What's new

Stealth ideas for those who want to grow but cannot currently!

This will be a thread with all ideas that people may be able to work out for their own stealth operations incase they can't openly grow or don't have anywhere/room they can grow

some obvious methods that have been used commonly on this site:

Stealth Dressers
- I personally used this method if you check my signature. literally a dresser with the drawers glued/screwed/permanently shut and insidespace cleared out for plants. Usually accessed by a back board connected by either velcro or hinges and magnetic latches.
POSITIVES:
-->great space if you have a big dresser
-->you can usually pick up a dresser cheap from a relative/friend or at a garage sale/local ads
-->looks natural and few people will ever try to go in your dressers for any reason, especially if you put it in an uninviting part of your bedroom (or even in a closet or your basement)
NEGATIVES
-->you cannot control the size of the grow
-->takes some time to strip down the dressers insides and paint it and flatten out walls/get a light fixture into the shape of the dresser can be hard

PC Case grow
these are always minimini grows... Maybe for fun?
POSITIVES:
-->very good stealth!!
--> fan noises natural from what looks like a PC
-->maybe you even have an old pc case sitting around for free
NEGATIVES:
--> very tiny grow and harvest
--> very tiny grow and harvest
--> hard to fit lights in and still have room for plants

custom built cab (aka the box)
I see alot of these on here, just prisms
POSITIVES:
--> can be built to any size
--> can be partitioned easily for vege/flower chambers and fan/scrubber chamber
-->anyone with powertools can make one
NEGATIVES:
--> sort of suspicious since it's just a box.
--> naturally lacks and requires another type of camouflage to keep it stealth

grow tent
these are often bought pre-made
POSITIVES
--> most come in diff. size or arrangement of spaces for diff. chambers
--> easily hidden in the back of a closet without suspicion
--> lightweight construction for portability
--> usually pre-mylar or whited walls=no need to paint/put up reflect mat.
NEGATIVES:
--> much more expensive than DIY
--> ?

Bookcase/media shelf cab
this is a cab where you build a bookcase on the front of it (or place for cds/dvds/etc) this is a variation on the standard cab build
POSITIVES:
-->employs a fair method of stealth and can be put in open instead of hidden in basement
-->all other positives shared with standard cab
--> you will have a shelf for your dvds/cds/books :-D
NEGATIVES:
-->takes alot of time
--> takes some understanding of woodworking

Stealth refridgerator
this could be used with a full size fridge/medium/or small size.. but ideal is the medium 3.5 footish-fridge
POSITIVES:
-->ballast /powersupply/etc fits easily in the area the fridge normally comes with all its wiring and cooling equip (usually in the back on the bottom) and it stays stealth and air cooled.
--> all fridges are already painted white on the inside.
--> an old one of these fridges could run you 30-40 bucks at a garage sale or in a local ad. (or maybe your friend has a broken one!)
--> 3.5 feet is good space to work with for growing.
-->natural insulation of the fridge will easily muffle fan noise and light hum.
NEGATIVES:
-->difficult to figure out a stealth method of accessing the inside. this will take some work. or if you can put it in a basement/closet/corner of busy room this will not be a negative
-->no control on space available.

Some other ideas I have involve variations on the standard cab box

One idea is putting it under a fishtank deeming it the
fishtank cab
POSITIVES:
-->fishtank provides good camo for the cab
-->fishtank bubbling noises cover up fan noise
-->all other positives that standard cab has
NEGATIVES:
-->fishtank draws people to it and they may smell the plants if you have no odor control devices in place or have too many plants/overwhelming smell
-->you should spend time to lacquer and finish it so it looks like a regular stand for a fishtank and looks normal instead of unfinished wood
--> may heat up the water in your fishtank .. lol

Another idea is under a lamp ontop a cab
this is the
lamptop cab
it is just a variation on a standard cab, but touched up to look like a regular household wood stained stand
POSITIVES:
-->good camo for the cab
-->more or less inconspicuous- especially if put as a nightstand or in your room.
-->lamp has low risk of falling over or breaking compared to how much stealth it offers
NEGATIVES:
--> you should spend time to lacquer and finish it up so it looks like a regular nightstand or lampstand
--> fan noise not covered by anything

anyone else have some ideas?

EDIT: Below I Will Add Ideas From Other Users

Freezer chest- thanks to FreezerBoy
No one has ever opened my freezer or asked what's inside.
POSITIVES:
-->"freezers commonly come with built in locks."
--> very good stealth- uncommon to look in another persons freezer
-->insulation makes fan noises null
--> already comes painted white (or with white plastic) for reflectivity
NEGATIVES:
-->obtaining a freezer may not be so easy or inexpensive
--> requires some space and may not be easily used in apartment
--> "major P.I.T.A. to mod." (some made of steel or hard metals)

edit: thanks to Bender for this one
Stealth location Grow (attic)
Idea taken from Benders thread on Stealth Attic Grow
POSITIVES:
--> almost always great amount of space for everything. plants/lights/ballast/fans/etc.
--> easily partitioned for vege/flower spaces
--> no worry of visitors checking it out
--> easy access instead of opening cab
--> easy to ventilate via fan through roof
NEGATIVES:
--> easily detected in an IR /heat scan by enforcement
--> nearly always requires a house

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
"you cannot control the size of the grow"? Are dressers possessed of some magical curse the other systems lack?

For those thinking fridge, consider freezers. People open my fridge without a second thought. No one has ever opened my freezer or asked what's inside. Beyond that, freezers commonly come with built in locks. A padlock on a fridge raises questions.

Updated the list, thanks FreezerBoy.

as far as controlling the size, youre limited to the size of the dresser. if you get a 2 foot tall dresser, you cannot grow 3 foot tall plants!

most other options off customizability - grow tents / custom cabs of all sorts

I wouldn't have put on a padlock for the record. I was going to make it locked non-visibly. Was thinking of accessing it via a back panel and permanently latching closed the door so when someone goes to open it, the door doesnt even open. I would probably also have just put it in a corner or storage space like large closet as not to warrant such random openings. I'm still convinced this would be an awesome grow and if I ever get a house I may run one of these mini fridges for a flowering chamber and use my dresser as vege. or other way around!

FreezerBoy

Veteran
as far as controlling the size, youre limited to the size of the dresser. if you get a 2 foot tall dresser, you cannot grow 3 foot tall plants!

Ah, OK. True to a point. Thunks grow 7-8 feet in the wild, I kept my first to less than 24" and my second closer to 12" with the use of ScrOG. While I was only able to harvest 20-30% of the plants potential, I was able to utilize about 70% of the cab's potential on the first and maybe 90% on the second as I learned more about ScrOG.

As to freezer cons, I'd say they're relatively easy and cheap to find but, they are a MAJOR pita to mod. The newer ones are plastic inside. Older models like mine are twin layers of steel.

You're spot on concerning location. In the garage, it's invisible. In a living room it would be a major conversation starter.

Ah, OK. True to a point. Thunks grow 7-8 feet in the wild, I kept my first to less than 24" and my second closer to 12" with the use of ScrOG. While I was only able to harvest 20-30% of the plants potential, I was able to utilize about 70% of the cab's potential on the first and maybe 90% on the second as I learned more about ScrOG.

As to freezer cons, I'd say they're relatively easy and cheap to find but, they are a MAJOR pita to mod. The newer ones are plastic inside. Older models like mine are twin layers of steel.

You're spot on concerning location. In the garage, it's invisible. In a living room it would be a major conversation starter.

edit

FreezerBoy, you mention scrogging.. have you ever done alot of LST to keep a flat canopy instead? why or why don't you prefer LST over scrogging in a small area?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
edit

FreezerBoy, you mention scrogging.. have you ever done alot of LST to keep a flat canopy instead? why or why don't you prefer LST over scrogging in a small area?

Some like Coke, some like Pepsi, some like RC. LST is great! I find ScrOG more ... enjoyable. 20 weeks of tying is 20 weeks regardless of method but, LST would mean a lot of string to work around and finding places to attach. ScrOG takes 1/2 inch twist ties and the screens right there to attach to. Not so important in an 8 week grow but, longer grows turn the plant into a real maze.

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Large style "Job site tool chest" in a garage or workshop.

A hollowed out tree !!

Digging out 900 cubic feet of rock hard dirt from under your house
(like I did this last week) 1 shovel full at a time !!! :1help:

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
I think a large-ish dehumidifier would be great. They're a decent size, good height, and they make a loud whir noise and have air streaming out. Just put a green led in the power light.

Bender

Great idea for a thread. Anybody need info on attic growing let me know. When we finally get our room finished and dialed in I'll try to gather as many details as possible about what we did and why but for now the biggest issue I will emphasize for planning an attic grow is going to be cost. Lots of big-boy toys were required to even make it a viable grow-space, let alone stealth to the public and visiting guests. Temperature swings are insane and you better have the insulation and the hardware to negate them.