What's new

Spontaneous sowing

Hello all. little surprise in my garden today! last year I had to grow taomatic to produce seeds and do some crossbreeding. of the 11 seeds in the pack that germinated, 10 had grown. among which I had selected 3 males and 3 females. after 2 months of growth, they started to reproduce and form seeds. I let the plants live their lives and die a natural death. at harvest, seeds fell but I didn't give it more importance than that. and here are the results! spontaneous sowing!

Attachments

• 20230212_170630.jpg
    20230212_170630.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 96

William76

Hello all. little surprise in my garden today! last year I had to grow taomatic to produce seeds and do some crossbreeding. of the 11 seeds in the pack that germinated, 10 had grown. among which I had selected 3 males and 3 females. after 2 months of growth, they started to reproduce and form seeds. I let the plants live their lives and die a natural death. at harvest, seeds fell but I didn't give it more importance than that. and here are the results! spontaneous sowing!

U never know could be bomb!,unless their a problem I'd let them do there thing.76

hello to all, some germs have been eaten by slugs and the soil scratched by birds probably. so I put fine branches and slug pellets to protect them. it is the only intervention on my part. the pot is always outside, watered by the morning dew and the rare rain. there are still many freezes in this season, the growth is slow but I am at 47° and it is early in the season.

Attachments

• 20230301_151240.jpg
    20230301_151240.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 74
Hi all. there were a few germs that couldn't stand the cold (-2°c) and the humidity, but the rest is holding up! so I thought about the idea of making 3 types of selections during the year in sowing directly in the ground:

- a very early one, to select the most cold-resistant seedlings.

-one during the normal season, for drought resistance and performance.

- a late one for the cold and humidity at the end of flowering during December.

IndicaFarmer

hello to all, some germs have been eaten by slugs and the soil scratched by birds probably. so I put fine branches and slug pellets to protect them. it is the only intervention on my part. the pot is always outside, watered by the morning dew and the rare rain. there are still many freezes in this season, the growth is slow but I am at 47° and it is early in the season.
i like to make little cages of fine mesh. makes like little box/greenhouse thingies, until the stalks are thick enough to resist slug damage.

hello to all, the cold periods seem to pass but there is a lot more and there is fog frequently. the humidity is high, it causes a lot of damage, more than the cold I feel. some germs rot on the feet. it's very typical weather for this time of year.

Attachments

• 20230316_174914.jpg
    20230316_174914.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 73
hi everyone, germination losses are common, it's called damping off at home. with the humidity there are cryptogamic diseases which attack the seedlings. the producer of this variety is Czech therefore continental climate, here it is a temperate oceanic climate.
I have some seeds to play with, I will probably do a lot more sowing, like several seeds per pot with lots of cups. its will allow me to select only the most resistant.

Attachments

• 20230319_092757.jpg
    20230319_092757.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 72
hello to all, growth level is stagnating a bit, humidity leads to cryptogamic diseases. its been fatal for half of the germs.
The ideal period for outdoor cultivation is from May to October. the seedlings which seem to resist the best are those which germinated first, which had time to harden off and those which germinated after the period of damp cold and fog.
since I intend to make selections for resistance, I will sow in February next year. this years is just an unforeseen test.
the rain returns in the middle of August, which is why a very late selection will select those most resistant to the wet cold at the end of the year.

Hello everyone. the 5 big ones are among the first sprouts that were raised in February are still there and have grown, another has grown in the meantime and a small last one has just come out of the ground. to see how they will grow and begin to bloom. the taomatics declared themselves after 2 and a half months of growth.

Attachments

• 20230414_164223.jpg
    20230414_164223.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 75