What's new

Smart Pots

onegreenday

Veteran
Plant support stake for smart pots?

Take a bamboo stake and wrap with rubber bungy cord;

then wrap around smart pot. You can so this 2x to hold the stake firm;
or shove bamboo stake into soil but that can damage roots.........

T

theJointedOne

yeah we also threw cages around the plant a few weeks into the season and they worked great as a large style scrog and supporting

DeepFried

drip systems

drip systems

After reading this entire thread it looks like if I want to use smart pots that drip feeding is the way to go?. My plan in my cab is 2 plants in #3's using Simba's suggestion of a mix of:
70% bcuzz bounce coco
30% higromite
with a Drip system / Ebb Flow hybrid

Using a small flood box I plan to flood maybe only once per day and use the drip system the rest of the time. Am I adding un needed complexity with the flood added? I will be setting the pots on a wire screen elevated 1 inch from the bottom for air circulation.

What would be the best drip ring etc. to get for use with the smart pots?. I have no experience with drip rings and the added watering requirements of the smart pots.

onegreenday

Veteran
if you flood well they won't need drip.
they absorb water quick & easy.
you could flush yourself once & a while if u like.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Hate to come in as a negative nancy, but smartpots are a ripoff and don't do any good to growing marijuana. If you were growing a perennial then yes, I could see this as being good, but we're not.

Cool Moe

Veteran
Will be puttin' the smart pots to a big test this summer at 26N in organic soil medium. My outdoor grow area gets flooded with standing water during these months so I use containers raised off the ground. Been using plastic 5 gals but heat and sun are brutal down here from June through September and I want to avoid heat stress in the roots. My spidey senses are tellin' me these smarts will be the ticket. I'll be doing side by side with same size plastic pots for comparison and will report back.

Mr Celsius

Veteran

11376DSCF2259-thumb.JPG

11376DSCF2256.JPG

12245IMG_7748.JPG

949IMG_1005.JPG

Should I keep going? Cause I can post about 200 more pics. None of those are smart pots.

What you just basically said was: I got bit by a snake while there's a full moon, so the full moon must have caused me to be bitten.

Oh, and Mr. C, sorry but you just got owned

No I wasn't. He can grow weed. Good job... guess what, so can most of the other people on this site.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
hah those last post are funny do your thing guys no need to get heated up over smart pots smoke weeeeed :) nice fucking plants there
whats strain is that?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
MR Celsius, smart pots function much better than standard plastic pots when growing outdoors.... They also work very well in e&f tables.

But I have tried side-by-side comparisons indoors, and there is no difference in growth rate. my moms in smart pots took longer to get rootbound.

both plastic and fabric pots have their place in different situations.

BTW, i love that SoQuick picture... never seen such big colas with no veg.

D

Darkstarlive

Mr. Celsius,
You stated that smart pots are not good for growing weed and that statement is completely false. They are better than plastic pots because you don't get rootbound, they create solid mass of feeder roots, more oxygen to the roots.
I love them and have not used a standard plastic pot ever since I tried smart pots. Yeah, you can still get a good crop with standard pots but its personal preference.
Anyone considering trying smart pots go for it and see for yourself the benefits of using smart pots.

Peace...

for most people smart pots are a total waste of money and youll see no benefit, if your growing monsters great go with them but for the average indoor grow with a 4 week-6 week veg which is on the loooooooong side youll still see no benefit with theese, just less money in your wallet. nobodies usein grow bags with holes punched in them and singing there praises as root peep out the holes just the same. there meant for the long haul like outdoor cycles were the plant has a 5 month life span. indoors for about 90 percent of us there a over priced joke.

Cool Moe

Veteran
I'll be trying them outdoors for the long season (6-7 months life span) in frequent rain/extreme heat, all organic, on a much smaller scale than the pics above. I like the idea of root temps running 40degrees cooler than plastic. Agreed though I would not want to buck up for 300 of these bags. Mr. C, nice pics, you're good at what you do.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
I'll be trying them outdoors for the long season (6-7 months life span) in frequent rain/extreme heat, all organic, on a much smaller scale than the pics above. I like the idea of root temps running 40degrees cooler than plastic. Agreed though I would not want to buck up for 300 of these bags. Mr. C, nice pics, you're good at what you do.

Not my pics

First ones are hunterwoundedft's "4k GDP grow"
Then Pico's "Polystyrene Dream"
Last one is So Quicks "Icmag is boring as shit"

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Should I keep going? Cause I can post about 200 more pics. None of those are smart pots.

What you just basically said was: I got bit by a snake while there's a full moon, so the full moon must have caused me to be bitten.

No I wasn't. He can grow weed. Good job... guess what, so can most of the other people on this site.

No, posting pics of other peoples grows gets you no cred in this conversation, but I did clearly disprove your theory that Smartpots are no good for growing weed. They work wonderfully in my system, and in others. On a large scale they are less work to clean and store better/more compact than "typical" pots, grow better root systems faster, and ensure a more evenly watered medium.

Of course you can grow weed in all sorts of things, and all sorts of mediums, but I do this to grow large quantities of high quality product. Anything that makes my life easier or helps my grow is good with me!

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I'm not going to read the whole thread but ime smartpots have enabled to put a bigger plant in a smaller pot. I think even someone who had no idea what was going on could see that better airflow through the root zone along with the air pruning effect it has would make it worth it right there.

Also I'm pretty sure that a lower root temperature means that the plants themselves can withstand a bit hotter of an environment. Am I wrong?

Whats not to like about the smart pots besides the price? I can think of a lot of other shit to cut out before I wouldn't have enough money to buy smartpots.

signed a FULL supporter of smartpots.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
No, posting pics of other peoples grows gets you no cred in this conversation

It makes no difference to me whether I have "cred" or not with you. I proved my point. I don't need to post pics of stuff I've grown. I don't have a small dick syndrome and don't plan on adopting that attitude.

If it works for you man, go for it. This isn't a personal attack on your methods or how good of a grower you are. More power to ya if you like smart pots... just one thing though: don't convince people to waste their money. I've done the side by side tests with them, in ebb n' flow and just on the ground. No difference.

Root pruning is good for mothers.... and I can't think of any other application.

I've said my piece, have a wonderful day everyone and don't be mad if you wasted your money after people warned you.

Latest posts

Latest posts