What's new

Run Off Smells Like Sulfur/Metallic

DaHamentashkid

Title says it all. I noticed the smell a week or so after transplant and a couple of days after I began using Jack's 321. At first it was just one plant and as the last week has gone by it seems to be progressing to the others. I've been watering daily to 20 percent run-off with a pH of 6.15 and around 1100 EC.

I did some preliminary research and gave them a hydrogen peroxide flush tonight thinking it might be root rot. Has anyone experienced this with Jack's or is it possible there was something in my new batch of coco that's causing this? Sorry if this is somewhere else in the archives. I'm not getting a return on any results using the search function. I appreciate anyone taking the time to weigh in.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
this is quite funny as there was just a thread about a very similar issue, you should check it out. are you using pure coco coir? i sadly have no hands on experience with jacks 321. it could be the new coco just need a good flush and then the smell will go away. not a fan of hydrogen peroxide as it kills the good guys as well as the bad and normally coco has no problem maintaining the good guys in the majority. if you let the coco dry out a day or 2 after the flush it should clear up, specially if we are talking pure coco.