What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

STS spray in Europe?

Asentrouw

Is STS spray available in the EU?

I'm looking for a while now for this stuff to self a plant, but it seems the only ones available are from North America, for high prices and ridiculous shipping costs.

I also looked into buying the chemicals seperatly, but it seems these are regulated and not freely available here.

If not, are there any reliable alternatives?

I tried both bought (20 ppm) and homemade collodial silver, but this did not work for me.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Is STS spray available in the EU?

I'm looking for a while now for this stuff to self a plant, but it seems the only ones available are from North America, for high prices and ridiculous shipping costs.

I also looked into buying the chemicals seperatly, but it seems these are regulated and not freely available here.

If not, are there any reliable alternatives?

I tried both bought (20 ppm) and homemade collodial silver, but this did not work for me.
If you want the kind you are talking about, you will probably have to pay high prices and ridiculous shipping costs. Maybe someone will show up who knows something.

Asentrouw

Silver nitrate alone is just as effective as when combined with sodium thiosulfate as STS. Silver nitrate is available here without any problems. I am from Europe.

I found it and bought it online by another company.

So appearently its not regulated (as I eventually thought), but the labshop here does not send the silvernitrate by mail. Probably because its corrosive.

However, I found another foreign one that does. So problem solved.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
home made sc should work, what are the specifics of your generator?
i have one with 50-60V and 1mA on the electrodes, switching polarity every minute

Asentrouw

home made sc should work, what are the specifics of your generator?
i have one with 50-60V and 1mA on the electrodes, switching polarity every minute

I used a battery as suggested in another thread on this site. It did something as the water was scattered with silver particels; floating and around the silver node.

But it didn't produce ladyboys, nor did the store bought CS. Maybe to low PPM.

So I thought I'm better off using STS as it's much stronger.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
battery method is worthless tho, you need high V and low A to make it better.
sc must be applied daily(even 2x) with a good wetting agent, try to apply it before switching to flower and use it till you see bananananananaaaas.
also slighty heating the colloid will raise the ppm

Asentrouw

battery method is worthless tho, you need high V and low A to make it better.
sc must be applied daily(even 2x) with a good wetting agent, try to apply it before switching to flower and use it till you see bananananananaaaas.
also slighty heating the colloid will raise the ppm

Too much of a fuss for me.

Also the store bought CS did not do much, but I understand there is a lot of scamming with this stuff and if it gets old it deteriorates.

STS is quite simple to produce and probably more effective. Also costwise there is little difference.

Asentrouw

So the silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate were delivered by mail.

Made the A and B solution and mixed it with distilled water to spray some clones of a really nice NLD "C99 × PCL/Congolese" (Kwikseeds) mother.

I was really suprised about the degree this stuff needs to be diluted. The raw materials are about 50 bucks, but should go a really long way as you use miniscule ammounts. Actually a very cheap alternative for CS.

I understand it needs to be sprayed every 3-5 days from just before flowering.

But when it needs to be stopped? When the first male clusters form or you spray untill just before the flowers hatch and drop pollen?

Popey

Veteran
I don't use STS, only silver nitrate, but my application looks like this: I spray the plant for the first time right after it shows the first signs of female sex, then a second time a few days later and I stop there.

Contrary to appearances, it is not that easy. Using the wrong dose can be co-responsible for, for example, infertile pollen or male flowers without pollen. Different strains of cannabis react differently to the same doses of feminizer.

Asentrouw

I don't use STS, only silver nitrate, but my application looks like this: I spray the plant for the first time right after it shows the first signs of female sex, then a second time a few days later and I stop there.

Contrary to appearances, it is not that easy. Using the wrong dose can be co-responsible for, for example, infertile pollen or male flowers without pollen. Different strains of cannabis react differently to the same doses of feminizer.

How much silvernitrate do you use?

I followed the most common STS recipe as stated on among others on the Khalifa genetics website and here on ICmag.

1 gram silvernitrate is dilluted in 1000 ml distilled water (A) > 4,8 grams thiosulfate in another 1000 ml (B). Part of this is then mixed and diluted 1:3.

On the Khalifa site it says to spray indica's every 5 days and that sativa's may need a spray every three days.

As my clones are NLD I did the latter for two times now. The spray itself doesn't seem to affect the plants yet; no burning, no twisted/damaged leaves and no stunted grow yet.

The solution looks very diluted to me, so I think I'll stick with the above this time. I doubt two sprays with such a dilution should be enough?

Last edited:

PadawanWarrior

No doubt it's not that easy. My first attempt made sacks but no pollen. I'm on my second attempt now but this time I made a stronger solution and sprayed less.

Onboard

So the silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate were delivered by mail.

Made the A and B solution and mixed it with distilled water to spray some clones of a really nice NLD "C99 × PCL/Congolese" (Kwikseeds) mother.

I was really suprised about the degree this stuff needs to be diluted. The raw materials are about 50 bucks, but should go a really long way as you use miniscule ammounts. Actually a very cheap alternative for CS.

I understand it needs to be sprayed every 3-5 days from just before flowering.

But when it needs to be stopped? When the first male clusters form or you spray untill just before the flowers hatch and

I did the same dilution as you, and sprayed "at the night before flower, and then every ten days, for as long as needed" (credit: @Nspecta).

Probably every strain is different, but for the ones I did, I think I only sprayed them twice (i.e. day 0 plus day 10). Anyway I never sprayed them after proper male flowers had been formed.

But if you leave it for too long without spraying, "he" will revert back to female and throw white hairs. But it takes a while, at least a couple of weeks(?) more.
I used this tutorial for the STS preparation (it appears to be the same recipe as yours): https://www.icmag.com/threads/diy-s...ollen-seeds-r-c-clarke-method-as-base.357196/

Last edited:

Asentrouw

Well it seems to be working alright. Hardly any white hairs to be seen anymore, full of balls. Looks actually straight male.

Not sure how much pollen it'll get me or if it will be viable, but atleast I'm seeing instant results this time.

This is the result after 2 weeks of each three days an application of STS.

1000022703.jpg

Asentrouw

The STS did it's job, only sprayed one more time after the balls were well developed. The plant looks fully male. The first ones popped about a week ago.

1000023146.jpg

Asentrouw

The pollen seems viable as the pistills on the female plants start detracting. I'll try to collect some more pollen to dry for later.

The females were darkened 2 weeks later so started flowering later then the reversed males. Next time I'll let them flower together to get more pistills and more seeds. Especially with a long flowering sativa strain like this Congolese cross, where the seeds have more then enough time to mature and ripen.

20240920_092934.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts