What's new

Small veins in leaves yellowing mid flower, Pictures inside

Xanode

For comparisons sake, here is a small cut of the same plant but grown in soil, under CFL's. Is this how healthy leaves are supposed to look, flat as a tac? i now see what your saying about the apex of the leaf begin to bend slightly before the necrosis starts.

It was fed canna classic vega/flores, at around 1000-1500ppm till flush. It did not show any of these symptoms, While i 99% agree with you guys that im burning these current cuts in the coco, the soil plant was naturally fed up at PH 6.5 - 6.8, which could indicate that this MAY also be PH related.... meh i don't know... thanks for taking the time to check this out.

picture.php

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
It's definitely not pH related, this is a classic example of aggressive feeding.

Even in the soil plants, you can still see the dark 'forrest green' colour of the leaves, the leaf tips are starting the bend, and the necrosis is beginning.

Your soil simply appears to be better at buffering the excess salts, but the same problem persists.

I don't know about the coco situation you are using, but if you were in soil with a larger pot, you could definitely feed less and get better results. You would have to water 1/2 as often, and could get away with feed, water, feed, water - only hammering them with 1000+ ppm when you see them really putting on mass.

1500 ppm is a nutrient manufacturers dream because they want to sell you more salt. You do not need to feed small plats like that so aggressively, it's excessive and your flowers will taste and smoke much better with less aggressive feeding.

Xanode

It's definitely not pH related, this is a classic example of aggressive feeding.

Even in the soil plants, you can still see the dark 'forrest green' colour of the leaves, the leaf tips are starting the bend, and the necrosis is beginning.

Your soil simply appears to be better at buffering the excess salts, but the same problem persists.

I don't know about the coco situation you are using, but if you were in soil with a larger pot, you could definitely feed less and get better results. You would have to water 1/2 as often, and could get away with feed, water, feed, water - only hammering them with 1000+ ppm when you see them really putting on mass.

1500 ppm is a nutrient manufacturers dream because they want to sell you more salt. You do not need to feed small plats like that so aggressively, it's excessive and your flowers will taste and smoke much better with less aggressive feeding.

Thanks for the reply, yea now when i think of it i was lucky to get away with that little soil plant at such high ppm.

All the details about my coco should be in the questionnaire in the OP, anyhow its all canna, coco and coco nutes.

I'm still very mucha novice and if you saw my veg plants in soil B4 i switched to coco, you would cry, they looked horrible... since making the swith to coco my stuff is 100% healthyer, i couldn't get the feed/water timing down. In coco im finding things allot more precice, even though I'm having this burn.

All things said, for a noob like me, at least the plants are still actively growing and fattening up nicly, they may not be huge, but i should get a nice little harvest for myself use. All i can do now is see how they go after this decent flush.

Thanks again.

Xanode

Update:

I've now flushed them with enough straight tap water, PH 5.8, to the point where out ppm is same as in ppm.

The problem seems to be compounding, its happening at an even faster rate on the younger plant than the first one, instead of vien yellowing I'm now getting dark red rust spots appearing. And this plant has been on a very light feed since noticing this on the first plant, plus one, half decent flush when the first plant showed and now a full flush for the past 2 days. All PH to 5.8,

Basically i haven't fed the younger plant more than 200- 300ppm for over a week and still burning.... can coco still hold onto something that the meter can't pick up?

The runoff is still coming out at a very high PH, 7.8 - 8.0 even though it's straight water and PH'd, even now after the flush, i could put through straight water at ph 5.8 and it will runoff at 7.8 - 8.0, is this really normal?

All the while there is a third plant(same age) that has had the exact same treatment as the other 2 and is not show a single symptom... wtf

Also as stated in the questionnaire, i do have a very small gnat problem, could this be the cause?

How will i know when the burn/problem/def stops? will the leaf edges eventually flatten or is it permanent? As the plant are virtually not producing anymore leaf material, new leaf growth will be hard to see if anything is improving.

What about adding some cal/mag? will that help?

And again, much thanks for all the help.

Xanode

plants aren't magic takes time to see the effects. just wait it out you'll see new growth start taking off again.
Thanks for replying

That's another strange thing, growth hasn't stopped at all, buds are blowing up more and more everyday.

How long should i wait before feeding again and how much should i start them on?

Any thoughts on the plant that's not showing any of these symptoms but being fed exactly the same?

Thanks again.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
sorry. got confused. so many help thread i'm subscribed to.

you should see that the damage stops spreading, you're pretty far along into flower so you prolly wont be seeing anything noticable. when i say new growth i mean new leaves and nodes forming from the top. i don't mean flowers getting big. this last pic you posted looks like its about 2-3 weeks out from harvest. shouldn't you be fading that one anyway?

Xanode

sorry. got confused. so many help thread i'm subscribed to.

you should see that the damage stops spreading, you're pretty far along into flower so you prolly wont be seeing anything noticable. when i say new growth i mean new leaves and nodes forming from the top. i don't mean flowers getting big. this last pic you posted looks like its about 2-3 weeks out from harvest. shouldn't you be fading that one anyway?

Yea the main plant in question has been on tap water for the past 3 days and I'll only be giving it kelp or maybe boost? every couple of waterings till allot more trichs are cloudy. I haven't flowered very many plants of this strain, so im not to sure how long the flowering period is, but yes its getting close.

Thanks again for the help.

Xanode

I know it hasn't been that long, but this yellowing, now blotching, has accelerated even further instead of stopping, and is starting to frustrate the hell out of me

First plant, still burning badly, bad yellowing and rust spots appearing on more leaves in the past day, even though this plant has been on just about straight water for near 7 days, and will continue to be until harvest... there's no more nutes left in its medium now and its still burning rapidly instead of flushing....

Second plant, which has effectively been on straight water also is probably happening even faster, all its top leaves are covered with this yellowing and rust spots, nearly overnight, this also has nothing left in the medium, but still burning rapidly....

All the while plant 3.... not a damn mark

Im not saying anyones wrong, just asking do plants normally keep burning after a week of straight water? this ain't slowing down one bit, rather accelerating... Sorry to be a pain in the ass, im just frustrated. Is there anything else at all i can do to stop this from burning even further? should i feed them some cal/mag?

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
pics would help. of the whole plant not just a leaf.

burns are fast. deficiencies are slow. you're most likely seeing deficiencies from the flush you did.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
PBL is right, post a new pic so we can see what's up. Could have compounded into a deficiency as he is stating.

Xanode

Ok back with the new pics,

Upon opening the tent, I think the problem may be slowing down and i may have jumped the gun a bit. I'm just edgy as its getting near to harvest.

although they are worse(but also more swollen too, so that's a saving grace) than in the last set of pics growth hasn't slowed noticeably(im not seeing things am i?)

Also been thinking until i learn how to feed in coco, in the future should i flush then feed, flush, feed , etc.. basically flushing with straight water between each feed?

Anyway what should my next course of action be? keep flushing or start adding nutes again to plants 2 and 3? 1 is done and is getting the chop in 6 days.

Again, much thanks for all the help.

Overview of plant 1(oldest/original plant) and 2(notice the tiny pot plant 1 is in, major noob mistake:
picture.php

Plant 1:
picture.php
picture.php

I think this pic shows the extent of the yellowing on 1
picture.php

Plant 2:
picture.php

Plant 2 continued in next post:

Last edited:

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Nice looking plants. I wouldn't worry about deficiencies at this point. I dunno how many days those go for but they look really close. I personally wouldn't even feed anymore i would just drop my ppms to like 200 and let em starve out.

As for the pot size in coco you can use smaller pot, you just water more and feed less ppm. I'm sure your overall issue was just too high ppm/ec. More frequent waterings at lower ppm will make your shit blow up.

Hi there,
Sounds like your close to getting squared away, on your older plant, you likely wont notice a visible "improvement" before its time to chop, but your plant will still smoke better if you get it flushed out, so id be thinking down that route, and just chop a bit early, call it good and move some nice healthy plants in no big deal, live and learn. Seems like you got your younger plants flushed out nicely, you can definitely ease back into feeding, just keep it light, youll be alright! I never ran canna, and am for sure no coco expert, just mess around, (im a soil guy), not trying to "toot my own horn", but the plant in the picture that won me Grower of the Month, was never fed more than 600 ppm (V+B) and only watered once a day in a 2 liter pot, straight coco. I just think people end up waaay over doing the nutes all the time. Youll have it dialed in no time. It always takes a run or two to really square away a cut. Best luck, keep us posted.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Looks like calcium was being locked out due to too high of ppm....imo anyway. :)

Calcium can also get locked out due to feeding a lot of phosphorus, like a bloom booster. I believe that was my problem earlier when I said mine were just starting to do what yours were. I was feeding hydroplex pretty often.

ghdaddy

I too am a newb...only finished one harvest so far. When I see that yellowing late into flower, I thought that was basically just the plant running out of nitrogen. I also grow in coco. Am I way off base? Please excuse my extreme novice(ness).

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I see over fert but I bet it's multiple problems. If you flushed with straight water then you fucked up the cocos cation level which causes more problems. Also what kind of ph pen do you have and do you also have the ph drops to check to see how close to the correct ph you are. I'm not talking the liquids to set ph but the GH drops to check ph.

Xanode

I see over fert but I bet it's multiple problems. If you flushed with straight water then you fucked up the cocos cation level which causes more problems. Also what kind of ph pen do you have and do you also have the ph drops to check to see how close to the correct ph you are. I'm not talking the liquids to set ph but the GH drops to check ph.

Being this close to harvest I'm not to fussed bout discharging/fucking the coco's buffers.

I have an eBay pen, and the backup drops. I also always keep the pen stored in storage solution and regularly check calibration, for an eBay shitty pen, it keeps calibrated if ALWAYS stored in storage solution and is fairly snappy also, not slow at all. Every so often after PHing with the pen ill double check it with the drops and both are the same.

You think this maybe Ph as well? been reading around and the norm seems to be 5.8 early bloom, then by late bloom its gets brought up to 6.1, 6.2 late bloom, what do you reckon?