What's new

Seedlings and trichomes

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Anyone know if there is any correlation between seedlings with more first leaf trichome coverage and ultimate potency?

I was looking at some seedlings under a scope, Most had only pointy "hairs" and a few scattered chomes. However, in a Sour Queen x Sour Queen I made the little leaves are LOADED with milky chomes.

le672

Well, if no one else is going to say anything... I can at least say that in other plants, mutations that result in trichomes on cotyledons also cause an increase in trichomes in all the places they are actually supposed to be. In fact, it could be an excellent way to select for later trichome production. You could start with many thousands of seeds, and leave only the few with the highest density on the cotyledons for breeding. Of course, the density of trichomes is only one of several variables affecting final potency. Crossing this trait into strains with very high potency, but with fewer trichomes, might result in a more potent strain.

Hidyn

That's an interesting observation. But milky white? Hopefully you dont get a plant that develops extremely early thc degradation. Otherwise you might be on to something awesome!

Good luck!

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I personally don't think it makes a difference in potency. I think usually tric's are a good sign, but a plant with earlier forming tric's or more than another strain does not mean it will be more potent. Just speaking from my personal experience.

TGT

Latest posts

Latest posts