinking low wattage led for the win but funds are ltd now. push come to shove i could do it but sheesh. HELP and old dude out.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
You have them daft plugs and sockets that still fit if you turn them 180?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I guess along the loose lines, that a new extension is going to to bite a perhaps corroded old plug, better than an old socket. I wonder if another socket or cleaning the plug has been tried.

Swapping L&N shouldn't effect most things. They are two ends of the same wire. I wonder about the igniter though, with it's RF snubbing circuits, likely connected to ground.

Mithridate

Is it a magnetic ballast?
Did you use it previously without problem?
is it new?
Did it come pre wired?
Did you wire it yourself?
is it grounded?
etc

Sounds like its either not grounded or a wire is not connected to the right place

we'll figure it out

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If the wiring is good you probably need a new igniter.

I had a few sunlight 6s go down over time. I found the igniter used was rated for 70cm of cable. For some time they were alright with 4 meter shades, before they couldn't strike a decent lamp, but could still fire the easier sylvanias. The one's gavita users get stuck using, for similar reasons.

Perhaps as the light was out of action, the shades been swapped or the lamps reached a certain age. Highlighting the poor igniter. It does fit the story actually, when you think the strikes charge has less access to the household wiring through an extension cable. Keeping the energy more contained.

Technically it's all about cable capacitance. That's so complicated even the igniter came rated with distance as guidance. Unless the extension lead is a coil, adding to the voltage, if the igniter is the break current type, not superimposed.

I'm sure it's harder than it needs to be.

Hopefull Stoner

used before with no issues. aside form the fact it wouldn't strike/start properly direct to the wall socket. Yet, worked when i used the extension cord. thought that was al it was but didn't work this time at all. I'm going down right now to see if it will start one last time now. btw wall socket is in order and bought 250 new magnetic ballast but hasn't been used extensively so age isn't an issue.

as of now i'm using 2 9w led's and will put the clones under a 600 hps to get them off and running in a few days. will likely buy130 led $179 to take over all veg work until it's bean making time.

TRIED AGAIN AND NADA. Also how could grounding even be an issue for a plug and play light/ballast at all ? i don't get that ?

Last edited: