What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

~Star~Crash~ All & Everything

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be glad you weren’t an American Bison in the late 1800s … the massacre, was primarily to “control, and subjugate the American Indians” , by depriving them of their primary food source … estimate for this picture are somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 skulls that “they” kept to grind up bone meal fertilizer…
IMG_3763.jpeg

oldmaninbc

420club
The cats actually have been playing the last week or so. Jumping at the door, rolling around, running from window to door, back to window. Kitty has been accepting of chin inches and full body strokes. Really coming out of her shell.

As for the botanical garden we went to check out a new featured sky walk. Pretty cool.

“The Sky Walk, built from Southern Yellow Pine, stands 65 feet above ground level at its highest point suspending visitors over a glacial kettle hole, showcasing the unique topography and peaceful forest of Hidden Lake Gardens. The suspension bridge is 374 feet in length with the entire structure encompassing 726 feet.”

Not the best pic but It is a very cool bridge. Bounces and sways as you walk on it since it is just supported by cables.

View attachment 19089107
I had to look up glacial kettle holes, was not familiar with them. That's a spiffy looking bridge, looks like it has a viewing platform and plenty of length.
As I sit here I keep thinking about how it must have smelt, at this time of year.
Very nice.

oldmaninbc

420club
Be glad you weren’t an American Bison in the late 1800s … the massacre, was primarily to “control, and subjugate the American Indians” , by depriving them of their primary food source … estimate for this picture are somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 skulls that “they” kept to grind up bone meal fertilizer… View attachment 19089121
I use to work as a cultural interpreter at a historic site. In one of my educational programs I showed similar photos and information. What a shame on human nature.

Reading the memoirs of a buffalo hunter, I recall him saying that he was able to work very long hours because of the wild buffalo meat he ate. When he started eating beef he was never able to be as productive.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Reading the memoirs of a buffalo hunter, I recall him saying that he was able to work very long hours because of the wild buffalo meat he ate. When he started eating beef he was never able to be as productive.
beef has fat marbled pretty much throughout the meat, bison fat was/is concentrated in the hump. i wonder if this had anything to do with it ? i had a ribeye cut of bison a couple of years ago, it was incredible!

oldmaninbc

420club
beef has fat marbled pretty much throughout the meat, bison fat was/is concentrated in the hump. i wonder if this had anything to do with it ? i had a ribeye cut of bison a couple of years ago, it was incredible!
That sounds like a possibility regarding the hump. I have eaten raised bison and it was very lean.

I don't remember much about the hunters memoirs but was reminded of his comment concerning productivity from the previous post by FP.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
“Yes, domestic cats are descended from the African wildcat, Felis silvestris lybica:
  • Domestication
    The domestication of cats began in the Fertile Crescent region of the Middle East over 9,000 years ago.
  • Relationship with humans
    The relationship between cats and humans began in Ancient Egypt around 4000 BC.The Egyptians welcomed cats into their homes to keep snakes away and eventually began to worship them as sacred animals.
  • Appearance
    African wildcats are slightly taller than domestic cats with longer legs, giving them a more upright posture. Their coats are usually a uniform color of red, sandy, brown, or gray, with faint stripes.
The domestication of cats is considered one of the most successful biological experiments ever undertaken. The process of domestication was likely aided by the rise in the house mouse population, which attracted wild cats to human settlements.

• Spread
    Domestic cats were exported to Asia and Europe, and arrived in North America in the 17th century.
  • Selective breeding
    Selective breeding of cats to achieve specific looks or temperaments began around 150 years ago.

The African wildcat is still found today in the Savannah in the Middle East and Africa. It's similar to the domestic cat in many ways, but there are some differences:
  • Size: African wildcats are slightly taller and have longer legs than domestic cats.
  • Posture: African wildcats have a more upright posture, especially when sitting.
  • Walking gait: African wildcats have a walking gait more like that of a serval or cheetah than domestic cats.